Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: mage2] #1886207 12/03/10 04:27 PM
G
Gators2561 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Well you can tell their are a lot of different opinions on here from a some experienced hunters for sure. The shoulder shot is great and no negative feed back if you are a good shot, plenty of time and just scared to aim small and miss small. if you hit a deer with a well placed neck shot he is not going anywhere. That is the redneck kill shot, and that is the facts. If you have to worry about where the deer is gonna run after the shot it is the best option. Meaning if you dont own alot of land or a big lease where you can watch the deer run for 300 yds and still be on your property neck shot may be your choice. Now if im hunting south texas or open country with miles of visibility or if I have all the time in the world to track it and dont care where it runs shoulder shot is by far the best. Just dont be negative with neck shots from lack of experience cause I promise you send your dogs after a hell of lot more deer that were aimed at behind the shoulder than the neck.

Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: Gators2561] #1886271 12/03/10 04:44 PM
T
tx270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I've seen two neck shot deer that ran so far they were killed a few weeks later a mile or so away......both had large wounds/scabs from the previous DRT neck shot.

I once shot a deer at the base of the neck in South Texas at about 100 yds, dead center, or so it looked. He fell like lightning struck so I went to gathering my things. I look up and he's regained his feet and running for the other side of the sendero, luckily the gun is still out window and I'm able to put one through his shoulders right before he hits the brush. He had an exit wound the size of a softball in his neck.

Second time that happened to me personally with two different calibers and bullets, and with the other two I witnessed, no more neck shots for me unless I have no other choice.

The fact is, the spine is quite small in comparison to the total neck area. Miss it even by an inch and you've got a lost deer.

If I want the deer to drop fast, its throught the shoulders, even if they do move it will be without their front running gear and means 20 yds or less.

This is just based on over a hundred big game animals I've taken plus that many more I've witnessed taken by others so I'm sure I don't have a clue what I'm talking about......or I must be scared to "aim small".

Bill

Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: tx270] #1886519 12/03/10 05:53 PM
G
Gators2561 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Your choice from past experience and not trying to tell people to go for neck shots just dont want people to tell people "never neck shoot" is foolish. Yes you can hit the meaty part of the neck giving the deer a whiplash effect or basically knock him out causing him to drop, and yes he can get up and run off. Now that is not a fatal shot. unless infection sets in or he bleeds out which is more than likely not gonna happen. Now if you have hunted enough you know deer are tough as hell and can handle such injuries. What a deer can not live with is a misplaced shoulder shot that hits far back. And like I said before a lot more deer are lost due to misplaced shoulder shot than a misplaced neck shot. With that said a lot more deer are killed by shoulder shot because it is the most common target. Which I agree should be in most circumstances. My point being dont negate neck shots to uneducated hunters it is more than a efficient way to kill white tail.

Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: Gators2561] #1886584 12/03/10 06:13 PM
T
tx270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Your right most deer hit above the spine will heal up and be ok, my two examples above are proof of this. But below the spine hits are different, blow out the windpipe of a deer and they will be lost 99% of the time, but they will suffer greatly before they die.

I understand your points but I think it is wrong to encourage inexperienced hunters to be taking neck shots. As we both said the spine is very small, the shoulders are very large.

Why recommend the small target to an inexperienced hunter/shooter who is more likely to pull the shot and not hit exactly where they are aiming?

Would make more sense to me to suggest the neck shot to an experienced shooter who is more likely to make a direct hit where its needed, which is necessary with a neck shot.

Me personally, I'll never recommend a neck shot when a shoulder or chest shot is available, but to each his own.

I just have a problem with the "neck shot is 100% DRT" theory, because that is absolutely false.

Bill

Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: tx270] #1886617 12/03/10 06:25 PM
G
Gators2561 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Agree with the 100% rarely anything is that. My only argument is that I would rather have someone miss the neck a little than the shoulder a little. A gut shot deer is worse off than a nicked neck shot deer. JMO But yea if you have a young hunter and a good sound rest, take your time deer broadside behind the shoulder shot should be taken. But we both know that more often than not neck shot is DRT.

Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: tx270] #1886645 12/03/10 06:33 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Lots of different opinions on this subject, bottom line is shoot them where you can hit them! I love a neck shot and will take one every time depending on the circumstances, range, rest, mount or not, weather im shaking like a leaf or not.

Yeah if you pull or mis or clip the jugular or esophogas it isnt pretty, but it is just as ugly if you blow off a leg or bust the brisket barely cut the guts crease the top of their back... and the list goes on. Bad shots are bad shots and they can happen in all situations with all shots, many say " I have never lost one with a behind the shoulder shot" well this is for you "i have, but never lost one with a neck shot"! I believe all of the shots, with the exception of the Tx heart shot, have their place.

A neck shot is 100% drt... if you hit it where you need to, just like a shoulder shot or behind the shoulder shot is a guaranteed kill if you hit it... thats the problem... IF YOU HIT IT WHERE YOU ARE SUPOSED TO. I hear so many people say I made a perfect shot and didnt find him, well guess what if you did find him finaly you would find out you DIDNT make the perfect shot.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: redchevy] #1886661 12/03/10 06:40 PM
G
Gators2561 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
well Said redchevy! Another hunter who has put some meat in his freezer I can see.

Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: Gators2561] #1886862 12/03/10 08:07 PM
J
justinwp Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Neck Shot on Deer

Neck/Head:
Accurate Shot -> Dead
Shot Little off -> Slow Death (A deer going through the woods sounding like a chainsaw is not pleasant or good for hunters.)
Shot way off -> Nothing

Behind Shoulder:
Accurate Shot -> Dead
Shot Little Off -> Dead
Show way off -> Possible Gut Shot or Difficult to Find

So for me it is ALWAYS behind the shoulder.

Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: justinwp] #1887131 12/03/10 09:45 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Most hunters that start the shot placement topics in most cases are not the very experienced ones, but the inexperienced looking for advise from others.

I am not going to recomend neck shots to a new hunter or one of unknown skill as being the best shot to take, the target is too small for me to recomend it. I will recomend the shot with the largest margin of error.

The choice to take a shot or not is the hunters. If the crosshairs or sights are moving too much to stay within the kill zone of the shot being considered do not take the shot.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: where do i shoot a deer? [Re: kmon11] #1887500 12/04/10 12:26 AM
G
Gators2561 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
The question was asked Where do I shoot a deer for it to drop right there so he didnt mess up the shoulders. ONE simple answer....NECK SHOT...the end!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide