Page 1 of 2 1 2
Budget duck hunting #1743587 10/13/10 02:23 AM
N
Nonus Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Hello, I am fairly new to hunting. I am 26 years old and only hunted for the last couple years. Mainly dove and some deer and I want to duck hunt. My question is would I be wasting my time trying to duck hunt without a boat or dog? Is it possible and worthwhile to go out with just some waders, decoys, some camo and a shotgun? I want to learn to call as well but I think id do more harm than good trying to call my first hunt. Anyway, any tips for an aspiring duck hunter are very welcome.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: Nonus] #1743691 10/13/10 02:41 AM
H
Heisman25g Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
To be honest, I would hire a guide to go on your first hunt. Lots of good ones on here that have everyones respect and plenty of proof that they know what they are doing. Anyway, when you go, ask plenty of questions, take plenty of mental notes, and this will be your crash course into duck hunting. In my opinion there is no better way to do it and this experience will save you a ton of time in the long run. Safe hunting and hope this helps

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: Heisman25g] #1743807 10/13/10 03:02 AM
T
TrackQuack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
JJ, who is Whiskey&Me on here is a guide who offers a trip where he actually helps you understand duck hunting, gives you tips, and answers questions, I think his site is kentoutdoors.com could be wrong, if you aren't in the Dallas area he probably knows someone in your area who would be good to learn from.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: TrackQuack] #1743872 10/13/10 03:10 AM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Like mentioned above it would prolly be a good idea to go on a hunt or two with someone that knows what they are doing. Whether that be a guide or a friend, it would save you the long learning curve. But to answer your question I have been on tons of walkin hunts, without a dog. I have a boat and prolly walkin more than I boat in most years. They can come in handy for sure but you don't need them everywhere. Dogs are nice to have as well and they may save you a bird or two every other hunt but it is by no means a require thing to have.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: TrackQuack] #1743913 10/13/10 03:17 AM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
There was a commercial not to long ago, I think it went something like this "Just Do It!"

Cant learn to swim unless you get in the water and Academy has some of the cheapest equipment in town. TPWD is the website to research lakes and places to hunt along with the regulations, maybe even try making friends on here and then tag along.

Buck Gardner makes some real nice cheap calls, some even come with an instructional CD. Practice, practice, practice and then find JJ at one the seminars he holds at Cabelas and BPS, he will show you your mistakes and even make you sound better.

Start out with a dozen dekes, most places you walk in to are small bodies of water and along way from the car (less decoys=less weight).

My #1 rule for you after all I have said; bring toilet paper above all things.....

Oh yeah, if you get up early your not getting up early enough, if you set the clock for 3am make it 2am, makes it easier if your first to the spot.

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: Nonus] #1743984 10/13/10 03:34 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: Nonus
Is it possible and worthwhile to go out with just some waders, decoys, some camo and a shotgun?

That is more than I started with, your good to go.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: ndhunter] #1744005 10/13/10 03:41 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The biggest part of duck hunting is getting out there, scouting, and finding the ducks. A pair of waders is all you need for that.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: Nonus] #1744114 10/13/10 04:15 AM
T
TakeEm Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Nonus,

Boat; not needed when starting out.
Dog; not needed when starting out. But.....make sure you are facing the wind, or at an angle to the wind if you don't have a dog. Very Bad Form to shoot facing North with a South wind and to watch your downed birds float away.
If you hunt on no-wind days or where the wind will blow your downed birds into shore your are a Great Sportsman and hunter. Otherwise, you're doing nothing to help the sport.

Calling: a good rule is when you see ducks, short quack or quacks once, maybe twice. Just enough to get their attention. Then shut up and let the ducks come in.
Ducks don't quack like crazy when they see a flock overhead. The quack once in a while to say hello to their flock on the water.

Decoys; get 6-12. put 6 to the left and 6 to the right your first season. Leave a 20 foot spread in the middle for them to settle down into. That'll be plenty and work fine during year 1. (of course if you get HOOKED and end up hunting like a madman every 3 days, then you'll be on Year 2 experience in about 3 weeks!)

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: TakeEm] #1744237 10/13/10 07:09 AM
D
DeuceDeuce Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Scouting and networking are where its at. Find places you can access that ducks are using and you're in business. On the networking side, definitely seek out more experienced people you can hunt with. It doesn't matter how long you hunt, you'll still learn new things every season. If you're willing to put some legwork into finding new spots to hunt it helps make that relationship work.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: TakeEm] #1744476 10/13/10 01:08 PM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: TakeEm
Nonus,

Boat; not needed when starting out.
Dog; not needed when starting out. But.....make sure you are facing the wind, or at an angle to the wind if you don't have a dog. Very Bad Form to shoot facing North with a South wind and to watch your downed birds float away.
If you hunt on no-wind days or where the wind will blow your downed birds into shore your are a Great Sportsman and hunter. Otherwise, you're doing nothing to help the sport.

Calling: a good rule is when you see ducks, short quack or quacks once, maybe twice. Just enough to get their attention. Then shut up and let the ducks come in.
Ducks don't quack like crazy when they see a flock overhead. The quack once in a while to say hello to their flock on the water.

Decoys; get 6-12. put 6 to the left and 6 to the right your first season. Leave a 20 foot spread in the middle for them to settle down into. That'll be plenty and work fine during year 1. (of course if you get HOOKED and end up hunting like a madman every 3 days, then you'll be on Year 2 experience in about 3 weeks!)

I gotta admit. I wouldn't listen to any of his advice. scratch

All three of his points do not make sense to me.

Ducks appoach the decoys coming into the wind. So set up with the wind at your back or with a side wind. Almost never set up with the wind in your face. Be careful to not drop birds where they cannot be retrieved.

Ducks (mallards) are very vocal when other ducks are flying around over head.

Bottom line is that there will be a learning curve. Always remember if what you are doing is not working then try something different.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: DeuceDeuce] #1744480 10/13/10 01:09 PM
G
GOLDSTEIN Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I would suggest getting a guided trip or two under your belt first. Watch, study, and learn what the guide does and when. There is a reason they do it for a living.

Call this guy:
Jeff Elder
Silver Creek Guide Service
817-597-0781

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #1744518 10/13/10 01:24 PM
W
whby05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
you cant budget for duck hunting, its like crack. one you do it, you will lay awake at night hearing the sounds of wings and wonder how and where you can come up with the money for more... rifle nidea

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: TakeEm] #1744562 10/13/10 01:40 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Nonus,

But.....make sure you are facing the wind, or at an angle to the wind if you don't have a dog.

maybe the worst advice ever given on this forum.

#sigline
Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: #Hayraker] #1744594 10/13/10 01:51 PM
T
Texan1554 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
http://www.callingducks.com/content_article.aspx?ID=42

Short article giving the breakdown of major costs spent by most hunters. If you can dodge a few of the big ones you can hunt waterfowl fairly cheaply.

There are plenty of other articles on there with good advice to get you started.

No a boat is not needed, no a dog is not needed. Get the essentials... gun, waders, and decoys. Then it's just about finding the birds.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: Nonus] #1744694 10/13/10 02:22 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Nonus
Hello, new to hunting and I want to duck hunt.

My question is would I be wasting my time trying to duck hunt without a boat or dog? No and welcome to the sport, I'm still walking in after 4 years. And only get to hunt with a dog, if someone else brings it.

Is it possible and worthwhile to go out with just some waders, decoys, some camo and a shotgun? Yes

I want to learn to call as well but I think id do more harm than good trying to call my first hunt. I'd recommend getting the BUCK GARDNER DUCK CALLING COMBO KIT FROM MACKPW.COM It comes with the Double Nasty II call, which is a double reed and I find easy to learn on IMO.

Anyway, any tips for an aspiring duck hunter are very welcome.

1. I won't recommend a going with a guide, since your subject reads Budget duck hunting. To me that means there is no money in the budget. But do see if you can find someone you know to take you; might be hard to find someone on here to invite you, until folks get to know you.

2. I will recommend you start putting some money aside and go on the THF annual duck hunt. It would be a great oppertunity for you to get to know some folks and possible get an invite to hunt with some folks.

3. Get the APH which comes with map booklet of all the WMAs. Pick 1 or 2 lakes to go scout. You're looking for entry points you can get to walking in, but here is an article on scouting from WILDFOWL Magazine .
Mainly, you're looking to see where the birds want to be. Your challenge is finding a place you can get in and hunt without a dog or boat.

4. Recommand getting a copy of Texas Waterfowl [Paperback] by Chester Moore. (Can be found at Academy or online)

5. Shell recommendation Kent 3" #2 1560 FPS

I'm sure as the day goes, you'll get all sorts of tips.

[Linked Image]
Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: TrackQuack] #1744699 10/13/10 02:23 PM
J
jcav Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: TrackQuack
JJ, who is Whiskey&Me on here is a guide who offers a trip where he actually helps you understand duck hunting, gives you tips, and answers questions, I think his site is kentoutdoors.com could be wrong, if you aren't in the Dallas area he probably knows someone in your area who would be good to learn from.

+1

JSC
Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: #Hayraker] #1744712 10/13/10 02:27 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Hayraker
Nonus,

But.....make sure you are facing the wind, or at an angle to the wind if you don't have a dog.

maybe the worst advice ever given on this forum.

rofl

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: duckiller] #1744824 10/13/10 03:11 PM
T
TakeEm Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
To clarify:
For a BEGINNER on a LAKE without a dog; don't have the wind to your back as your ducks will float away.
You are correct, ducks set into the wind.

What I was attempting to illustrate to Nonus who says he hasn't hunted birds over water was that unlike dove and hogs over land, ducks float. And they float with the wind.

I've seen guys on big water lakes without dogs, shoot ducks and watch as they floated away.

From my viewpoint a couple hundreds yards away it was too far to send my dog after their ducks.

If you'll look I wrote "or at an angle".
So, yes, ducks set into the wind. For a beginner, make sure you can retrieve your birds if you don't have a dog with you.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: TakeEm] #1744909 10/13/10 03:36 PM
T
Texan1554 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
To clarify:
For a BEGINNER on a LAKE without a dog; don't have the wind to your back as your ducks will float away.
You are correct, ducks set into the wind.

What I was attempting to illustrate to Nonus who says he hasn't hunted birds over water was that unlike dove and hogs over land, ducks float. And they float with the wind.

I've seen guys on big water lakes without dogs, shoot ducks and watch as they floated away.

From my viewpoint a couple hundreds yards away it was too far to send my dog after their ducks.

If you'll look I wrote "or at an angle".
So, yes, ducks set into the wind. For a beginner, make sure you can retrieve your birds if you don't have a dog with you.

To alter this a bit..... Just don't shoot ducks where they will land in a place that you can not retrieve them, period. Most of your duck hunting should be done in water 18" deep or less. Don't pass shoot ducks over deep water and you won't have to worry about not being able to walk out and go get them.

Planning on the wind being your retriever is losing a battle.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: Texan1554] #1744950 10/13/10 03:50 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Coming online is a great resource but it will never replace having real friends that you can go out with and let them show you the ropes. So my recommendation is more of a social one...go out and network with other duck hunters...find someone that you can make friends with and offer to drive, pay for shells, whatever in exchange to let you tag along for some hunts.

Hunting on a budget can be done but it takes a lot of knowledge to get there and be successful at it. Personally for me part of the fun is learning and you really will never stop learning.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: Texan1554] #1744955 10/13/10 03:52 PM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Gun
Dog
Waders
1 doz teal dekes from Academy
Public Hunting Map
1 scouting trip to Lake X where I saw no birds but decided to try it out anyway.

This is all I had, no knowledge about wind direction or decoy placement. Didn't even have a duck call. Ans I sure as heck didn't know what the THF was!

I shot two teal that morning. That was 8 years ago. You can do it yourself! If you don't have a dog take a fishing pole. I had no idea what I was doing. The best thing would be to go with a guide- BUT the title of this post is "Budget Duck Hunting". So get out there and go for it!

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: cable] #1745093 10/13/10 04:48 PM
B
bjepsen85 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
It is definately worth a shot man! You can find some walk in spots to hunt, they may not be the best hunting but on a budget you have to take what you can get. I think we have all been there before, and it sure beats staying home to me!

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: bjepsen85] #1745134 10/13/10 05:05 PM
F
fowlhooked73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
I have done this in the past, not saying it is right but I have done it. Carry a rod and reel with you with about a 2oz weight and a large treble hook on it. Once the birds are dead cast out and snag them and reel them in. Be sure to have a fishing license with you. The GW laughed at me when she saw me doing it but it worked. I carry the ol catfish rig with me when I go. Makes an easy retriever and is cheap.

Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: whby05] #1745170 10/13/10 05:18 PM
D
duckhunter42 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: whby05
you cant budget for duck hunting, its like crack. one you do it, you will lay awake at night hearing the sounds of wings and wonder how and where you can come up with the money for more... rifle nidea

hammer its true

There are only two types of people without beards, Women and Boys. I am neither.
Jase Robertson
Re: Budget duck hunting [Re: duckhunter42] #1745224 10/13/10 05:44 PM
H
Heisman25g Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I still think that hiring a guide will save you money in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide