Forums46
Topics538,363
Posts9,736,341
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: DSST_Construction] #1627634 08/27/10 11:36 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
Alot of hunters dont have the funds to pay for a large buck, so they go even on bad hunting grounds hoping praying that one day just one day when the stars line up, they will have a nice trophy step out in front of them.

Then there are those that more than have the funds, they're problem is they don't have the time. They don't have the time to maintain a lease or the time to hunt it, they may only make one or two hunts a year. With that income and those limitations I'd be hunting some of the finest hi-fence operations I could find, sleep in great lodges eat fine meals with a chance of taking bucks bigger than most will ever see in a life time, I'm all over that! How a person spends they're money is none of my business.

I wonder how many here would jump at the chance to lease, lets say a 5000 acre hi-fence with lodge and all the eminities for 2000 a year with an 8 hunter max?

I'd take all 8 slots and hunt it by myself.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: HWY_MAN] #1627850 08/27/10 01:31 PM
E
exoticbob Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
there are different classes of high fence hunting. some try and work the native deer to bring out the most potential, then there are some that have eliminated all native deer and have the pen raised deer. 2 totally different hunting experiences.

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: DSST_Construction] #1628020 08/27/10 02:17 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
Originally Posted By: Stick-n-String
Originally Posted By: JJH
1) "well, even if its 5k acres most ranchers know the bucks how old they are, what they score, and how old they are."

2) "Most high fenced ranches know where the almost each one of there deer in their herd."

3) "High fence hunters = lazy man/woman with money who wants a big buck guaranted."

If you are ever in need of an ignorant, baseless comment, there are three good ones.

Very much agreed. I don't hunt high fence but no reason to bash it. Especially with ignorant comments.

i didnt know i was bashing high fences,

so i guess the tags in alot of high fenced deer are just for show, they dont hold any data to each deer?

If you go to a high fenced ranch, 98% the rancher can name the top 5 largest bucks on the propery by the names they have given him.

"High fence hunters = lazy man/woman with money who wants a big buck guaranted."---- that doesnt have truth in it???

i dont know why high fences are even brought up as the same or somewhat close to hunting lowfence. If someone wants to go kill a large buck and drop 10k for a pet deer, go ahead more power to them.

Sounds to me like your entire knowledge base on high fenced ranches comes from what you have seen on TV.

As exoticbob said, there are a lot of different types of "high-fenced ranches". Yes, some are like the ones you are bashing. But many are not. Painting all high fenced ranches with the same brush just shows your ignorance.

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: DSST_Construction] #1628028 08/27/10 02:20 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Justin T
Originally Posted By: okietex
Wow not stirring the pot but... Ive never been behind a high fence but if it over 500 acres(not that its the exact line) I dont see the problem. People in east texas hunt all year on 80acres and go where is he? I see so many complaints both ways. AR's are bad.. Well they are there for a reason sorry its for the masses like you cant drive over 70. High fences probably started because of neighbors who just dont care. Back off high fences in general. If you get enough acres behind a high fence please tell me the difference

well, even if its 5k acres most ranchers know the bucks how old they are, what they score, and how old they are. How is it diffrent one might ask, ok low fence hunter see a huge buck dosent get a shot never sees him for the rest of his life. High fence hunter sees a big buck never gets a shot, doesnt worry much since he isnt going outside the 5k acres. Most high fenced ranches know where the almost each one of there deer in their herd.
High fence hunters = lazy man/woman with money who wants a big buck guaranted.

I have no problem with high fences, but dont try to say there the say as low fences. Buck travel miles when in the rut. nothing to stop them unless there pinned up in a high fence.

If someone has the money to hunt high fences, go for it. I personaly enjoy the outdoors, the trophy bucks are just a bonus.

I hunt on a low fence, and we know our deer as well. We see the same deer, year in, year out. Deer tend to stick to core areas. Will they travel during the rut? Sure. Will they relocate core areas based on time of year? Sure. But they consistently show up on our place during the season.

So you never have no new deer coming and going around your place??? if thats true whats the point of waiting for Mr. big buck to come out of the woods when you least expect it.

Alot of hunters dont have the funds to pay for a large buck, so they go even on bad hunting grounds hoping praying that one day just one day when the stars line up, they will have a nice trophy step out in front of them.

So its only real hunting if you stumble upon a deer you've never seen before?

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: Justin T] #1628149 08/27/10 02:51 PM
R
rsquared Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
R
based on this thread, i want to offer a buck hunt inside my new high fence...
guaranteed shot opportuntity, even better if you are a northener coming down for the "hunt of a lifetime"
i have got the deal for you.....

be sure and call today before the hunt is sold...... smile

[/quote]

(if you cant read the sarcasm in my note, this is actually a pic of my protein feeder and the high fence i put around it to keep the elk from eating all the protein.)

not all high fences are there for commercial deer breeding. some of us just have them to make sure our mgmt plan will work for us and not for our neighbors when the deer cross the property line....

Stuff my dad said in the deer blind

"I can dive deeper and come up drier"
"did you do that?"
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: rsquared] #1628168 08/27/10 02:54 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
only part of a HF that I think sucks is when you get a deer outside of it along the road and there are miles of HF down the road. Sometimes they get excited and just can't quite clear it.

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: rifleman] #1628239 08/27/10 03:10 PM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
Open range low fence and public land on top of that. To me that's cool.

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: okbowhunter] #1628269 08/27/10 03:16 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
what a toad! how much did he weight?

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: rifleman] #1628328 08/27/10 03:34 PM
B
bdvick Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Our ranch in Lavaca Co. is 1500 HF. We do not have deer in pens, or have deer with tags in their ears nor do we import other deer to improve genetics. Right now we want to see what our native deer can become with proper nutrition and maturity.

The reason we decided to go with the HF, is because before the HF we were feeding protein, planting food plots and practicing other habitat improvements and we were still not seeing enough pos. results. Even though we were in land co-op's for approx. 8 yrs., we were still not seeing many mature bucks.

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: JJH] #1628365 08/27/10 03:45 PM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: JJH
what a toad! how much did he weight?

He was 285lbs and scored 160. Bow kill.

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: okbowhunter] #1628378 08/27/10 03:48 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
this is a big buck in a low fence....lol ... j/k man there are some awesome bucks on this thread

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: okbowhunter] #1628398 08/27/10 03:53 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: okbowhunter
Open range low fence and public land on top of that. To me that's cool.

that is one HEAVY deer!

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: okbowhunter] #1628421 08/27/10 04:02 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
very impressive. Where did you get him? (Don't the the GPS coordinates, just curious as to the general area! LOL)

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: JJH] #1628450 08/27/10 04:10 PM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
I asked that on here one time and got my hand slapped. But I don't mind. This is a Central Kansas deer.

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: okbowhunter] #1628693 08/27/10 05:48 PM
T
TX_Hoghunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Freestone county in '05. Never did score him.
-john

Time to catch a hog.......... A friend of Ken's
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: TX_Hoghunter] #1628712 08/27/10 05:57 PM
R
rsquared Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
R
that is a great photo.. he looks more like your drinking buddy than your prey...

"did you do that?"
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: rifleman] #1628801 08/27/10 06:36 PM
L
lmberjack Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L

Rifleman - I know you have in the past, but post the hunting condtions/situation behind the big 10. In my opinion, pretty amazing something that big was shot on that club. We have discussed this before in a PM, I worked Ryan's Lake check station one year.

HF discussion below, not directed at Rifleman.

High Fence Debates - HF myths, used to guide on one. The biggest deer we scouted, typically lived to see another year because they would disappear. Believe me, if I could have put a hunter on them I would have, my tip would have gone up. Usually killed deer we never saw before, and I lived on the place. The deer the manager wanted me to kill, saw one time at a distance with other bucks, never saw again. You would have thought since it was high fence that he would have eaten corn out of my hand and I could have hit him in the head with hammer. He was supposed to show up so I could shoot him!

I don't really get riled up about HF debates, but it kills me when people say you know every deer and when they show up, simply not true. I currently hunt LF, so I am really not biased one way or another.

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: lmberjack] #1628861 08/27/10 07:01 PM
R
rsquared Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
R
this is a good point.

on our last game survey we saw a monster buck. probably 170 class mainframe 12 ptr and around 200lbs on the hoof. (the biologist had him at 180, but i am no expert) that is a toad for Kimble county.

the crazy thing is that we have probably had 100,000 game cam pics on our 1900 high fence acres and this guy has never been seen on camera or in person. (maybe someone saw him when he was a yearling, but not since he got big)

last year i spotted a cull 6 ptr with no brow tines who was on my place every morning for 4 straight weeks. but once hunting season came around, nobody saw him again. he has since reappeared on game cams and he is on my list again this year.

unless you are high fenced on small acreage, you can never really know all the animals that your land is holding or be able to find them on demand.

"did you do that?"
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: rsquared] #1628951 08/27/10 07:29 PM
S
southtexascracker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
here is a small sampling...all low fence, hard work and patience.

Last edited by southtexascracker; 08/27/10 07:52 PM.
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: southtexascracker] #1629127 08/27/10 08:30 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
thats a nice one^^^^^

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: southtexascracker] #1629128 08/27/10 08:31 PM
C
cibolo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
hunted low fence pretty much everywhere except for two. And did not really notice any difference. The deer could hide from you and disappear just as easy. even watched them jump the high fence with ease in some cases.

low fence kimble county

low fence kendall county shot by my dad

low fence kendall county shot by my brother

low fence kendall county

on the hit list for this year

low fence mexico, biggest deer i've ever taken and it was low fence but would of been just as proud if he was behind a high fence, although i wouldn't have got to watch him come out of the neighbors pasture.

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: cibolo] #1629412 08/27/10 10:18 PM
B
bobwhitepointer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

Duval co. 400 acres. Scored 151 at freer deer camp.

Last edited by bobwhitepointer; 08/27/10 10:19 PM.
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: bobwhitepointer] #1629615 08/28/10 12:18 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A

Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: AmoCuernos] #1629626 08/28/10 12:22 AM
R
rsquared Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
R
ok. amos... you win....
that is evidence of what the higher protein south texas vegetation can produce...

"did you do that?"
Re: BIG DEER photos! NON High Fence photos only please [Re: rsquared] #1629633 08/28/10 12:30 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: rsquared
ok. amos... you win....
that is evidence of what the higher protein south texas vegetation can produce...

about every 8th year when fawn crops and rain line up...

I don't know about you... but I don't have that many "about every 8th year"'s left... that's why protein is so attractive...

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide