Print Thread
Turkey Rookie has Questions #1309676 03/15/10 09:39 PM
K
kingbert23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
Hey guys, I am new to turkey hunting. I have never been turkey hunting in my life. So, when I say Rookie I mean Rookie!!

I have a turkey hunt coming up. I have three days, no guide to get my limit.

My questions to you are:
1. What do I need in way of gear (clothing, calls, gun, etc.)?
2. What is the best way to go about getting a turkey?
3. If I am lucky enough to kill one, what do I do with it --eat or mount??
4. Give me the underlying rules of turkey hunting that a rookie would not know.

Thanks in advance. I want to make this fun. I don't really want to be a pain in someone's side -- especially the GW!

brian@caprockins.com
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: kingbert23] #1309733 03/15/10 10:08 PM
C
Capt.Engine2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
A piece of gear that gets over looked is a pair of pruning shears. This way you can trim a few of those twigs that stab you in the back. And being comfortable is key. If you’re not comfortable you won't be still. And a turkey has amazing vision. I think they can see you blink sometimes. Also I made the mistake of being impatient my first few times. Just because one doesn't answer right away give it time. It's not always like on tv where you just walk till one answers. I stay on a set up at least 30 minutes. Plus don't overcall. Many times those old Toms will gobble at first then go silent. This doesn’t mean he's not coming. He very well may be on his way. It's tough. I deer hunted my whole life, but didn't start spring turkey hunting till about 5 years ago. It is a blast. Nothing like it. Good luck. I prefer a mouth call. But that's just a preference. 12 gauge with turkey loads. Full Camo, including face and gun. Be still and have your gun up before you see him. Go get em!

Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: kingbert23] #1309761 03/15/10 10:27 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
First forget about the "get my limit" unless you're really lucky, or hunting a place that's over run with turkey.

Next you'll need to MAKE SURE the turkey you are about to shoot is a gobbler or at least a jake. If he comes in alone gobbling and strutting there won't be much question, if he comes in with hens, he will be the one with the bright red (and blue) head and will be darker than the hens. hopefully he will have a big ole beard hanging down, but carful there bearded hens, they have smaller beards and could be mistaken for jakes if it's your first hunt.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1310028 03/16/10 01:06 AM
B
billy gordon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
First of all i am no experienced turkey hunter.Just started last year.I pattern my shots with different shotshells and found the best for my 12 ga. and got a slate call and practiced.

Billy Gordon
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: billy gordon] #1310108 03/16/10 01:38 AM
T
TxCase73 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
As far as calls go, I would highly recommend one of the cody slate calls. I was looking at all the slate calls at cabellas in F.W. today and was suprised by how easy it was to make good calls. Calls are generally not hard to use, if you half way know what you are doing, but this slate was real pure and I had to really try to find a bad spot.

Just the other morning I was watching a show on Cody calls and it talked about how the wood for their calls are hand selected and that the owner actually sets about 99% of the slates that are on the market. They went on to say that their calls are one of the premium calls on the market and from what I heard and saw, I would totally agree with them. I will buying one this season for myself.

I think they are going for $39.00

Some other necessities for your hunt:

1) light fabric camo gloves
2) camo face net
3) good cushion to sit on
4) I shoot the NITRO 4 x 6, haven't failed me yet and I shoot 2 3/4" shells (pattern you gun at diff. distances).
5) couple of calls
6) dekes (decoys...I use a hen and a jake)

If you read some of the other topics on here, one of the main things you will here is DON'T OVER CALL. If you are using decoys, and the Tom is moving your way, stay still and let him come in. If they have come half way across a field to a decoy don't press your luck by pounding on your call. If he seems hesitant, call very softly and try to wait him out; These birds are really smart so be patient.

Watching some video on calling turkey would be very helpful.

Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: kingbert23] #1310116 03/16/10 01:41 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: kingbert23
Hey guys, I am new to turkey hunting. I have never been turkey hunting in my life. So, when I say Rookie I mean Rookie!!

I have a turkey hunt coming up. I have three days, no guide to get my limit.

My questions to you are:
1. What do I need in way of gear (clothing, calls, gun, etc.)?

Full camo, including gloves and headnet should be worn. Find something to set on that is comfortable for long periods. With as little as time as you have till the season, I'd go with a box call. It wil be fairly simple to learn and operate, and tons of turkeys have been harvested with one. I'd recommend a 12 gauge shotgun with at least a full choke...even better is one of the aftermarket turkey chokes. Use copper or nickle plated lead shot turkey loads...even better are the Hevi-Shot loads. Pattern the gun to determine what distance the gun is effective at

2. What is the best way to go about getting a turkey?

Find out where the turkeys roost, and where they travel to after they leave. Try to set-up somewhere along the route

3. If I am lucky enough to kill one, what do I do with it --eat or mount??

Cut the tail, beard, and spurs off. Fillet the breast off the turkey. They are delicious fried like a chicken fried steak, just don't overcook.

4. Give me the underlying rules of turkey hunting that a rookie would not know.

Sit still and keep movement to a minimum. If you have to move, make it slow, smooth and eliberate. Above all else, have patience. Many gobblers have been spooked by moving too soon.

Have fun, be safe, and be ready to become addicted.

Gman

Thanks in advance. I want to make this fun. I don't really want to be a pain in someone's side -- especially the GW!

Last edited by Gamblinman; 03/16/10 01:43 AM.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: Gamblinman] #1310218 03/16/10 02:23 AM
K
kingbert23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
Thanks guys! I will keep this all in the front of my mind.

To all who are going out looking for turkey...good luck to ya!

**Keep the info coming in. I can't learn enough about this stuff!

brian@caprockins.com
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: kingbert23] #1310668 03/16/10 12:58 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
A good turkey hunter is a great woodsman. Know the area and be smart about movement even walking to your site. Turkeys can see 300 degrees so even approaching a field you need to quiet, an move very carefully. A good turkey hunter is also safe. Please know exactly what you are shooting at and what is 100 yds on the other side of your target. Most of all enjoy the thrill of a gobble on your first call. Or the first gobbler you see strutting. You see that you will be hooked. Have fun

Old Soldier
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1311179 03/16/10 05:16 PM
S
Strut Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
All the above is good advice. Like one guy said , be sure and pattern your gun at differant distances to see what the pattern looks like. I would suggest you use a push pull type call that is easy to work with one hand if you have not mastered a diaphram call. Just remember if you do get a gobbler to respnd to your calls, he will be expecting the hen to come to him. Try using purrs and soft yelps to entice him in.If he gets quiet, get ready, he may be coming in.If you have a turkey gobble,don't change locations for at least thirty minutes.

Last edited by Strut; 03/16/10 05:17 PM.
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: Strut] #1311430 03/16/10 07:23 PM
S
sc o t Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Great advice lads!
My 2 cents would be...
Don't be afraid to move.. Change setups
.. Even if only 30-40 yds..hens always do!
And Rake in the leaves between calls..

Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: sc o t] #1319231 03/21/10 02:56 AM
K
kingbert23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
Hey guys what call do you recommend for a rookie. I was looking at a nice wood call. But the slate call looks good as well. Any input??

brian@caprockins.com
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: kingbert23] #1319256 03/21/10 03:04 AM
T
TonyLama Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Being comfortable, blending in, patience, and maneuverability are my biggest things. I always use the diaphram calls to minimize my movement because ive had one turkey gobble at me before then nothing for about 30 minutes and he ended up behind me.

Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: sc o t] #1319933 03/21/10 04:19 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: sc o t

And Rake in the leaves between calls..

Good suggestion. This, along with soft purrs and whines has killed a bunch of birds for me over the years.

Gman

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Turkey Rookie has Questions [Re: Gamblinman] #1320036 03/21/10 05:04 PM
S
Smiling Mallard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Gman....check your PM's.

SM

"Call 'em up close and shoot 'em in the face"
Previous Thread