Funny story about the pup... #1304151 03/12/10 03:16 PM
J
Judd Offline OP
#1 Creedmoor Fan
OP Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
and a little training update.

kbobbjr has been a big help to me and my first duck dog and after explaining what I wanted from her he recommended an awesome CD by Chris Akin, Duck Dog and I can't believe how cheap it was and how detailed the information is. So for y'all that are interested in some watching material I would highly recommend this guys CD.

Anyway to the story...I realized after watching the CD that she was started but I wanted to firm up some of the elementary stuff. No big deal but she didn't heel perfect and sit wasn't for as long as I said just momentary. So we started back at the beginning. All at the same time I have been throwing bumpers some too...not everyday though.

So we get to the point she is doing pretty darn good at heeling and sitting until I call "here" for her to come. Next step is collar conditioning...well as you all know from my post here I ended up with the Tritronics G3 combo collar. So I put it on her Tuesday nite and we started working the collar conditioning exactly as the DVD said. She was doing good and I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get an opportunity to use it. Well I did and needless so say she was shocked and not happy. We made it thru that session with her just getting it twice.

Wed nite she wasn't doing as well and was second guessing herself on what I wanted. I think it was the new pressure but I sat her walked away and called and she wouldn't come so I bumped her...she shot like a bullet from a gun in the dog door and in the house. I had the door closed but not latched and needless to she got in. Well I went in and got her and was pretty easy on her the rest of the nite. We normally play ball when the training is over and she didn't do well so we didn't play ball but ended on a positive and her attitude was much better.

Last nite I was a little apprehensive on whether or not she would do well. She was a MACHINE and did exactly what I was expecting and it appeared she figured out that the collar is just another form of pressure and she needs to do what I say to get the pressure to turn off.

Needless to say I am having a blast training her and watching her learn what I expect and are trying to teach her. Now in the next few weeks we will go to the force fetch after I feel she is comfortable with the collar and that will be interesting and I am a little nervous to do it but I know it needs to be done and the DVD walks you thru it step by step. After watching it I know we can get thru it and she will be a better dog in the long run. I am ready for that to be over though and we haven't even started it wink

I'll give updates as I go along so y'all can see where I am but this is cool. I kick myself in the back side for not ever having a lab until now. These dogs are freakin' awesome. I was blessed to find an absolute sweetheart that is soft and dying to please me so it is making me look like I am doing a lot better than I believe I am capable of right now laugh

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: Judd] #1304197 03/12/10 03:33 PM
H
HupDog Daddy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Just remember that the collar is only to reinforce what the dog has already learned. I get much better results using it for positive reinforcement. Using the collar for punishment does not work for my dog. Remember pressure not punishment.

" Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch"
Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: Judd] #1304208 03/12/10 03:35 PM
W
whby05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
up keep it up and keep us posted!

Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: whby05] #1304465 03/12/10 04:54 PM
G
Gengo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Congrats on the good training! These dogs have a way of making us look good despite our mistakes. I don't have an e-caller yet (just starting FF with my pup) but I saw one that can vibrate (also long stimulation vibrate) too. It was mentioned by a pro trainer that she likes it because she can use the vibrate as a command, say SIT. That way you don't have to always shock the dog and can use other forms of stimulation. Keep us updated though and throw some pics up here.

Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: Gengo] #1306053 03/13/10 04:55 AM
J
Judd Offline OP
#1 Creedmoor Fan
OP Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
The collar is definitely not used as punishment and I am following the DVD to the T. Thanks for the additional advice.

I'll keep y'all updated on the training. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Gengo...I haven't watched the entire DVD but watching each step several times but at this point he says the vibrate/tone settings aren't used at all. She already sits to a single whistle even if in the middle of a retrieve. The guy that started her I have to thank for that. Good luck with the FF, I am sure it is tough but you will get through it. As I said before I am not looking forward to it but I am sure we too will get through it.

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: Judd] #1306533 03/13/10 06:12 PM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
congrats on the progress!! up

Say When.....
Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: CinchMan] #1309187 03/15/10 05:52 PM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I talked to Jeromy the other day and he told me about her running into the house. If I hadn't been so busy that night I would've called to harass you about. I'm glad she's doing well and I'm glad you're finding the DVD useful. Let me know when you want to get together and really train!! grin

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: kbobbjr] #1310160 03/16/10 01:55 AM
J
Judd Offline OP
#1 Creedmoor Fan
OP Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: kbobbjr
I talked to Jeromy the other day and he told me about her running into the house. If I hadn't been so busy that night I would've called to harass you about. I'm glad she's doing well and I'm glad you're finding the DVD useful. Let me know when you want to get together and really train!! grin

I knew you would like that and figured you have been busy laugh

We went hard at it from Tues - Sat. Sat I took her down to the pond by the golf course and gave her a pretty good work out. Yesterday it was her birthday (she is one) so I gave her the day off. Today she came back a ball of fire and nailed everything. She is really starting to understand the collar, it is like a switch flipped in her and she understands now.

A week or so of this and I will get after the FF. The 2 a days will be as hard on me as it will be on her. laugh wink

Thanks Kev...

Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: Judd] #1310174 03/16/10 02:01 AM
J
Judd Offline OP
#1 Creedmoor Fan
OP Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

Here is a birthday picture of her. We were doing sit/here drills and when I picked up the phone to take the picture she started to come to me but realized that it wasn't time yet and stopped, that is why she looks like she is getting ready to take off. laugh

Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: Judd] #1310675 03/16/10 01:00 PM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
She sure is a pretty dog! Are you bringing her out this weekend to run in Started? If not, you should. She's fully capable of doing the work. At the very least you should come out and watch - I will see to it that you get the VIP treatment.... rofl

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: kbobbjr] #1310690 03/16/10 01:08 PM
T
txhunter24 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
shes a good lookin girl! congrats on her progress!

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: Funny story about the pup... [Re: txhunter24] #1310852 03/16/10 02:27 PM
J
Judd Offline OP
#1 Creedmoor Fan
OP Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Thanks guys. I am having fun and impressed with her, she is much smarter than me on this stuff and is definitely making me look better than I am.

Kev...I am suppose to shoot in Austin on Sat and up here Sun but if either of those change I do plan on coming out just to check things out. I am confident she could do the started and would love it...but at the same time I don't need another hobby wink . Happy birthday, I hope you have a good one.

I'll call you tomorrow or Thurs nite...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide