Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,364
Posts9,736,348
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail #1052744 11/21/09 03:14 AM
Sniper John Offline OP
gumshoe
OP Offline
gumshoe
Continued from the migratory forum
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1052321

We left Western Oklahoma for Great Bend KS on Sunday. We had planned on spending the night at the Refuge there, but a darn near blizzard was going on and the roads about to ice over so we decided to head on to the next destination near Stockton. We had been running late and would have to set up camp in the dark anyway. No snow on arrival so that made setting up camp nice. We commandeered a pavilion because no one else was camping in the area of the park we picked due to water off and restrooms closed due to the winter season. We were allowed to keep it for the duration.

We took the first pheasant the next morning at the first WIHA we tried.

It was very windy, wet, and cold early on, but I did lose the coat by the next unit or two.

We drove past a lot of units that I am certain had birds, but hard for two hunters and one dog to hunt. So we stayed with sloughs, fingers, uncut strips, crp along water or roads. Anything where we could push birds into an obstacle. I can say we at least saw birds at most every WIHA unit we walked. Not a single one was empty. They just often fooled us with how they would leave. Some misses and some flights into the sun that delayed the shot. And of course Blaze takes credit for some birds, but most would not stay put. But overall we did well for hunting just post opening weekend.

We also found quite a few Quail on two of the days. On one WIHA we found 4 covies in a row and probably could have found more on that particular one, but we moved to another area where we had been pushing the pheasants into from the same place.

Overlooked by most other Pheasant hunters, we always glassed tanks and would switch to a different vest with non tox shot if we saw waterfowl. Always nice to have some bonus birds.

Steve watching Blaze walk by with a Gadwall he shot.

With regular and Green headed Pheasants.

And Redhead and Mallard bonus birds from Thursday. We had a chance at Geese on this pond, but they worried away before we got in position for the shot.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: Sniper John] #1052745 11/21/09 03:14 AM
Sniper John Offline OP
gumshoe
OP Offline
gumshoe
Other game seen.

Flash picture from the cab on the drive back to camp. We actually saw quite a few nice bucks in the mornings both whitetail and Mule Deer. Mostly in units we passed up due to not being the right habitat for birds.

One of the many Ghost Farms. I crossed the middle of this one while Steve circled. I had a strange feeling when in this one that stood the hair up on my back. Lots of ruins and farm equipment not in the picture including what would have been a den to the farm house. We had no wind while there and the windmill started creaking. When Steve said he had the same vibe as me, we left pronto.

I am always drawn to big trees. They fascinate me. One of the biggest diameter trunks I have seen. Like a trees out of the Wizard's OZ.

I will close with this Picture of Blaze at some uncut strips of Milo we hunted.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: Sniper John] #1052903 11/21/09 04:38 AM
S
Shl0g Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Very Very cool

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: Shl0g] #1052920 11/21/09 04:51 AM
L
luvdabirds Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Awesome thread John. I'm planning my first trip to Kansas and 2nd time hunting pheasant this year with my son and a friend new to hunting.Won't likely make it up until few weeks before season closes. More excited than a kid on Christmas Eve. I'd appreciate it very much if you'd Pm me if you have any advice. We'll only have one dog; too an eager nonfinished GSHP.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: luvdabirds] #1052931 11/21/09 05:01 AM
B
Brett-O Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
nice post, you never disappoint.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: Brett-O] #1053099 11/21/09 01:30 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Great pictures!!!!!!! Good looking dog!!!

I'm new to this forum and have a question about pictures. You used two different posts to get all your pictures in. Does this forum limit the number of pictures per post? I'm on the PDJ forum, and they limit it to four pictures. I posted 8 on my NSTRA photo essay.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: bill oxner] #1053154 11/21/09 02:39 PM
B
BigBonesdown Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Awesome hunt in progress keep the reports coming and great pics. Thanks for sharing

To the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit of the Wild! <<>> Ted Nugent
Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: BigBonesdown] #1053277 11/21/09 04:21 PM
C
clay breaker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Man you take some great pics. Always enjoy your threads. I hunted around Great Bend all last weekend and monday and I know what you mean about that weather around there. We managed to get a lot birds though. Had a blast.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: clay breaker] #1053299 11/21/09 04:37 PM
L
luvdabirds Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I have bad news due to the four lettered word: W O R K , I wont be able to go til near the end of the season . Should I cancel and try for next year or do yall think it'll still be a worthwhile venture ? Will only be three guys and one dog. The pics and info on the birds has me saying I still want to give it a try but it IS a heck of a drive fron Austin . Also are yall hunting the WIHA areas ? That's what we will be doing unless the graces af a kind Kansas native are bestowed upon us. smile All inputs welcomed.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: luvdabirds] #1053339 11/21/09 04:58 PM
T
TBK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Awesome pics. Thanks for the write up.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: TBK] #1053990 11/21/09 11:56 PM
B
benco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
nice pics

Do you put boots on blaze for a long trip?

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: benco] #1054593 11/22/09 04:36 AM
B
Bilbo Baggins Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Looks like you had one awesome hunting trip. Glad you were able to get out to enjoy yourself.

Bilbo Baggins
Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: Bilbo Baggins] #1055796 11/22/09 11:17 PM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Thanks for sharing your hunts. Great pics and the narrative just adds to the enjoyment. Always look forward to seeing and reading about your adventures. Best wishes for continued good hunting.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: ralph] #1056287 11/23/09 03:01 AM
Sniper John Offline OP
gumshoe
OP Offline
gumshoe
Thanks Guys,
To answer the questions.

Bill, yes there is a limit on the number of pictures in a post. Around 10 I think. And to not make the thread impossible to load for those with slow connections is why I split the trip into three separate threads, not to mention that the first part of our trip really belonged in the migratory section anyway.

luvdabirds,
Yes we hunted WIHA. Due to information from a local we hunted west and north of areas we had hunted before or that we had originally intended to hunt so it was all new WIHA units we had never hunted before. The way we do it is one person drives and the other navigates with the maps. Areas that look good or fit our style of hunting are hunted, others are passed up. A day or two into it, we start incorporating our most productive areas back into the driving route. Hunting two persons and a dog, we look for areas with natural blocks. Water, roads, wheat fields for example that will make the birds stop running and have to stay put or fly. We hunt narrow strips of crp or uncut milo, islands of cover near grain fields. Or if we can find a corner of a big field that has natural blocks we will zig zag to the corner. Late season I have not hunted, but my understanding is the birds will have got back into a normal routine and got out of the pattern of seeking cover from hunters and the cold weather will help to cause them to stay put for the dogs. You definately should go and put that young GSHP to work for you.
I may go back myself spur of the moment if I can catch a snowfall during a time I am off work to give it a go myself later in season.

benco,
Normally yes on the boots. But this was a short trip with only the last three and a half days being pheasant hunting and her pads are fairly well conditioned due to several days of dove hunting this year.
I only used them part of one day due to a fresh cut milo field having very short sharp stubble in it that caused some problems until we got the boots on. The chest protector though was a must on this trip for several of the fields. We pushed a small area up to a bluff overlooking a marsh. I shot one pheasant that fell into a thicket of....oh I can't post the name, but it is a type of willow wink , there is a joke there somewhere related to the name for a male pheasant that made the moment quite funny. blush but by the time Blaze and I gave up on trying to retrieve it from that tangled mass, she had a bad cut on her nose and a cut running from the corner of her eyelid that needed special attention. I finally had to make a decision that the bird was not worth it. It would have been even uglier if she did not have the chest protector on.

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: Sniper John] #1057012 11/23/09 02:37 PM
L
luvdabirds Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Thanks John , I really appreciate the information from you and the rest of the guys here on the forum. I'm relatively new to upland but can tell you this : I aint gonna stop til I stop altogether ..Love it ... The comraderie is bar none the coolest and you dont know it but thru your pics in the post I was hunting with you laugh thanks again. Once I get a firm date I'll post. It would be a blast with more hunters that way the camp tales will all have a different spin too. grin

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: luvdabirds] #1057417 11/23/09 05:21 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
good stuff, John

Did yall tell ghost stories back at camp after that farm house incident?

[Linked Image]

Re: Western OK, Northern Kansas Road trip day 4-6, Pheasants & Quail [Re: Fooshman] #1059249 11/24/09 03:01 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Who needs cable with Sniper John on the loose? smile

Amazing story and pictures as usual. Thanks for sharing

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide