Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: texfork] #1035613 11/14/09 12:49 AM
R
ripgere Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
You should be able to get a duplicate card on-line on the TPWD website, or find the a local TPWD law enforcement office, or call the TPWD 800 number.

Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: Texas Dan] #1036414 11/14/09 04:55 PM
D
daulongranch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Dan in Spring
I've shared this photo before. Still, it's worth sharing again now.

It shows the nasty wound a Texas hunter took last season after one of his hunting buddies mistook him as a bobcat. He was actually sitting in his tripod, waving at the 46-year-old shooter when he shot at him from about 200 yeards away with his 25-06.

And being 46 years old, the shooter was not required to attend a Hunter Education course.

Whatever happened to being certain of your target and anyplace a bullet may go after hitting the target? I just do not understand how someone shoots another person. I know that it happens, but HOW? I know what the target is, where the bullet is going to hit the target and where the bullet is going after the hit.

There was a little 25 acre place south of Rocksprings that had 10 Hispanic guys hunting on the place. One of the guys shot his cousin and killed him because he thought it was a deer moving on the other side of a bush. What an idiot. The sheriff had to confiscate all of the guns so that the family feud didn't get started. They had to drive to town to pick up their weapons as they left town.

I took a hunter safety course way back before it was mandatory. It was basic logic stuff. Don't point the muzzle of a weapon at anything that you wouldn't want to destroy with what comes out of the muzzle. Don't cross fences while carrying a weapon (rifle or shotgun), etc...just simple common-sense stuff.

I'm grandfathered in, so I don't have to take the course to hunt in Texas. Anyone would be safe hunting with me. I use binoculars to locate my targets, then use my rifle scope to pinpoint where I want the bullet to strike my target and the trigger on the rifle to eliminate my target. Never do I use my scope on my rifle to look for a target. If you do...STOP doing that. It sure give you a weird feeling when you realize someone is scoping you with their rifle scope. I've chewed some hide of several people that I have had do it to me.

daulongranch - Live in Rowlett - Ranch in Concho County

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-- Thomas Jefferson
Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: Closed Traverse] #1036505 11/14/09 06:17 PM
M
Motownfire Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M

18' Aluminacraft Center Console W/ 90HP Yamaha
Remington 870 Wingmaster Bought in 1971
"I dont like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent
Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: Motownfire] #1036910 11/14/09 11:42 PM
M
Medic151 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I am granfathered as well but took it in Texas History back in the 7th grade. I don't remember how long it took, but there was shoot, don't shoot videos and other things. My sons are taking the course this year since they are both 17. I know I have taught them more about gun safety than a course put on by the state but you gotta play by the rules.

Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: Medic151] #1045599 11/18/09 04:52 PM
L
lovernotafighter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
I took the hunter education class in Colorado in 2001. It is a gun and classwork course covering 8 hours total. I am glad I did as it was a good refresher. Last year in Fort Davis we were crept up on by the game warden and he checked all of our licenses and HE cards where applicable. If I hadn't taken the course and had the card on me that would have been a ticket.

Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: Texas Dan] #1046969 11/19/09 01:51 AM
T
TxCase73 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
You can defer the class one time and one time only. Do it where you get the license when they ask.

Last edited by TxCase73; 11/19/09 01:52 AM.
Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: TxCase73] #1076655 12/02/09 06:45 PM
S
SATX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I took a HEC out in CA and have lost that card. Since I'm exempt, I will not retake the test out here.

Unless it's changed much, or CA is drastically different, I wouldn't really call it a test.

What my grandfather and father put me through would qualify though. I spent a lot of time with an unloaded gun in my hands before I was ever allowed to even put a round down range. And like many of you, I had to account for any ammo used. When hunting, a spent shell better equal game on the ground or a really colorful explanation.

I have to say that I agree that age does not always ensure safety & common sense gun handling. I think any of us that have spent a good amount of time at the range or in the field can say that we've seen a tragedy waiting for a place to happen.

I know I've packed my gear up and left a range several times due to folks who have no business owning a slingshot, much less a rifle. Couldn't imagine coming across them out in the field.

My last dove hunt in Imperial County in CA ended with a face full of welts from taking a pelting from some arsehole who tracked a bird level with the ground then opened up not 75 yards from us.

I've never been comfortable with getting swept by the barrel of a gun since then. One of the arguments I hate so much in SASS & CAS shooting. To them you can't be swept by an empty gun. Still makes my guts queazy though.........

If I was required to take I would. All those years in private academies has conditioned me to want to do the right thing...

I don't think a hunter's education course is the place to learn safe gun handling practises. You should all ready have that down if you are considering taking a game animal. Rather then focus on the parts of a firearm, I'd rather see more emphasis on hunting etiquette and ethics. Maybe the new HEC's cover this more in depth than when I took it.

Hell, maybe I'll burn up a weekend at BassPro just to see how it's changed.

Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: SATX] #1076716 12/02/09 07:02 PM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I took a duck load to the hand and leg once from an idiot i hunted with

Stickin' gills and Stackin' bills

In a world of compromise..... some dont....
Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: Boudreaux] #1076825 12/02/09 07:39 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I've taken the hunters ed course a couple of years ago and really dont remember anything in it. Most of the stuff they teach is common sense and you already know if you were raised hunting. Stuff like shooting another person isnt due to not taking the course it is just no common sense and stupidity.

Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: Dustnsand] #1078317 12/03/09 02:59 AM
D
dsancho Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I just took the test this year here in Dallas at elm fork, best thing I did, I can understand if some guys take it at a library or some un eduacated place, but at this shooting range they spoke about a lot of interesting items and scenarios. plus the female instructor was easy on the eyes and made the time pass by fast. up

the main thing they teach is how to carry your rifle and to not shoot unless you are aware of whats past your target(in case you miss)

but the test has alot of OLD trivia on it, I have a copy of it here I think and its self graded, so everyone passes.....

Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: dfwfirefighter] #1078357 12/03/09 03:10 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Every game warden that has checked my sons and their friends over the years have asked for the hunter safety card and ticketed if they are not carrying them. If you can prove to the JP you have had the course they often times forgive the fine.

Re: hunting without Hunters Education [Re: KG68] #1078718 12/03/09 04:51 AM
N
Nate C. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
How can you get the HE# added to your hunting license?

If I could do that I would have one less piece of paper to carry around.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide