Forums46
Topics537,995
Posts9,731,550
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8789447 01/27/23 08:26 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
But by God it wasn't done the way their daddy did it, so fooey on you!

You could also insert "momma," I am with you on that statement.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8789450 01/27/23 08:27 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I don't make a habit of criticizing the guy who buys the meat, takes care of the preparation and does the cooking.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: unclebubba] #8789454 01/27/23 08:33 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
I don't own a pellet smoker and don't intend to move on from custom built offset smoker or my SmokinTex electric, but why do some guys get so worked up over others liking pellet smokers?

Why do Pellet guys get so worked up over a stick smoker guy giving his opinion that stick smokers are better?

Fair point. To me, I don't care how it's done if the end result is good bark, smoke ring, and taste.

Myself personally, I use the SmokinTex on chicken, pork ribs, pork butts, and sausage. It's incredibly easy and I can't really get a better product when I use my offset stick burner. And I've got a cold smoke plate that is fantastic for fish. But for brisket, I can't get that bark on the electric that I can on my offset. So, briskets and beef ribs are strictly on my offset. And the offset also serves as my charcoal grill. But, if I'm just grilling chicken breasts or salmon on weekday night, I only use my LNG grill for ease of use and time savings.

And Hell, I just bought a 36" Blackstone that I've been using for all kinds of things that I traditionally did on the grill. It's awesome, but it's certainly got its limitations.

Point being, they've all got their pros and cons and that's why I've got all 4 of them (I actually also have a standalone small infrared grill, but I don't use that much).

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: BigPig] #8789455 01/27/23 08:35 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
I don't own a pellet smoker and don't intend to move on from custom built offset smoker or my SmokinTex electric, but why do some guys get so worked up over others liking pellet smokers?

It’s a macho thing.

You so Macho.....lol35

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Gringo Bling] #8789466 01/27/23 08:56 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Why do Pellet guys get so worked up over a stick smoker guy giving his opinion that stick smokers are better?

Fair point. To me, I don't care how it's done if the end result is good bark, smoke ring, and taste.

Myself personally, I use the SmokinTex on chicken, pork ribs, pork butts, and sausage. It's incredibly easy and I can't really get a better product when I use my offset stick burner. And I've got a cold smoke plate that is fantastic for fish. But for brisket, I can't get that bark on the electric that I can on my offset. So, briskets and beef ribs are strictly on my offset. And the offset also serves as my charcoal grill. But, if I'm just grilling chicken breasts or salmon on weekday night, I only use my LNG grill for ease of use and time savings.

And Hell, I just bought a 36" Blackstone that I've been using for all kinds of things that I traditionally did on the grill. It's awesome, but it's certainly got its limitations.

Point being, they've all got their pros and cons and that's why I've got all 4 of them (I actually also have a standalone small infrared grill, but I don't use that much).

I get it. I have a stick smoker, a fire pit with griddle attached, a 36" griddle, and an LP grill. They do all have their place. I wouldn't mind having an upright electric or LP smoker for curing sausage either. That would be nice.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8789483 01/27/23 09:28 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I’ve cooked on about everything and like people say they all have their place. I’ve had good and bad bbq from pellet grills and stick pits. When you have been invited to a place you never disrespect the pitmaster. I always make a point to give them a thumbs up. Most do want some constructive criticism.
I no longer cook in competitions but my son does. I will say I have never seen a pellet bbq finish in the top 10. Not saying it doesn’t by happen I just have never seen it.
The days of the large barrel pits are disappearing. Even at competitions a lot of cookers are using drum smokers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The metal thing is my sons temperature control for his barrel smoker.
Wouldn’t surprise me if some BBQ restaurants are already using pellet grill for some of their meat.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8789855 01/28/23 03:49 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
A few things I have started doing since getting my pellet smoke are smoking cured bacon, Smoked Pastrami and jerky. I never do those on my offset because I`m afraid it might be too strong a smoke flavor. I absolutely use it as an oven sometimes when I just want a little smoke on the item I am cooking like jalapeno poppers, chicken, salmon, meatloaf, pork belly burnt ends, thick pork chops, smoked Queso. I never cook anything at high temps with it like some people do because I just don`t think it is efficient at doing it like my Weber Genesis is. My Weber will be @ 600 degrees in about 10 minutes, and I don`t have to let it cool off for 15-20 minutes before shutting it off like you have to do with a pellet grill.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Jgraider] #8789920 01/28/23 05:58 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Jgraider
A simple smoker tube is an easy solution for those who want a more smokey flavor from a pellet grill.

Bingo. Never smoke without one.

Bobby Barnett

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: TPACK] #8790001 01/28/23 08:27 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TPACK
A few things I have started doing since getting my pellet smoke are smoking cured bacon, Smoked Pastrami and jerky. I never do those on my offset because I`m afraid it might be too strong a smoke flavor. I absolutely use it as an oven sometimes when I just want a little smoke on the item I am cooking like jalapeno poppers, chicken, salmon, meatloaf, pork belly burnt ends, thick pork chops, smoked Queso. I never cook anything at high temps with it like some people do because I just don`t think it is efficient at doing it like my Weber Genesis is. My Weber will be @ 600 degrees in about 10 minutes, and I don`t have to let it cool off for 15-20 minutes before shutting it off like you have to do with a pellet grill.

I hate salmon. But I love salmon in my Yoder. Up to temp in 5 minutes. Salmon is done in 90 minutes. Much easier than the hassle of a stick burner. When I had my stick burner, it took 2 hours before it was settled in and ready to cook on.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8790153 01/29/23 12:57 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
It’s simple; you can’t get the density of smoke/quality flowing across the meat, for the needed time. Sure, you can burn a given cup of pellets to produce a certain amount of smoke; but it will never equal several logs, on a good offset, burning at 250 degrees with clean smoke. But, for set it and forget it; they’re great.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Huntmaster] #8790468 01/29/23 03:15 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
It’s simple; you can’t get the density of smoke/quality flowing across the meat, for the needed time. Sure, you can burn a given cup of pellets to produce a certain amount of smoke; but it will never equal several logs, on a good offset, burning at 250 degrees with clean smoke. But, for set it and forget it; they’re great.

You`re right on the money. I guarantee you that someone is still going to argue that their brand of pellet smoker is just as good or better than a stick burner and no way you can tell the difference. What really matters at the end of the day is the food and if you are happy with the flavor. Whatever method you used to cook, smoke, fry or grill it isn`t important as long as you are happy with the results. Bon Appétit. cheers

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide