I use 'Corn Arrows' to get them to go where I want. wink

Why haven't I thought of that???

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7409391 01/20/19 02:34 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have hogs coming to my corn feeders, so when I built a big open top hog trap, I put a feeder in there. Left the trap door open for a while, until I saw the hogs were going in there to eat. Set the trap door and caught hogs. So, my answer about the best bait is that corn works for me.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7409505 01/20/19 05:46 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by flintknapper

You were probably thinking of writing directions in the corn, but the problem there is that hogs cannot read. The genius of flintknapper's arrows is in the simplicity of the symbolism that even hogs can follow.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7410139 01/21/19 04:59 AM
S
Scott W Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by flintknapper

You were probably thinking of writing directions in the corn, but the problem there is that hogs cannot read. The genius of flintknapper's arrows is in the simplicity of the symbolism that even hogs can follow.

roflmao

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7414292 01/25/19 02:02 AM
B
bassackwards dav Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The fastest working bait for me is soured corn I pour 100 lbs in 30 gal barrels that way I can still load them in truck I run water in slow and cover corn in 4 inchs above it. Add 2 16 oz beers cheep crap that you don’t want to drink or some of your wife’s yeast fo baking. Hang 100 watt light right over top of barrel needs to be in barn or shed because it’s going to get ripe. Ck it next day to add water because corn will soak up a lot of it. After several days it will stop soaking water up stir it 1st 3 days . After 7 days I take light off and put lid on it. Sometimes it’s 4 weeks old before I bait areas with it. It’s very ripe even maggots in it sometimes. I didn’t bait any for hogs on the place for couple yrs but started baiting again in late spring 2018 dumped some out in afternoon one day. Went back to shop in town 22 miles away Young man that works for me noticed corn was gone from shop and asked if he can go out there and see if he could try to shoot pig that evening. I said yes I figured he went home after work but with 2 hrs of daylight still left I got text of three pigs dead . He saw 18 come to it . You will have to fill big holes as they will kept rooting there for awhile after all corn is gone . Bon apitite!

bassackwards dav
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7416695 01/28/19 10:05 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Folks at a doughnut shop the other day gave me a huge bag of day old doughnuts. Just out of curiosity, I put a pile of them in front of one of my cameras to see if the hogs would be attracted to them. What I got is lots of buzzard pic's ! I know buzzards are sort of like hogs and eat whatever is available, but never thought they would be so fond of doughnuts.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7419364 01/30/19 07:34 PM
C
cliffie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Its been said that if you have a feeder mounted on the back of your truck to spread the corn without walking around you'll be 4 times better at attracting hogs without the smell of your feet on the ground.

I walked across a field one day and 2 hrs later a small sounder of hogs came across perpendicular to my path The lead sow got right to where I walked, stopped suddenly, smelled twice and turned tail and ran back where she came from with the rest of the sounder. Never underestimate how bad we smell to them!

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7420049 01/31/19 08:32 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
After a few days of the doughnuts out, I shoveled them up yesterday and threw it all away. Haven't seen a hog track near the trap since I put them in it. Evidently the smell of them scared off the hogs or something. All I found that liked them was one deer, numerous buzzards, and a couple of Crested Caracara birds.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Old Stony] #7420255 01/31/19 03:06 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by cliffie
Its been said that if you have a feeder mounted on the back of your truck to spread the corn without walking around you'll be 4 times better at attracting hogs without the smell of your feet on the ground.

I walked across a field one day and 2 hrs later a small sounder of hogs came across perpendicular to my path The lead sow got right to where I walked, stopped suddenly, smelled twice and turned tail and ran back where she came from with the rest of the sounder. Never underestimate how bad we smell to them!

4 times as likely? That is a pretty specific claim, sort of like the claim that hogs can smell food from 7 miles away and 15 or 25 feet underground (I have seen both depths used). Strangely, such numeric statements are never backed up with any references to the studies where such information would obviously have been tested to make such determinations. Yet they get passed around as fact without foundation.

Originally Posted by Old Stony
After a few days of the doughnuts out, I shoveled them up yesterday and threw it all away. Haven't seen a hog track near the trap since I put them in it. Evidently the smell of them scared off the hogs or something. All I found that liked them was one deer, numerous buzzards, and a couple of Crested Caracara birds.

Thank you OS for your test. I have seen several people post similar tests where they introduced a new "attractant" only to have the hogs not show up for several days despite hogs previously coming before the attractant was added. Eventually the hogs came back and even would consume the attractant (whatever it was) and it was thought this pattern was due to a major change in the environment, the new "attractant" being seen as non-normal. I think that had you put out donuts several more times that eventually the hogs would take advantage of them, but if you have to condition the hogs to accept the food, that sort of flies in the face of donuts being a "quick" attractant to effectively bring in hogs on demand sort of like what the OP wanted.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7422789 02/02/19 07:05 PM
M
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Corn and diesel

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7422793 02/02/19 07:08 PM
M
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Or call them. I have a FoxPro I call them with. You can download sounds onto your calling system. It's not a guarantee that you'll call them every time you go out

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7425101 02/05/19 01:39 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Anyone ever tried Rice bran? Just pour it out around feeder.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7429687 02/10/19 07:36 AM
W
Wheelin' Outdoorsman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
A whole lot of good information in here.

Wheelin' Outdoorsman
TurningPOINT & Team Challenge
www.turningpointnation.org
"To develop self-esteem and confidence in the physically challenged through participation in adapted outdoor adventures"
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7429767 02/10/19 02:45 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Several years ago we did a test where we put out five kinds of corn to see what the hogs would like. In about 20 pound piles, then put a game cam on it.
These piles were about 5 feet apart. We had hogs on them the first night and they almost finished it.

Regular corn
Corn soured in water for three weeks
Corn soured in beer for three weeks
Corn with diesel
Corn soured in beer with blackberry Jello packs added

The regular corn pile was the first to go, but just barely. Then the soured stuff almost all went at the same time, the Jello went only a bit faster. But the diesel corn was only about half eaten and some was still there when we went home after the the weekend.
It has become my understanding that diesel attracts hogs because they like to roll in, eating it clearly is not their favorite.

After a little thought we determined that our little test only showed what they like to eat, not necessarily what attracted them. So three weeks later we spread out our piles about 100 yards apart down a fence line and put cameras on each pile. The hogs hit the soured corn first, then the same group of hogs worked their way down the fence line till they had finished all of the piles. Except for the diesel as it remained for a few days, again.
We considered this an unsuccessful test as well, as the pigs came out of their home in the woods and simply hit the first pile they came up on.
Although this was fun our conclusion is that pigs have been trained to the smell of corn. It is in feeders all over and is associated with being a quick easy meal and a smell that they are accustomed to so they are not afraid of it.

So, use corn for pigs. If you are going to sour it, use water and leave the bucket in the sun, it is the cheapest way. I understand that yeast will speed this up.
Diesel for the truck
Jello for the kids
And the beer for you.

YMMV, pigs do what pigs want to do

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7429855 02/10/19 03:56 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Use corn for pigs.
Diesel for the truck
Jello for the kids
And the beer for you.

This should be a sticky.

Re: Hog Bait with quick results [Re: Scott W] #7430265 02/11/19 12:14 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Went back to just plain old corn..

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread