Texas Hunting Forum

Silver lab???

Posted By: Honker Jake

Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 02:13 AM

Do these dogs have the traits intended for a lab (retrieving/brains)? Or are they bread just for their color? If so, I think this is worse than show dogs. In show dogs the desired trait is looking pretty. What that mean's is if you have 2 dog's that have the looks desired in a show dog, because according to them these look's mean they can do the tasks intended for the breed (intelligence, desire, and ability to retrieve in harsh conditions). BULL SH##, regardless of their ability to perform these task's people still breed them to be pretty. In my opinion this is not good for the breed and result's in a pretty dog that doesn't know a bird from a pillow. What do you think? Do silver lab and show lab breeders try at all to keep the working lab trait alive? Do you think the lab is a working breed?

Posted By: wkh2213

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 02:56 AM

My silver male is the only silver I have dealt with, but definately not my first lab.
He is one of the smartest ones I have had and also one of the easiest to train. It all depends on what you do with them, don't go by reputation, it's all in the training

Posted By: freeflow

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 03:00 AM

I have a female with a ton of Hart...

Last Dove season we pulled in
68 Doves
1 Green Head (My first year Duck hunting and I still have a hard time hitting Ducks...)
0 lost birds

My male is a 82 pound baby and I will post a dove count this Monday after we go out.

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 03:08 AM

freeflow,
she is one gorgeous lab up

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 03:21 AM

Thanks wkh2213,
It looks like we are going to have more of these silvers running around in 30 or so days...

My male and female were locked up the day before Dove season.

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 03:30 AM

we accidently confused2 bred ours to our chocolate and they all were choc pups but had a silver shine when the light hit them. they were some of the coolest chocs i've seen

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 03:43 AM

This is great to hear. If the dog's yall own are trainable, and have what it takes to be a good RETRIEVER, I would encourage you to breed them. Unfortunately, for most silver dog breeders the ultimate decision on whether to bread 2 dog's depends on one thing; Silver or not Silver.

Posted By: janie

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: wkh2213
freeflow,
she is one gorgeous lab up

X2 What a beautiful dog. up

Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Honker Jake
In my opinion this is not good for the breed and result's in a pretty dog that doesn't know a bird from a pillow. What do you think?

My hunting buddies and I have been involved with "Color Reproduction Animal Propogation" (CRAP) for some time now... We have just put a pup on the ground that we think is the PERFECT upland bird dog. Here he is doing some training.

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: First_Chance
In my opinion this is not good for the breed and result's in a pretty dog that doesn't know a bird from a pillow. What do you think?

My hunting buddies and I have been involved with "Color Reproduction Animal Propogation" (CRAP) for some time now... We have just put a pup on the ground that we think is the PERFECT upland bird dog. Here he is doing some training.

Im sorry to say this...

but yes your dog looks to be 100% full blooded CRAP ("Color Reproduction Animal Propogation")

up

Thanks evryone...

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/18/09 03:29 PM

LOL...

Posted By: mrbigtexan

Re: Silver lab??? - 09/23/09 04:30 AM

you won't need an orange vest on him!!!

Posted By: ducktape

Re: Silver lab??? - 10/21/09 01:11 PM

Darn sure looks like a weim/ lab mutt I know.

Posted By: skyshark

Re: Silver lab??? - 10/30/09 01:29 AM

holy "crap" that was funny!!!!

Posted By: MS1454

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/07/09 03:42 AM

thought this was interesting
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: MS1454

someone should track this breeder that is offering the $100,000.00 Silver Lab Challenge to any "expert" who wished to put their money where their mouth was concerning their accusations surrounding the ancestry of silver labs.

$100,000.00 Silver Lab Challenge
Someone might make some cold cash

Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 02:21 AM

This topic has been the cause for very heated discussions. Yes maybe even more than the accuracy/ ease of use of the Whisker Bisquit.

I did ALOT of research before buying my Silver just recently. BTW , he (Scout) comes from two top lines of Silvers. Culo and Beaver Creek, bloodlines. Silver is a dilute of the Chocolate Labrador. His Parents are hunting dogs as well as shown in the UKC shows. AKC does not recognize the Silver colored labs as of yet. But they didn't recognize the Chocolates until the 1950's either.

If you know anything about dogs, you would know that ALL dog breeds were bred for different traits, some of them including but not limited to,,,,Color, disposition, The ability to smell out game, their ability to run fast,,,etc,etc.etc. Now here's my opinion on breeders. As a matter of fact Labradors are a result of Cross breeding themselves.

There are some who only think of the money they will make on any given litter. BUT, there are also those who strive to enhance and perfect, breeding for Quality in the particular breed or breeds they have. And they are reputable breeders.

Silvers Labradors are as beautiful and smart and can hunt/retrieve, every bit as well as their Yellow, Black and Chocolate cousins. It's just some people can only see one side to the story. I myself like to educate myself before making judgements on anything. cheers

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: freeflow

someone should track this breeder that is offering the $100,000.00 Silver Lab Challenge to any "expert" who wished to put their money where their mouth was concerning their accusations surrounding the ancestry of silver labs.

$100,000.00 Silver Lab Challenge
Someone might make some cold cash

But they won't. All talk!

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 03:19 AM

Lab's are indeed cross breeds, just like any other breed. The difference between creating a dog when lab's were originally created and now is: back then dog's were tools to help get a job done, the color did not matter until more recently when people started wanting a silver or chocolate dog, at that point people were willing to pay more money for that color dog as long as the color was what they wanted and not at all based on the ability of the dog as a Labrador retriever. Therefor breeders see dollar signs and breed the sh** out of a dog to produce a color. They were created to do a job, and I think that's what you were saying when you said some were bread for color and some for working ability, that's a big difference in my mind (as far as the color of a dog compared to it's desired trait as a working dog). By the way what UKC shows are you talking about?

Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Silvers Labradors are as beautiful and smart and can hunt/retrieve, every bit as well as their Yellow, Black and Chocolate cousins. cheers

WRONG! no color is as smart as a yellow.

Posted By: fordtough

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 03:49 AM

ive never heard of a silver. ive always had blacks, and now a yellow and a chocolate, love em to death.. but silvers almost look like a mix.. but very cool if theyre full blooded lab!

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 03:51 AM

loooks soo much like a wiem/lab mix... beautiful dogs tho.

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 11:50 AM

They are full blooded labs. I have one and he's one of the best labs I've had.

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/11/09 05:31 PM

do they all come with Pedigrees?

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/12/09 02:50 AM

If you believe that breeding for a certain color is wrong then that is your opinion. Color does not decide how a dog will or will not hunt,train or act. I don't disagree that some breeders only care about money. My breeder and the people they are associated with do everything in their power,(deep pockets BTW),to make sure the dogs they produce are of the highest standards, and quality. I'm quite sure there are numerous breeders that do the same.

The breeders that hurt the cause are the puppy mills, and until people quit buying from them they will continue to produce dogs. The other side of this argument may be the prices? Black, Yellows and Chocolates do typically sell for less, but some sell for more. If you can afford a dog from a better gene pool, I'm sure you would want one, just like many people can afford a certain level of car. I for one can't afford a Lamborgini, but that doesn't mean to own one is somehow wrong.

do they all come with Pedigrees?

Mine did, I guess it would depend on the breeder. IMO they should.

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/12/09 03:05 AM

this is all interesting to me, i think theyre beautiful dogs.. you got any pics of yours?? are they kinda a new breed?

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/12/09 03:06 AM

I do believe breeding for a color is wrong and is the exact reason for many breeds downfall. I also believe that breeding a dog because it is good at it's intended purpose is good. Color does not decide how a dog will or will not hunt train or act which is exactly why I think breading for a specific color trait is bad for the breed.
Puppy mills come in all shapes and sizes!!!!!!

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/12/09 03:27 PM

Black and Yellow are COLORS. People breed for those colors. So what's your point exactly? Like I said before, the human race has been breedin dogs for thousands of years. If you agree to that, then your arguement is unfounded. Period. Dog breeders have been breeding for color, conformation ever since the first time, so in essence you against breeding dogs at all. I can tell your never going to be open minded about this subject, so there is no sense discussiong this any further. bang

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/12/09 11:33 PM

Nice looking puppy. You seem to be very well educated about dog's and breeding. I train a lot of dog's and also breed from time to time the next time I get stumped about something to do with dog's I will be sure to send you a PM.

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/12/09 11:52 PM

i am so facinated with silver labs! are they hard to come by? cost a fortune?

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/13/09 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: fordtough
i am so facinated with silver labs! are they hard to come by? cost a fortune?

More and more people are starting to take a liking to silvers and I feel that AKC will be making room for for a new color.

My kids will be 2 weeks friday.

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/13/09 12:18 AM

Yes they seem to cost more than the other colors confused2

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/13/09 12:33 AM

they seem like theyre jus light chocolates.. like the yellow has "red fox" and "polar bear" colors, i bet this is just a phase of chocolate. but i do love it!

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/13/09 01:51 AM

I have educated myself on the subject but I don't have any experience in breeding dogs as of yet. It is quite obvious that you have a bone to pick ( pun intended) with the breeders that don't conform to your ideas. Let's just agree to disagree. up

Originally Posted By: fordtough
they seem like theyre jus light chocolates.. like the yellow has "red fox" and "polar bear" colors, i bet this is just a phase of chocolate. but i do love it!

As stated before they are a dilute of the Chocolate. So yes.

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/13/09 02:03 AM

Adorable pups. clap

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/13/09 05:12 AM

ok.. thats awesome!! love em!

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Silver lab??? - 11/13/09 11:46 AM

I do believe breeding for a color is wrong and is the exact reason for many breeds downfall. I also believe that breeding a dog because it is good at it's intended purpose is good. Color does not decide how a dog will or will not hunt train or act which is exactly why I think breading for a specific color trait is bad for the breed.
Puppy mills come in all shapes and sizes!!!!!!
Honker Jake, I agree 100%, the priority should be their ability to perform as intended, trained and raised setters for 25yrs, did I like certain colors? yes? did that matter in the field? NO

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum