Texas Hunting Forum

Which Exotic in Texas and Why?

Posted By: BenBob

Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 02/28/23 07:55 PM

Which exotic in Texas gets the most attention in regard to individuals wanting to hunt and why do you think the animal that you chose gets the most attention from hunters? I asked a man that has numerous exotics on his place and he told me what is requested the most on his place, but it will be interesting to see what and why you think is the most requested.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 02/28/23 08:09 PM

Axis. Lots of horns, BIG horns. Beautiful hide. Best venison you can eat. Hard to beat!

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 02/28/23 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
Axis. Lots of horns, BIG horns. Beautiful hide. Best venison you can eat. Hard to beat!

I agree. They also make a beautiful mount and if you hunt whitetails around a feeder, you are set up for Axis after whitetail season is over.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 02/28/23 09:23 PM

Axis are the most handsome of the exotics and their a dominant species on most game ranches, so naturally they will be the most popular.

I would say twice the number of axis are killed compared to anything else.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 02/28/23 09:25 PM

"In Texas" My vision of a Texas Exotic is one that is somewhat naturalized here and what I would mostly want to hunt. Two I have taken, Aoudad and Sambar. Two I have only tried to hunt are Nilgai and Axis. I suspect your answer is Axis for reasons pertnear stated.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 02/28/23 09:41 PM

Agree
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 02/28/23 09:42 PM

Texas "exotic" I am most proud of though is the free range elk from the Van Horn area. Got him the day after he shed his velvet while he was belly deep in an alfalfa field. He was every bit as good eating as the Axis deer I have gotten.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/01/23 10:19 AM

Agree with most above. Axis.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/01/23 11:53 AM

Axis

Aoudad, a free range one is #1 for me.

I think Sika meat is excellent also and they typically cost less than Axis.
Posted By: Abe77901

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/01/23 02:21 PM

1)Axis
2) Blackbuck
3) Fallow
4) Aoudad

Just my opinion...

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/01/23 02:34 PM

The man I talked to that runs an exotic ranch says the most requests by far are for Aoudads. I know someone will claim that they are excellent table fare, but I think 2 more people will disagree.They make an interesting mount, but the only other thing that is a positive is the actual hunt, itself. I was sort of surprised at the exotic ranch owner's response.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/01/23 03:20 PM

I'd say it's Aoudad and Axis...depending on the country and region of Texas.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/01/23 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
I'd say it's Aoudad and Axis...depending on the country and region of Texas.

This is where I'm at too.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/01/23 04:40 PM

I'm surprised Scimitar Horned Oryx don't get more attention. They are cool looking animals and from what I hear they are great on the table too. They are probably second in interest for me after Axis.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/01/23 09:16 PM

The first exotics to be introduced are still far and away the most desired hunting species, along all lines. More pigs are shot, shot at and dreamt about than any other species. I would say, bar none.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/02/23 02:31 AM

This...the Axis is the only exotic I have any desire to hunt, mainly because it is the best game meat I have ever had.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Which Exotic in Texas and Why? - 03/06/23 05:27 PM

And you can hunt them free range - fair chase.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum