Texas Hunting Forum

Question on Red Deer Hind

Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Question on Red Deer Hind - 02/20/23 08:37 PM

I am in the process of finalizing a hunt for Red Deer Hind for this winter and am looking for some info from guys that have shot them. I grew up in CO hunting elk and am under the impression that Red Deer are smaller than elk. I shot a number of cow elk and feel pretty secure saying the average cow elk runs from about 400-450 on the hoof with some being smaller and some being larger but those weights for an average cow. What can I expect the weight of an adult hind to be from TX? Is 300-350 on the hoof a reasonable guess or am I off base?

Also, how spooky do they tend to be? Are they like elk or are they somewhat calmer? I'd like to use my 308 Win but am willing to break out my old 7mm Mag if the shots will run long on spooky game. I know both will be lethal but I have more experience with long range shooting with the 7mm. I will address these same questions to the place I am going to hunt on but value personal info from other hunters as well.

Cheers

Chief
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Question on Red Deer Hind - 02/20/23 10:25 PM

yes think of hines like 1-2 year old cow elk.

spooky just depends on ranch. Could be wilder then all get out or let you drive unto them

308 is plenty. have fun!
Posted By: George S

Re: Question on Red Deer Hind - 02/21/23 05:39 PM

I've shot a few. Estimated live was 250-280lbs., with one older hind coming in close to 350lbs.

They can be elusive but your .308 is plenty (I used a 6.5 Creedmoor on mine). Shot distances depend on hunting pressure and terrain; as many ranches don't offer long shots due to plenty of oak mottes and brushy cover, your shots are likely to be between 50 and 200yds.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Question on Red Deer Hind - 02/21/23 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
yes think of hines like 1-2 year old cow elk.

spooky just depends on ranch. Could be wilder then all get out or let you drive unto them

308 is plenty. have fun!
AGREE! Good eating. I've used a .300wsm and a 30.06 (same result with both calibers)
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Question on Red Deer Hind - 02/22/23 02:48 AM

Hinds react just as any other deer would, however it depends on the hunting pressure where you are hunting. I hunted in Scotland this past October, and they have a different mind set when it comes to what caliber to use. I took a 450lbs stag with the guide's .243 Tikka with a 153 yard neck shot! The rifle also had a suppressor which is also very common. There were 3 hinds with the stag, two did not run after the shot!
Posted By: 4D RANCH

Re: Question on Red Deer Hind - 02/25/23 05:01 AM

Your estimations are pretty close I would think. As far as spooky that depends on the ranch and the hunting pressure. I will tell you on my place the stag are not near as (spooked) as the hind by utvs, ranch trucks, tractors, ect.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum