Texas Hunting Forum

MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend…

Posted By: Judd

MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 03:28 AM

I went to hunt axis in Sonora with Mike and his guides Colt and Casey. Let me preface this by I was there with a group in April on a doe hunt and this exact ranch we would see 8-12 axis bucks per sit…it was STUPID how many animals were there, it made me very excited for what this weekend’s hunt was going to be. Boy did I get a rude awakening. We hunted Friday afternoon, Saturday all day (hunted water in the heat of the day) and Sunday morning…there were 4 axis seen at 2,200 yards Friday nite, that was it. To say it was a grind is an understatement. Mike and his guides never doubted we would run across one and said several times…we got until Sunday nite and things can change and happen fast. Just keep grinding guys…

Boy was that the understatement of the weekend. Sunday morning they made some moves and I saw a younger group of 3 and got within about 600y before we decided even the oldest one wasn’t exactly what we were looking for. About 9:00 we could see those bucks were still on their feet feeding we decided to get another vantage point and see if we can spot and stalk one up. I bet we drove 200 yards and saw a nice mature axis with a doe that had been below us and we couldn’t see, he had the bell shaped antlers I was looking for. I wanted that traditional axis look not the high and tight you see sometimes.

We continued to drive past slowly all the while Casey is telling me how we are going to drive down and stalk back too them. We get out and I grab the BigHorn 300wsm, I built myself just for this trip, and my tripod then off we go. We hiked a few hundred yards up through the mesquites and cedars knowing we had to be close the excitement started to build a bit. All of a sudden, we see them trotting right in front of us at about 30-40 yards and he looked huge and was exactly what I was looking for. I’m thinking well crap, this gig is up we’re headed back to the truck. We press on toward where they crossed and then started in behind them. We round this cedar and I see the doe he was with across the draw headed up the other ridge. Tripod up, rifle put up there…asked Casey what her yardage was and he gives me 356y…I crank in 2.5 minutes and about the time I look through the scope he walks out…Casey gives him his best axis roar and he stops on a DIME. As soon as he looked at us I squeezed the shot and off he went. I was confident I hit him and knew it was front but wasn’t exactly sure where. We decide to give him 20 min or so just to make sure and both agree. As we stood there and talked Casey said he for sure saw the bullet splash on a rock. Throughout the weekend we had talked rifle stuff and he knew I was running the 155 scenar at 3300 and then said…well I guess you could’ve zipped through him…we both laughed and finally decided it was time to go look for him. We crossed the draw and headed about 1/2 way up the ridge to where he was standing…we started looking around and right off the bat he finds a chunk of meat on a clump of grass…neither were real encouraged about that sign but knew the trail he ran up and followed on up. We had went about 15 yards and came to where two cedar limbs came together…Casey split them and sort of twitched backwards, I noticed and said is he alive right there…he started laughing and said he’s LAYING right there dead as a door nail. Then the celebration started. Then he took some photos…here they are:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bottom line…Mike’s guys worked their [censored] off, his accommodations were clean and the food was delicious. If you are on the fence on booking something with Mike…don’t hesitate, great group of guys and we always have fun when we hunt with them. Thanks for another good trip but she made us earn it this go round.

It all happened so fast that when I got home I looked at my scope to see what power I was on when I shot him…6x, we spend all this damn money for these high powered scopes rofl
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 10:21 AM

Speaking of grinders , where were the other two hunters?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 12:25 PM

Congrats Judd, way to stick with it. As for the scope at 6X for the shot, you did dial the yardage and I would rather have the scope down for a longer shot than up too high for a close shot. You did good getting him.

Got my Texas elk with Mike the last few minutes of the hunt, it can happen late in the hunt.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 12:44 PM

Beautiful
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 01:08 PM

Well done!
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 01:27 PM

Nice one. I’ve hunted that ranch in Sonora twice. I’ve never seen so many whitetail on a ranch anywhere. I did a 2 day meat Axis hunt there a few summers ago and never saw an Axis. Still had a lot of fun and the guide smoked one of the best briskets I’ve ever had.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 03:11 PM

Great job Judd. Beautifull trophy and great eating.

Mike runs a great hunt. I've been on one Whitetail hunt, Covid had me cancel couple years ago. I'm always trying to put together another hunt with Mike.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 04:14 PM

cheers Congratulations.
Posted By: Erny

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 04:16 PM

Awesome Deer!!!1
Posted By: texfork

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 04:30 PM

Its going to make a great mount , congratulations .
Posted By: Trophy Snipe Hunter

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/15/22 09:40 PM

Congratulations! Nice looking animal!
Posted By: soooo

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/16/22 12:54 PM

cheers
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/16/22 06:25 PM

Great write up Judd cheers That is a beautiful deer
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/16/22 06:42 PM

clap
Posted By: Judd

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/17/22 07:11 PM

Thanks...really was a great trip and good time with buddies.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/17/22 10:11 PM

Great job Judd….and Mike and crew!
Posted By: rogerh

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/18/22 09:59 PM

Mike and his guys are good people. I need to get back just haven't had time.
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/19/22 10:22 AM

Great report, congrats on a fine Axis.
Posted By: Stub

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/21/22 01:11 PM

Good write up, obviously you had to work butt off for it and well worth the grind, congrats on a very nice Axis cheers

BTW what was the temperature out there?
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 06/30/22 04:16 PM

Nice! Congrats Judd!
Posted By: TXHunter0619

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 07/08/22 03:50 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 07/19/22 07:15 PM

up
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: MulieMike Axis hunt this past weekend… - 07/26/22 05:28 PM

That's exciting, Judd, super job!

Mike and his crew are great to hunt with.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum