Texas Hunting Forum

veteran exotic hunt

Posted By: bassmastar34

veteran exotic hunt - 02/27/22 06:26 AM

I am running the numbers to set up a nonprofit for disabled vets. just curious from ranch owners/outfitters what is yalls experience? As a vet myself I would love to give back but I have seen the dark side of "the vet hustle" and do not want to pay for hunts for people who do not need or deserve it. I have connections and the means to provide opportunity to people who need it but am reluctant
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: veteran exotic hunt - 02/28/22 03:13 PM

"the vet hustle" sums it up about right. I was in the Marine Corps, and I think it's embarrassing to see so many people begging for free hunts because they served. Sadly, most of the beggars are the ones who have ruined it for those that might really deserve the generosity offered by outfitters and land owners. My time in the Marines taught me to work hard for what I want, and not be afraid to push myself. When I want to go on a hunt, I work harder, save up the money and research where to go, because of the discipline and drive that I gained from being a Marine, I've been able to do this on several occasions. To make more money, I changed jobs for higher pay, and eventually started my own business remodeling homes to make even more money. If you want to have the money to go on a hunt, you have to figure out how to earn more money, not beg for handouts and rely on a sad story for free stuff.

Having said that, there are Disabled Veterans that have overcome their sacrifice, and pain, that more than deserve some sort of reward for what they went through in serving our country. They are not beggars trying to take advantage, they are fighters. I admire what they have accomplished, and support any and all efforts that show appreciation, with whatever we have to share with them.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: veteran exotic hunt - 02/28/22 05:09 PM

I am currently running an org that takes vets/leos/first responders on hunts. There are definitely people that abuse their time served in an attempt to get free stuff. I can tell you a single guy that has perfected his package and gets picked up all the time for hunts. At least one or two a year. Its people like him who screw it up for the rest. I have been in 14 years now and just wanted to give back to those who have been less fortunate than myself, but it is getting harder and harder to work with outfitters etc.... because of people abusing this.
Posted By: Homer75

Re: veteran exotic hunt - 03/02/22 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by EddieWalker
"the vet hustle" sums it up about right. I was in the Marine Corps, and I think it's embarrassing to see so many people begging for free hunts because they served. Sadly, most of the beggars are the ones who have ruined it for those that might really deserve the generosity offered by outfitters and land owners. My time in the Marines taught me to work hard for what I want, and not be afraid to push myself. When I want to go on a hunt, I work harder, save up the money and research where to go, because of the discipline and drive that I gained from being a Marine, I've been able to do this on several occasions. To make more money, I changed jobs for higher pay, and eventually started my own business remodeling homes to make even more money. If you want to have the money to go on a hunt, you have to figure out how to earn more money, not beg for handouts and rely on a sad story for free stuff.

Having said that, there are Disabled Veterans that have overcome their sacrifice, and pain, that more than deserve some sort of reward for what they went through in serving our country. They are not beggars trying to take advantage, they are fighters. I admire what they have accomplished, and support any and all efforts that show appreciation, with whatever we have to share with them.

Well said!!!

GO NAVY
Posted By: Roo Basher

Re: veteran exotic hunt - 03/10/22 03:17 PM

So I am a disabled veteran and I went on one of these hunts.

There are two kinds of veteran hunt companies.

1. Ran by veterans who are organizing hunts with their buddies.

2. Ran by a concerned citizen who may or may not have veterans best interest in mind.

I went with the 2nd group, and it was a class act. But there are tons of these outfits that only exist to provide hunts for themselves and their buddies.

They talked shop quite a bit with me, and I have a lot of information on this topic. Send me a PM if you want to go into the weeds about it and we can talk about it on the phone.

There are really two big problem children groups in either one of these situations.

1. The mentally disturbed who you really don't want to be in the field with a firearm with.

2. The entitled 100% first term disabled PTSD National Guard guy that did 3 days in Afghanistan at Baghram and has never really done anything in life.

Re: veteran exotic hunt - 03/11/22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Roo Basher
So I am a disabled veteran and I went on one of these hunts.

There are two kinds of veteran hunt companies.

1. Ran by veterans who are organizing hunts with their buddies.

2. Ran by a concerned citizen who may or may not have veterans best interest in mind.

I went with the 2nd group, and it was a class act. But there are tons of these outfits that only exist to provide hunts for themselves and their buddies.

They talked shop quite a bit with me, and I have a lot of information on this topic. Send me a PM if you want to go into the weeds about it and we can talk about it on the phone.

There are really two big problem children groups in either one of these situations.

1. The mentally disturbed who you really don't want to be in the field with a firearm with.

2. The entitled 100% first term disabled PTSD National Guard guy that did 3 days in Afghanistan at Baghram and has never really done anything in life.

While I can see some of your points, I do not fully agree. There are some people that are nominated for these hunts that are put on by current vets or former vets that do not even know they are getting put in. Some of these guys don't even hunt. However, the good it does them is amazing. I have had the opportunity to guide several of these hunts and more recently host several. If the organization putting on the hunt can't see through the undeserving people, they shouldn't be setting these hunts up in the first place. I have made life long friends through these hunts and people I didn't know before hand. I understand some places may be running hunts like your #1, but that's not how I nor the org I used to help out do business. On a side note, what if the "mentally disturbed" as you call them, need that breakaway from their issues and stressors? What if that is the tipping point for getting them back on track? Have you ever first hand witnessed a veteran who has been through [censored] get his life back on track just from one of these hunts, the look on his face when he doesn't have a worry in the world, when all his issues/problems are forgotten? Probably not. If you would have your comments above wouldn't be so ignorant. There is most definitely more than two types of these groups. Maybe you should do a little more research into the group or hunt "you" are applying for!!!
Posted By: bassmastar34

Re: veteran exotic hunt - 03/11/22 04:22 PM

i really appreciate all the feedback on this and Clark8907 i would love some more info about your org or some of the ones you have worked with in the past. As for the "vet hustle" I think people can become alittle jaded when it comes to any charity/nonprofit because of the people who abuse the system or the internet i know a guy stories (which mostly arent true) about dangerous ptsd vets. I and alot of my buddies that I served with have refused help or orgs help because we are not as "bad off" as others we know or hear about and dont want to be one of those guys who take advantage. That is why I was looking into this myself because I know what a simple day in a stand watching a sunrise or being with good people and believing there is still hope can mean in the long run.

Re: veteran exotic hunt - 03/11/22 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by bassmastar34
i really appreciate all the feedback on this and Clark8907 i would love some more info about your org or some of the ones you have worked with in the past. As for the "vet hustle" I think people can become alittle jaded when it comes to any charity/nonprofit because of the people who abuse the system or the internet i know a guy stories (which mostly arent true) about dangerous ptsd vets. I and alot of my buddies that I served with have refused help or orgs help because we are not as "bad off" as others we know or hear about and dont want to be one of those guys who take advantage. That is why I was looking into this myself because I know what a simple day in a stand watching a sunrise or being with good people and believing there is still hope can mean in the long run.

Would love to chat with you bud. Shoot me a PM with you cell number.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum