Texas Hunting Forum

YO Ranch

Posted By: nick_adams

YO Ranch - 08/17/21 12:49 AM

A friend of mine is thinking about hunting Bison at the YO ranch. Anybody hunted there? How was it?

Any place else anyone would recommend for Bison?

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: YO Ranch - 08/18/21 01:31 PM

Chasin dreams outdoors
Posted By: JOBK

Re: YO Ranch - 08/23/21 02:22 AM

mtroutfitters.com, 36 1 947 4131
Posted By: therancher

Re: YO Ranch - 09/02/21 11:27 PM

I can do bison meat hunts for 1750 each for a limited time. But you’re helping gut and I load it in your pickup or trailer at that price.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: YO Ranch - 09/03/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by therancher
I can do bison meat hunts for 1750 each for a limited time. But you’re helping gut and I load it in your pickup or trailer at that price.

That sounds like a really good deal to me.
I'd assume a cow would yield at least 500 lbs or so of meat??

Re: YO Ranch - 09/03/21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

Nope. They average around 1000 on the hoof and yield around 300-350. Bison aren’t cattle.
Posted By: don k

Re: YO Ranch - 09/03/21 10:23 PM

Nope. They average around 1000 on the hoof and yield around 300-350. Bison aren’t cattle.

Now if you could eat the head and hide you could get over the 500 mark.

Re: YO Ranch - 09/07/21 01:25 AM

You ain’t wrong Don!

Re: YO Ranch - 09/08/21 01:41 PM

So a bison only yields 30%-35%?
Wow
Posted By: don k

Re: YO Ranch - 09/08/21 08:38 PM

So a bison only yields 30%-35%?
Wow

Cattle only yield about 41% pure meat. Hide, guts, bones and whatever else you don't eat make up the other 59%.

Re: YO Ranch - 09/09/21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by don k

Cattle only yield about 41% pure meat. Hide, guts, bones and whatever else you don't eat make up the other 59%.

Right
I just assumed that a bison would be above that for some reason. But I guess there is a thicker hide on them and maybe even heavier bone.
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: YO Ranch - 09/09/21 02:07 PM

Right
I just assumed that a bison would be above that for some reason. But I guess there is a thicker hide on them and maybe even heavier bone.

Bison have substantially less meat yield than cattle. I learned this after shooting several for meat, back when they were more affordable. Their hair is much thicker, and the "hump" on their back is actually mostly hide and bone. If you look at a diagram of their skeletal structure, you will notice the extremely large vertebrae that are present in the hump area (see below). It has always fascinated me that their spines are actually straight, like most game or cattle species. The hump is only a result of the taller vertebrae.

[Linked Image]

Re: YO Ranch - 09/09/21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eland Slayer

Right

Bison have substantially less meat yield than cattle. I learned this after shooting several for meat, back when they were more affordable. Their hair is much thicker, and the "hump" on their back is actually mostly hide and bone. If you look at a diagram of their skeletal structure, you will notice the extremely large vertebrae that are present in the hump area (see below). It has always fascinated me that their spines are actually straight, like most game or cattle species. The hump is only a result of the taller vertebrae.

[Linked Image]

Great info
Thank you sir
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum