Texas Hunting Forum

Red Sheep

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Red Sheep - 02/24/21 03:27 PM

Do they eat good, or just a pretty mount?

Red Sheep, not, red deer
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Red Sheep - 02/24/21 05:10 PM

Most sheep aren't tremendous table fare, unless you shoot the younger ewes, which of course won't have the cool headgear. Some folks will say they have good luck using the meat for sausage but in general, the meat isn't great.

Re: Red Sheep - 02/24/21 06:46 PM

thank you, I figured as much barf
Posted By: traviselmore

Re: Red Sheep - 02/25/21 02:45 AM

I’ve shot Corsican,mouflon, Texas dall, black Hawaiian and four horn and didn’t care for any of those.

I shot a red sheep this summer and it was very good. I’m thinking it may have been since it was more wild sheep? Not sure but it was good table fare.

[Linked Image]

Re: Red Sheep - 02/25/21 03:48 AM

Beautiful Ram !!!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Red Sheep - 02/25/21 04:53 AM

Mouflon and Texas Dall was decent table fare, better as burgers and sausage than steaks.
Posted By: intohunting

Re: Red Sheep - 02/25/21 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by traviselmore
I’ve shot Corsican,mouflon, Texas dall, black Hawaiian and four horn and didn’t care for any of those.

I shot a red sheep this summer and it was very good. I’m thinking it may have been since it was more wild sheep? Not sure but it was good table fare.

[Linked Image]

Nice trophy! What outfitter did you use for your red sheep?
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Red Sheep - 02/26/21 04:02 PM

I shot a mature Red Sheep ram at Lucky 7 Exotics a couple years ago. Everyone told me to just throw the meat away. I felt like I needed to at least try it....so I just kept the backstraps. It was EXCELLENT eating....and I will always regret not keeping the whole animal. Most people don't know sh*t about cooking wild game, and I'm convinced that is the reason for a lot of stuff getting badmouthed as not tasting good. If you cook any cut of venison or other wild game more than medium-rare, it quickly becomes tough and not very appetizing (doesn't apply to burgers and sausage obviously).

If you shoot a Red Sheep, I will happily take the meat off your hands.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Red Sheep - 02/26/21 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by traviselmore

[Linked Image]

Beautiful
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Red Sheep - 02/28/21 11:08 PM

You wouldn't want to eat a steak from a ram, but they do make decent sausage.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Red Sheep - 03/01/21 09:58 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Red Sheep - 03/02/21 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Malone
[Linked Image]

The one on the left is a STUD! Great looking animal.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Red Sheep - 03/02/21 02:22 AM

Not much for table fare but a worthy adversary to hunt! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Red Sheep - 03/02/21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by EddieWalker
You wouldn't want to eat a steak from a ram, but they do make decent sausage.

Not true. I made steaks from all of the backstrap and it was excellent. They weren't the most tender meat, but absolutely delicious.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum