Texas Hunting Forum

Aoudad Visitors

Posted By: Sauerkraut

Aoudad Visitors - 11/10/20 04:46 PM

Not sure how they got there, but a couple of Aoudad have made their home on some Corps of Engineer land next to my property (North Texas). They're at my feeder several nights a week. I don't have a strong urge to hunt them, mainly because I like the idea of a couple of these guys roaming around. Regardless I would like to know some more about them. How can I tell male/female? Are these fully mature? Ideas on how they got there? There aren't too many high fence places around here...

Also, how does the meat taste? I've heard a lot of people say not to waste your time with aoudad meat. That being said, I've also heard that a thousand times about wild pork and I eat it (and enjoy it) on a weekly basis.

Let me know what y'all think! [Linked Image]

Attached picture 62671869594__9C358A31-DD39-4533-BBE2-2079709D6020.jpg
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Aoudad Visitors - 11/10/20 05:43 PM

"Not sure how they got there" unless there is an open gate or a missing panel, they must've jumped in.
Posted By: Texasteach

Re: Aoudad Visitors - 11/10/20 05:59 PM

Looks like two young rams.

Re: Aoudad Visitors - 11/10/20 06:13 PM

I just meant how they ended up on corps of engineer land.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Aoudad Visitors - 11/10/20 07:19 PM

I’m not sure what falls in your definition of North TX, but I had 3 just East of Seymour last season. They were there for a few weeks all at night, then moved on. Talking to the folks in town, we are supposedly a little East to where they really roam. Most were pretty surprised to hear and like you, Not a lot of high fences around us so it remains a mystery.
FWIW, looks like 2 middle young rams to me..

Re: Aoudad Visitors - 11/10/20 07:35 PM

We are in Aubrey, just northeast of Denton. Seymour is definitely a little closer to their territory. Ours have been around for at least 6 months. We've seen them crossing the pasture a few times, once in the woods, and many times at the feeder. The corps of engineers land that they're on is unhunted and closed to the public, so they may have found a pretty nice spot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum