Texas Hunting Forum

Axis question

Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Axis question - 09/20/20 05:31 PM

We just got a new lease and it has axis on it. I've never seen axis therefore have no idea what's a big axis vs what's a "average" size buck. I got a couple pictures of 1 buck that I think is big but in reality it might be just an average buck. Whats the consensus? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Axis question - 09/20/20 05:53 PM

Congrats
Posted By: RabbitsFoot

Re: Axis question - 09/20/20 08:23 PM

Looks like a shooter for a free-ranger but average...could use another season of growth. On our lease, axis are hard to hunt so if you have your sights on one you’re lucky. And if you don’t shoot it the neighbors will. Anything with a main beam over 30 inches are trophy plus like to see 8+ inch eye guards and 6+ inch cottles (6 total points) with good mass all the way through. I think the top axis is about 28 inches. If I shot it I’d be proud but wouldn’t put it on the wall.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Axis question - 09/20/20 09:17 PM

^^^^^ concur.
Those are good average free range bucks, with the top one having the better rack.
That bottom boy has a big body though ...lotsa meat. He may be on the decline.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Axis question - 09/20/20 09:21 PM

Those are good quality bucks to shoot. Especially on a free range ranch, property size would tell a lot of us, a lot more.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Axis question - 09/20/20 09:46 PM

The bucks drift through a lot more than whitetails. Better shoot when you have the opportunity. up
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Axis question - 09/20/20 10:09 PM

agree with above
Posted By: don k

Re: Axis question - 09/20/20 10:24 PM

If you didn't shoot him you probably waited too long. I don't know about where you are, but here if you see one like that you shoot.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Axis question - 09/21/20 12:04 AM

Mason and property is 400 acres. One side bordered by high fence that these came from (were let out a few years ago as property ownerhship changed hands and new owner didn't want them). One side is llano river and the rest is 800 acres that is not hunted. I havent seen them in person as i was just up there Friday evening and Saturday morning chdcking cameras and setting up two more bow stands.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Axis question - 09/21/20 12:06 AM

We do not manage axis or any other exotic, they get a bullet on site. That buck would be meat in the freezer, even if he was only 10".
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Axis question - 09/21/20 04:08 PM

I'd say that top one looks pretty good, the second one looks like he might have broken an eye guard or as someone pointed out, he's on the decline. He is big bodied for sure. I'd probably take either one if given an opportunity, especially with a bow.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Axis question - 09/21/20 06:51 PM

If it were me and I saw either while hunting, I would take it. I had a few photos of Axis bucks on my place in Brown County during the spring/summer of 2015. They showed daily for a week or so, and never seen again.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum