Texas Hunting Forum

Aging exotics

Posted By: cibolo

Aging exotics - 07/14/20 08:50 PM

We recently purchased a ranch that is loaded up with exotics. They are relatively young as far as we can tell and according to what the previous owner told us. We have a little bit of everything and the one’s i think i will have trouble with is black bucks and oryx.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Aging exotics - 07/14/20 09:12 PM

I hate to bring up the tired old subject, but I don't mean anything by it one way or another - high fence or low fence? My friends on here have told me blackbuck breed like flies. And by, "oryx", I assume you mean Scimitar horned oryx?

By trouble, you mean aging or keeping them in? Either way, sounds like you have some fun problems!
Posted By: don k

Re: Aging exotics - 07/14/20 10:24 PM

To me age has nothing to do with exotics if you are going to market them. The quality and size of horns and antlers is where the money is.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Aging exotics - 07/14/20 10:55 PM

I have to assume this is a high fence property.
Age doesn’t mean much, what’s on top of the head? That’s all anyone cares about.
Are you planning to sell hints or is this a private/family place to enjoy?

Re: Aging exotics - 07/17/20 05:31 AM

high fence and we will be selling some hunts to supplement feed costs. I understand with exotics it is what kind of headgear they have but to get that headgear they need some age i would think. then aggain we have a fallow that is a moose and he is young. you look at his parents that he came from and they are twice as big but i would shoot him right now and be completely happy with him. the oryx are schimitar and those are all new to me as well.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Aging exotics - 07/17/20 01:07 PM

A 5 ft fence is high fence to a black buck or schimitar.

Cibolo- on oryx only way I’ve been able to tell is when they hit over the hill and body degrades or over 35”
Posted By: TenTenWhitetails

Re: Aging exotics - 07/17/20 05:09 PM

Trap out what you don't want and keep the better genetics.

Re: Aging exotics - 07/18/20 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by TenTenWhitetails
Trap out what you don't want and keep the better genetics.

We are talking to a few outfits to see if they want to buy everything but the axis and fallow
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Aging exotics - 07/19/20 02:21 PM

Oryx are tough and can be aggressive

Re: Aging exotics - 07/23/20 04:48 AM

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum