Texas Hunting Forum

Questions on Axis and Black Bucks

Posted By: Jeff in TX

Questions on Axis and Black Bucks - 11/14/19 04:16 PM

Buddy and I are looking to hunt both next fall. We keep seeing trophy Axis and Black Buck. Having no history with these animals. What exactly is a trophy Axis and BB. I realize it's pretty much like WT. I 120 class is a monster for some and giggle for others.

Can anyone give me some guidelines on what a good shooter is both. Any recommendations on where to hunt them. Would prefer free range if possible or a very large high fence ranch of 12,000 acres or more.

Thanks!
Posted By: buck wild

Re: Questions on Axis and Black Bucks - 11/14/19 05:02 PM

18" on BB and 30" on axis used to be the gold standard
Posted By: don k

Re: Questions on Axis and Black Bucks - 11/14/19 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TX
Buddy and I are looking to hunt both next fall. We keep seeing trophy Axis and Black Buck. Having no history with these animals. What exactly is a trophy Axis and BB. I realize it's pretty much like WT. I 120 class is a monster for some and giggle for others.

Can anyone give me some guidelines on what a good shooter is both. Any recommendations on where to hunt them. Would prefer free range if possible or a very large high fence ranch of 12,000 acres or more.

Thanks!

Any fence except a 5 wire or less barb wire fence is a HF to a BB.
Posted By: Takota08

Re: Questions on Axis and Black Bucks - 11/14/19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by don k

Thanks!

Don is right, hard to find true free range Blackbuck. Axis is very possible though.
Posted By: Jeff in TX

Re: Questions on Axis and Black Bucks - 11/14/19 07:54 PM

Thanks!

I've heard they don't jump fences. Thanks
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Questions on Axis and Black Bucks - 11/14/19 11:51 PM

Just about any of the bigger outfits that advertise here are going to put you on a very nice Axis or BB.

My Axis was over 30", but my BB was only 16.5". He was still a trophy to me as he was almost completely black, the base of his horns were very worn down and he was whoopin azz on a BB that had at least 3" more horn length than he did. He was a bad-azz.

Both are beautiful animals and just like whitetails, the "trophy" aspect is all up to the person pulling the trigger.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Questions on Axis and Black Bucks - 11/15/19 03:18 PM

Thanks!

I've heard they don't jump fences. Thanks

They rather go through them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum