Texas Hunting Forum

Lower Rio Grande Valley Teniente Nilgia Hunt

Posted By: SCliving Outdoors

Lower Rio Grande Valley Teniente Nilgia Hunt - 11/11/19 12:10 AM

Hey guys,
Im new to this forum. Over the past year I have met a couple Texans while hunting in Idaho and Colorado. These guys have been super kind and I have stayed in contact with them. A few of these guys spoke really highly of this forum and they told me I should join when I told them I hunted Aoudad DIY early this year. Well, here I am, haha. I applied for tags all over the west so I figured I would throw my name in the hat for some of the Texas draw hunts through TPWD. I can be kind of lucky when it comes to drawing tags and wouldn't you know it I drew Nilgai for the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Feb 6-9th permit. I was wondering if any of you have done this hunt? What can I expect? I have hunted all over, but I have never hunted down in that area and I definitely haven't ever hunted Nilgai. I have looked at the area on googly earth, google maps, and onX. Im guessing its just brush country? Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Feel free to send me a pm if that would be preferable.

Thanks in advance,
Stan
Posted By: rsquared

Re: Lower Rio Grande Valley Teniente Nilgia Hunt - 11/11/19 03:23 PM

texas bowhunters has several reports on the lower teniente

i have only hunted the laguna atascosa for them and it was with archery.

they are a tough critter
the land is brush and all things that like to poke you smile

i have not been to teniente, but it is probably similar to laguna.
very few trees of size, at least none that would hold a tree stand.
thick thick brush along with open areas of high grass or weeds

fyi, if they bust you or spook, they do not stop running for quite a while.
so you better sneak up on them when they don't see you or sit still and wait for them to move thru
i know that is a master of the obvious statement, but i saw so many dudes just walking aimlessly and then acting surprised when the nilgai busted out of there at 400 yds away.
they have eagle vision, it would seem.
Posted By: bassmastar34

Re: Lower Rio Grande Valley Teniente Nilgia Hunt - 12/28/19 10:57 PM

pm sent i drew the hunt for the same weekend
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Lower Rio Grande Valley Teniente Nilgia Hunt - 01/03/20 07:37 PM

I'm leaving this Friday on a Nilgai hunt in the same general vicinity. Terrain is VERY different than what you're used to in the West, starting with limited elevation, lots of scrub brush and grassy savannahs which limit visibility AND the ability to sneak up on them. I hunted Nilgai last year on a 4-day trip and never got close enough to take a confident shot, the animals are hyper-alert and skittish, have great vision and hearing, and if they spot you, they move fast and won't stop running for a long time. Make sure you pack for warm weather and then also layers, it gets hot during the day but if there's cold wind blowing from the north there's little cover and it can get cold.
Posted By: bassmastar34

Re: Lower Rio Grande Valley Teniente Nilgia Hunt - 01/22/20 03:15 PM

Does anyone on here know of a good processor in the Raymondville area to have Nilgai done? this is the first time i will be hunting this area
Posted By: magspa

Re: Lower Rio Grande Valley Teniente Nilgia Hunt - 01/24/20 01:57 PM

There are two..here's the number for the one I prefer when I don't do my own. The other one is Rudy's. This one is on frontage on easy side of interstate right before 186. I think it would be easier and cheaper to just quarter and take to a processer in your home area though. I usually steak out the back straps and take quarters and neck to be ground for burger and sausage or keep neck whole for roast.
956-367-6100
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum