Texas Hunting Forum

Exotics in 5 foot fence???

Posted By: Sarg56

Exotics in 5 foot fence??? - 02/04/19 05:01 PM

What kind, if any exotics will generally stay in a 5 foot game fence if not pushed hard? I am looking to put up a 5 foot game fence so it remains low fence for whitetail but looking to put a few exotics in it if possible. Any advice or experience in this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Exotics in 5 foot fence??? - 02/04/19 05:11 PM

Sheep and blackbuck

Papalote
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Exotics in 5 foot fence??? - 02/04/19 06:02 PM

I know a man who raised Scimitar Horned Oryx and Blackbuck behind a 52" sheep and goat netwire fence. Keeping predators out is as critical as keeping the animals in. I would think Addax, Gemsbok, Zebra and Wildebeast could be kept behind the same height fence. It would need to be a good quality 6" spacing net wire fence to start with for anything you will try to keep behind the fence. Also where you get you animals to start will play a huge roll.
Posted By: don k

Re: Exotics in 5 foot fence??? - 02/04/19 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I know a man who raised Scimitar Horned Oryx and Blackbuck behind a 52" sheep and goat netwire fence. Keeping predators out is as critical as keeping the animals in. I would think Addax, Gemsbok, Zebra and Wildebeast could be kept behind the same height fence. It would need to be a good quality 6" spacing net wire fence to start with for anything you will try to keep behind the fence. Also where you get you animals to start will play a huge roll.

The last sentence is the most important.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Exotics in 5 foot fence??? - 02/04/19 07:31 PM

When my wife and I went to Namibia on a plains game hunt, we chased a one horn gemsbok up and down a gravel road for 3/4-1 mile and he was within 2 feet of a 4 strand barbed wire fence. when I asked the outfitter why he did not jump the fence and run, he said plains game animals prefer to go under a fence than jump it. They will jump a fence but have to be pushed hard, such as a leopard on their rear end. I watched a pretty good kudu go under a 4 ft fence. The lands we hunted had small 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft cutouts in the fence so animals could go under and not jump. we were hunting approx. 300,000 acre tract with the only high fence I saw was where some high dollar exotics (to us) were.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum