Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Sheep?

Posted By: jskin

Hunting Sheep? - 01/25/19 04:51 PM

I did my first aoudad hunt this year and now I’m hooked. But I was wondeng if there is a thrill involved to shooting other sheep like mouflon, Corsican, etc? Seems like shooting fish in a barrel if it’s anything like I picture it. No offense I just don’t know much about it
Posted By: don k

Re: Hunting Sheep? - 01/25/19 05:21 PM

Mouflon and Red Sheep and also very wild.but probably nothing compares to Aoudad.
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Hunting Sheep? - 01/25/19 05:31 PM

We hunt them free range along the Devils River - mainly Corsican and a handful of mouflon cross rams. The terrain is rugged and they are wild.
As hard if not harder to hunt than the aoudad out there. Other places yes they are easier to hunt but in general Mouflon are pretty dang wild anywhere
you hunt them
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Hunting Sheep? - 01/25/19 06:24 PM

Want an almost impossible hunt? Amistad with a bow. shocked
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Hunting Sheep? - 01/26/19 04:40 AM

True wild sheep hunt are usually considered the worlds most difficult hunts, the more domesticated species ie: Texas Dall, Black Hawaiian are easy, but mouflon, red sheep, urial and other "wild sheep" have great vision and are difficult to hunt on large ranches.
Posted By: SJdport57

Re: Hunting Sheep? - 02/01/19 12:21 AM

It varies on the location and the sheep. I’ve hunted for Corsican, Texas Dall, Black Hawaiian, and Catalina, and every hunt was different. The Corsican wasn’t too bright but the Catalina was an incredibly cagey animal.South Texas brush country provides almost impenetrable defense for them, and they tend to stick close to their buddies so when they’re c clear of brush they aren’t safe to shoot. Bow hunts make it even more difficult because you have very limited windows of opportunity.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hunting Sheep? - 02/01/19 02:57 PM

IME the sheep around Amistad are not very wild. I fish around them quite a bit and could kill most of them from my boat with a bow.

a Mouflon sheep is very wild and a hard hunt....find a ranch that has a pure strain and you'll have a fun hunt.

I've been around a ton of texas dall, black Hawaiian and Corsican and none of them have been wild, whether or not the herd had been hunted or not.
Posted By: captdavid

Re: Hunting Sheep? - 02/01/19 03:37 PM

Aren't all those Texas dalls, Hawaiian, painted desert, etcetera, all just color phases of Corsicans? capt david
Posted By: Ram Eater

Re: Hunting Sheep? - 02/02/19 06:27 PM

It can be very challenging and rewarding. I certainly enjoy it, especially with a bow.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum