Texas Hunting Forum

Unexpected Fallow

Posted By: SJdport57

Unexpected Fallow - 11/19/18 05:32 PM

I drew an antlerless whitetail hunt for the Lake Alan Henry WMA and spent this last weekend trying to fill it. When I got there Friday afternoon the wildlife tech explained the rules to me. Spikes and button bucks were allowed but not encouraged, and he instructed me to only shoot deer that were accompanied by bucks. After 3 hours of hunting in my blind I decided to slowly head back to the truck and see if I could creep up on a deer in the last 15mins of shooting time. I quickly ran into a herd of 4 deer, 3 antlerless and a big 8 point whitetail. I picked out the biggest antlerless and dropped it with a parting heart shot. When I got up to it I realized I had shot a young fallow buck who had tiny antlers! The wildlife tech was convinced it was a mule/whitetail hybrid but I’m 98% sure it’s a fallow. Either way I got to keep it! [Linked Image]
Not what I was expecting but I’ll take it!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Unexpected Fallow - 11/19/18 11:45 PM

The white line has me thinking it’s a fallow as well. Congrats
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Unexpected Fallow - 11/21/18 12:28 PM

It is a fallow
Posted By: TCB

Re: Unexpected Fallow - 11/25/18 02:54 AM

What did the tail look like? The horn base looks like it could be a fallow but the body coloring is telling me something else.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Unexpected Fallow - 11/25/18 03:01 AM

Sure looks like a fallow, good eating. Glad you get keep it up
Posted By: rsquared

Re: Unexpected Fallow - 12/17/18 05:11 PM

if it was a fallow, it would have had a penis sheath hanging down below his belly, it is very distinctive on fallow males, even the yearlings who have not yet had their antlers protruding

would be better to see pictures of tail and sheath, because from this picture, it does not look like a fallow to me.

not to mention, a young fallow like that would likely hang out with his mama vs a herd of whitetail
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum