Texas Hunting Forum

trophy mule deer hunts in units 2c,3 or 7 units in New

Posted By: mark canfield

trophy mule deer hunts in units 2c,3 or 7 units in New - 07/24/18 10:52 PM

Looking at possibly 2 guys wanting a 5 day hunt .1 guide for 2 hunters ONLY in these units. I know that we would have to draw but any help would be grateful.ANY info that you can provide,such as if you have known anyone who has hunted the area . Thanks Mark
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: trophy mule deer hunts in units 2c,3 or 7 units in New - 07/26/18 01:38 AM

2c has big deer , very hard to draw i think they only give out like 15 tags
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: trophy mule deer hunts in units 2c,3 or 7 units in New - 07/26/18 03:06 PM

I was in 2C about 15 years ago so my take isn't current at all. 2C has always limited the # of tags which will lead to bigger deer just by sheer numbers alone. Most folks hunt the edge of the reservation and the chance for a true giant Mule deer is real. The hard part is getting drawn! Good Luck sir!
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: trophy mule deer hunts in units 2c,3 or 7 units in New - 07/30/18 04:26 AM

Ditto. Good luck getting drawn. But biggest mule deer by 50”+ I’ve ever seen in my life was walking down the shoulder of the highway that separates unit 2c and 2B. I nearly wrecked.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: trophy mule deer hunts in units 2c,3 or 7 units in New - 07/31/18 06:19 PM

I got drawn 3 years ago for 2A, smaller unit than 2C. Did not have much luck seeing deer, except for 2 young 2x2's and one really nice 4x4 the night before opening and was standing right by the highway. The hunt was muzzleloader which also coincided with archery elk - of which I saw plenty!!! Beautiful country right next to the Jicarilla Reservation.
Posted By: don k

Re: trophy mule deer hunts in units 2c,3 or 7 units in New - 08/02/18 04:11 PM

I hunted 2B many times quite a few years ago before the draw. Then one time during the draw. The last time when I got drawn the area had changed quite a bit. They had improved the roads and drilled numerous oil wells. There were more hunters than before the draw. I saw one 3X3 buck that hunt. Still saw a lot of wild horses like before. I saw and shot at the largest Mule Deer Buck I have ever seen during one of the hunts I did there before the draw.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum