Texas Hunting Forum

Just won a free Africa hunt!

Posted By: crozierk

Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/21/18 04:40 PM

Well, got a FB message this morning and looks like I'm going to be going to Africa next month! Pretty excited, to say the least. Now to find a plane ticket partyon555
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/21/18 05:32 PM

Awesome!
Congrats!
Posted By: hetman

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/21/18 05:51 PM

this wasan't from some Prince via facebook ????
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/21/18 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: crozierk
Well, got a FB message this morning and looks like I'm going to be going to Africa next month! Pretty excited, to say the least. Now to find a plane ticket partyon555

Congrats. Now save yourself the heartache and frustration by calling Steve Turner, Travel With Guns. Used them 3 times going to Africa and they are top notch.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/21/18 09:50 PM

Save even more frustration and borrow a rifle when you get there. I've done this twice now and it's the only way to travel and hunt!!!
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/21/18 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
Save even more frustration and borrow a rifle when you get there. I've done this twice now and it's the only way to travel and hunt!!!

Yea i used their guns and they were good quality we shot them before to make sure they were on.
Posted By: Raypo

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/22/18 01:48 AM

I took a bow and borrowed a rifle for a giraffe.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/22/18 02:01 AM

I'm just gonna borrow theirs. I'm pretty excitet!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/22/18 03:40 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/23/18 04:00 AM

Which outfit are you hunting with?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/25/18 03:33 PM

Be very careful with your taxidermy choices. It adds up surprisingly quickly.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/27/18 09:26 PM

Thanks all! TXhunter, Ka Maoto safaris. I can't find much online, but I have talked with Mike Jones quite a bit and seems like a good guy. Overall, pretty excited to go over there with them. Syncerus, for taxidermy I am looking at doing all euros with a couple flat skins. Based on the price list I got probably coming in around 1,100 taxidermy bill if I add a zebra.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/27/18 09:45 PM

Don't forget shipping and customs clearance fees.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/27/18 09:57 PM

Yeah I got those looked at as well. Looking at using coppersmith to clear customs, figured if I budget $500 for them and maybe 1100 for shipping. It would be 5 euro mounts and two flatskins at most. Have you been before? I am really just making slightly educated guesses on costs for that stuff.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 02:05 AM

I forgot to say congrats on the trip. You’ll have an unbelievable time. I bought my first trip at a DU auction and am headed back in April of next year.

I had 7 euro’s and one flat skin shipping was about $600 by air and we cleared our own, it was very easy and cost about $55. If you’ll do the research and fill out the paperwork correctly it’s not as complicated most think. If you have any questions the staff at fish and wildlife and customs were very helpful, all the fish and wildlife forms can be done electronic. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm and I’ll send you my number.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 04:27 AM

Holy cow! That honestly makes me feel a whole lot better, especially on shipping. Who did you use to ship? And Can I clear them in Dallas? Sorry, I'm about to start researching but hadnt really thought about trying to clear them myself..
Posted By: BMD

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 04:57 AM

Congrats. What is thethe free hunt deal? A lot of times they throw short hunt in and give cheap animals to get you there hoping you will book for longer and add animals when in reality you could have booked a package with animals you really want for same money, hopefully they gave some decent animals on the hunt. Taking guns isn’t that much of hassle. Good luck.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
I forgot to say congrats on the trip. You’ll have an unbelievable time. I bought my first trip at a DU auction and am headed back in April of next year.

I had 7 euro’s and one flat skin shipping was about $600 by air and we cleared our own, it was very easy and cost about $55. If you’ll do the research and fill out the paperwork correctly it’s not as complicated most think. If you have any questions the staff at fish and wildlife and customs were very helpful, all the fish and wildlife forms can be done electronic. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm and I’ll send you my number.

Agreed clear your own and it has never cost me anything other than a little time.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Don't forget shipping and customs clearance fees.

Customs doesn’t charge fees. Clear your own and save the money

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: crozierk
Holy cow! That honestly makes me feel a whole lot better, especially on shipping. Who did you use to ship? And Can I clear them in Dallas? Sorry, I'm about to start researching but hadnt really thought about trying to clear them myself..

Have any questions on clearing feel free I have cleared mine twice and heard back june 10 for 17 days
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 05:03 AM

Congrats!!! No advice but that’s awesome!

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 01:18 PM

My shipping was set up by the taxidermist once the taxidermy was complete and I paid one bill that included both. The $55 I paid was to the bonded holding company here in Dallas when I picked up the crate. Yes you can clear them here at DFW. Funny thing is fish and wildlife never even bothered to look at my animals. I’m assuming it’s because they were finished taxidermy and all euro’s. But I still had to do all the paperwork.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
My shipping was set up by the taxidermist once the taxidermy was complete and I paid one bill that included both. The $55 I paid was to the bonded holding company here in Dallas when I picked up the crate. Yes you can clear them here at DFW. Funny thing is fish and wildlife never even bothered to look at my animals. I’m assuming it’s because they were finished taxidermy and all euro’s. But I still had to do all the paperwork.

Customs opened mine but fish and wildlife did not. I didn’t have to pay dock fee as long as you get there before they charge a daily storage fee maybe that is what you paid. But it is a simple process

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 03:10 PM

Thanks for all your input. I was doing the math and getting this stuff back and it was sort of concerning me, haha. I budgeted shipping at $1,200 so hopefully I can knock a few hundred off that, and doing the customs stuff myself will probably save me another $500. Definitely looking a lot more feasible.

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 02/28/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Congrats. What is thethe free hunt deal? A lot of times they throw short hunt in and give cheap animals to get you there hoping you will book for longer and add animals when in reality you could have booked a package with animals you really want for same money, hopefully they gave some decent animals on the hunt. Taking guns isn’t that much of hassle. Good luck.

It is a 5 day hunt, lodging and observer included. 5 species on the list, blue wildebeest, impala, blesbok, springbok, and then a pick between duiker/steenbok. Definitely designed to get me and a hunting buddy over there and add a few animals, but I'm ok with that. The blue, impala and blesbok wouldve been on my list and the springbok are definitely pretty. I'll probably pass on the duiker and add a warthog and hopefully either a zebra or gemsbok. So far I'm into the trip for $1,200 bucks for airfare, and then I'll do some less expensive taxidermy. All in all, I'm not displeased with list and it'll save me a little coin I think. As I mentioned on the deer subforum, I am a fairly new hunter and my deer rifle is currently a marlin 30-30, so I think I'm just gonna borrow their guns. Thanks for the advice so far, everyone here and on AH has been a big help.
Posted By: TXDuckCreeklabs

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 03/05/18 08:39 PM

up
Posted By: Texasbdog

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 03/06/18 03:36 AM

Did you win that waffle?
Posted By: Etommy28

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 03/12/18 10:50 PM

I went last summer my only regret is not getting a springbok, I let my sister have my gun and take a gold metal springbok. 10 mins later I passed on a management ram, I guess I have to go back. I will say a gemsbok is a difficult hunt or at least was for me, second only to an eland ( walked 15 miles over two days tracking multiple bachelor groups but ended up with a stud).
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 03/17/18 10:19 PM

the free hunt he won was on the facebook page I run...Texas Exotic Hunting Reloaded. We’ve given away over 30 free hunt...from fallow, blackbuck, whitetail, hogs, turkey, etc.

Y’all need to join the page!

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 03/19/18 01:42 PM

Hey Aaron, it was actually of ka maotos page. I did see them initially on yours. Go like ka maoto and Texas exotic hunting reloaded.
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: Just won a free Africa hunt! - 03/20/18 04:23 AM

oh my bad! it looks like they may have done 2 giveaway. generous folks!! smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum