Texas Hunting Forum

the best meat

Posted By: venator ne

the best meat - 09/18/15 09:24 PM

I have hunted all over the world and the best meat I have eaten is Scimitar Horned Oryx bar non. What do you think?
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: the best meat - 09/18/15 09:32 PM

I love Axis and Scimitar Oryx as well but my favorite is Eland. Nilgai is very good too! Baker
Posted By: bghunter3

Re: the best meat - 09/18/15 11:30 PM

Addax was unreal. Eland was pretty good too.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: the best meat - 09/18/15 11:57 PM

Like all the ones named so far but my favorite game meat is from smaller game Rabbit. Of the exotic animals Axis, Eland and Nilgai all rank real high IMO.

Best medium and large native game I have had, elk and pronghorn that were killed in or very near alfalfa fields and moose
Posted By: rbw1

Re: the best meat - 09/19/15 12:00 AM

Eland
Posted By: the lab

Re: the best meat - 09/19/15 02:30 AM

I love axis and very much enjoyed scimitar horned oryx, but the best (IMO) by far is caribou. I have heard forest caribou is not so good, but I took a barren ground caribou near Dead Horse and AMAZING would be a great understatement
Posted By: trapperben

Re: the best meat - 09/19/15 03:47 AM

Agree with Kmon1 small game like cottontails are the best. All I hunted when young. I think squirrel is better then rabbit. Upland birds though are the best. Big game wise elk and moose are the best I have had. Sandhill crane is great and I like venison. Feral hog is good. I need to try some of the exotics. Waiting on the right hunt.
Posted By: GHale

Re: the best meat - 09/19/15 11:45 AM

I shot an oryx in January and that meat has been outstanding! I love Elk, Red Stag and moose as well.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: the best meat - 09/19/15 07:20 PM

Axis over white tail. Love almost all of the African plains game but I will go with the cape buffalo.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: the best meat - 09/19/15 09:12 PM

Squirrel, ruffed grouse, sand hill crane and then whitetail. Of course any animal that is hand fed grain/protein is going to taste closer to beef than low fence/free range/non human fed of the same species.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: the best meat - 09/20/15 12:17 AM

If we are adding birds then sand hill crane is the rib eye in the sky.
Posted By: therancher

Re: the best meat - 09/20/15 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: venator ne
I have hunted all over the world and the best meat I have eaten is Scimitar Horned Oryx bar non. What do you think?

All the African antelope are top notch. You're not going to beat eland though.

Unless you have access to pere David.
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: the best meat - 09/21/15 12:13 AM

Moose, is great then Oryx/Gemsbok and Elk.
okiehuntr
Posted By: Erny

Re: the best meat - 09/21/15 01:46 AM

I agree with okie hunter. Moose is the best I have had. Bison is a close second. Elk, eland, oryx, and axis are all great.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 12:54 AM

Pronghorn is my favorite 4 legged critter, and Sandhill crane IS Ribeye of the sky.... grill
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 01:12 AM

Oryx, gemsbok, axis are always great. But my daughter shot a free range black buck that I do not know what he ate, but he was amazing good.
Posted By: Sevens

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 02:22 AM

I've got one more black buck roast in the fridge and it has to be the best game animal I have cooked so far. Pronghorn antelope and wild boar are also favorites, but that black buck has been delicious.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 04:16 AM

Pronghorn? Yall are nuts
Posted By: txshntr

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 04:47 AM

I am going to have venture out more and try some of these...Axis and Elk were both pretty dang good.
Posted By: therancher

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas
Pronghorn? Yall are nuts

And blackbuck. While blackbuck is better than pronghorn, if one thinks either is top notch, it's either numb taste buds or non comparative preparation.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Pronghorn? Yall are nuts

And blackbuck. While blackbuck is better than pronghorn, if one thinks either is top notch, it's either numb taste buds or non comparative preparation.

Like a lot of animals diet has a lot to do with how they will taste. Pronghorn that I killed in grain fields near alfalfa fields were fantastic. Where they only had native grass and sage brush not a good. Same with elk.

Have had some blackbuck that was excellent and some the dog would not eat.

As far as preparation, I did the field care, processing and cooking on all of them so know the preparation was not the issue.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 11:02 AM

I am "numb" in the taste bud department But willing to try most anything.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 12:23 PM

Whatever is on the plate food
Posted By: conifer

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 01:26 PM

Pronghorn? Yall are nuts

agreed
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 02:09 PM

Pronghorn? Yall are nuts

50% blackbuck/50% pork is ok for tomato based sauces, but outside of that, I am not a fan of it at all.

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 05:44 PM

So here is another one for you. Young Aoudad, if cared for in the field and kitchen is hard to beat. I'm NOT talking about a 30 inch ram, but a 20 inch ram that is skin quartered on iced quickly and aged. Yum Yum.... food
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 05:59 PM

I'll give away every Auodad,Pronghorn,and sagebrush eating Muley I get.

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 06:03 PM

Last Aoudad I got was just coming off an alfalfa field, man was it good.
Posted By: don k

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 06:23 PM

I really hate to say this but I make sausage out of WT and use the back strap from Axis for chicken fried steak. The rest of the Axis is sausage and hamburger. I then use the money I get for selling WT to buy Rib eyes from beef.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: venator ne

I haven't hunted all over the world but I agree. Last year I brought home an Oryx and an Eland (protein fed) and compared them to white tail and my beloved feral pork and there was no comparison to the Oryx. I've only eaten Black Buck once (back strap) and it was very good. I LOVE Axis but the Oryx was still better than Axis or Fallow IMO. Audad was nasty, I love cottontail...I guess the only game meat that I liked more than the Oryx was a young cow Elk. Wish I had some more of that!. food
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 06:42 PM

I need to venture out more, I've never had Elk, Oryx, or Eland.. Only exotic I've had was from an Axis I killed. I was expecting it to blow my socks off from all the talk about it, but it was just ok..
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 08:16 PM

Pronghorn? Yall are nuts

I would put Bison, Axis, Gemsbok, Fallow, Elk and Stag all above Blackbuck in that order (havent eaten Scimitar Oryx or Eland or i would expect them to be near the top)....it was better than whitetail and duck though.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: the best meat - 09/22/15 09:50 PM

A lot depends on what an animal has been eating. There is a vast difference in whitetail, there is no comparison between, one that have been browsing on white cedar and a farmland buck raised on corn, soybeans, and acorns. Just as a northern whitetail raised on white cedar, isn't very good, animals that eat a significant amount of sage aren't very good.
Posted By: Sevens

Re: the best meat - 09/23/15 02:52 AM

As others mentioned, what the animal ate, how the meat was cared for, and how (and by whom) it's cooked will all play a huge roll in how the animal tastes.

The blackbuck I shot tasted fantastic, but its diet consisted of mostly grass (because that's what was all around) and it was shot this year right around when all the rain was hitting Texas - so food was plentiful. Wife and I have cooked it several ways, but by far my favorite has been seared in a saute pan with some olive oil and a bit salt and pepper for seasoning. Let the meat rest for a few minutes after cooking, then slice and serve...

On the flip side, I shot an oryx - which everyone seems to love - and didn't have much to say about it. It wasn't bad, but not memorable.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: the best meat - 09/23/15 03:27 AM

Upland - Ruff Grouse
Big Game - Calf Moose
Fish - Arctic Char
Posted By: Cowboyhockey14

Re: the best meat - 09/23/15 07:53 PM

Bison and Eland is the best that I have had.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: the best meat - 09/23/15 07:56 PM

Birds - Quail
Fish - Walleye
Game - Bison/Elk
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: the best meat - 09/23/15 09:47 PM

Red stag
Posted By: PBGSO

Re: the best meat - 09/26/15 02:13 AM

I will say this Eland is probably the best tasting exotic meat in my opinion.. We do a lot of pronghorn hunts in the Panhandle and few hunters will not take their meat thinking that its no good but honestly in that area or where we hunt its mostly winter wheat and not sage and its very tasty meat I must say.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: the best meat - 09/26/15 02:25 AM

Nilgai, Eland, wildebeest....
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: the best meat - 09/26/15 02:40 AM

Fan of Gemsbok
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum