Texas Hunting Forum

Introduction of Exotic Deer Species

Posted By: Taylorpp

Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/24/15 07:54 AM

When it comes to operating a ranch, your deer herd can often be comprised of a variety of different types of species. Whether you have recently spotted what appears to be a new species of deer or you are interested in introducing some exotics into your herd, it can be helpful to know about the various species of deer.

Whitetail deer are among the most well known species of deer in the United States. This is because this species is native to North America. A medium-sized deer, whitetail males typically weigh between 130 and 300 pounds, while females often weigh between 100 and 200 pounds. The coat of a whitetail deer will often change somewhat from a brown during the summer months to more of a grey-brown during the winter. The prominent white underside to this species' tail gives this deer its name, whitetail.

While most people do not think about moose as being deer, they are actually the largest of all deer species. Generally found in cool climates, moose can weigh in at nearly 2,000 pounds. Featuring a flap of loose skin that hangs down under the throats, known as a bell, and a long face, moose are primarily known for their massive size.

Mule deer can be found throughout the United States. This species of deer takes its name from its ears. Large ears, a forked tail, and black-tipped tail also help to differentiate a mule deer from other species of deer.

Caribou are usually more frequently referred to as reindeer. These beloved creatures typically inhabit the Arctic regions. Unlike other species of deer, both male and female caribou grow antlers. The two thick layers of fur sported by these deer help to keep them warm during the frigid weather in their native area. During their annual migration period, caribou can travel distances of up to 3,000 miles.

If you have never heard of a barking deer, then you have probably never visited Southeast Asia. The Indian Muntiac is somewhat different from other species of deer in that rather than traveling in groups, they tend to roam alone. When they sense danger, they emit a deep bark, thus the name.

Sika deer take their name from a Japanese word, "shika," that means deer. These deer are also sometimes referred to as spotted deer. Native to Eastern Asia, this species is prized for their velvet antlers.

Fallow deer have become more well known to the United States, although they are native to Europe. Like whitetail, fallow deer have coats that change colors based on the seasons. These deer are particularly adept at jumping and have even been known to jump as high as two feet and as wide as five feet.

Chital deer are native to India. Known for their lyre-shaped antlers, this species travels in herds and has become prized for its venison. As a result, chital are now frequently found among exotics for sale in the United States.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/24/15 06:30 PM

I never thought moose was even close to a deer, thanks for the info.
Posted By: Tux Man

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/24/15 09:00 PM

Fallow deer have become more well known to the United States, although they are native to Europe. Like whitetail, fallow deer have coats that change colors based on the seasons. These deer are particularly adept at jumping and have even been known to jump as high as two feet and as wide as five feet.

Should read "jump as high as 2 METERS and as wide as 5 METERS"
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/25/15 06:29 PM

So a moose is a deer but what about stag and elk are they not?
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/25/15 07:53 PM

You might want to click on this link Deer Family click through on the sub family links to see how they are interrelated. Some things aren't as settled as they say but the general relationships are correct.
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 06:10 AM

Yes deer and red deer are both in the deer family.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Taylorpp

Mule deer can be found throughout the United States.

Mmmm not really. Western half does not quite qualify as "throughout". Nice write-up though.

Posted By: utcb

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 05:19 PM

Random question - North America is full of ranches that produce monster whitetail bucks through genetic management. Why don't we see that for mule deer? You see a few high fenced places popping up in Mexico or western states, but given the base frame for a mulie is larger than a whitetail, why aren't we seeing 400 and 500+ inch mule deer ranches?

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: utcb
Random question - North America is full of ranches that produce monster whitetail bucks through genetic management. Why don't we see that for mule deer? You see a few high fenced places popping up in Mexico or western states, but given the base frame for a mulie is larger than a whitetail, why aren't we seeing 400 and 500+ inch mule deer ranches?

This is a good question
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8

This is a good question

My first thoughts are regulations around trapping, transporting, and breeding? Or possibily just lack of demand?
Great questions though..

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 05:39 PM

I think the mule deer hunting is getting more and more popular as peo0le are wanting to experience a variety of terrains and types of hunting.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 05:44 PM

Totally agree.. I ve really noticed a pick up in interest over the last year or two..Im interested to see how this post fills out.

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 05:47 PM

There are at least a couple I know of out in west Texas doing that with mule deer and there is at least one in Mexico, also in the dakotas I am sure there is more, I just know of few around.

I also think that they are a long ways behind what the guys raising whitetails are by alot of years and only a few people raising them compared to thousands raising whitetails.

I would say give it a few more years and we will start seeing mule deer hunts for 250" deer from HF ranches.

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 05:50 PM

I think mule deer hunting is in demand. If you look at the Mexico free ranging hunts for mulies (around $10K), they demand a higher price tag than free ranging whitetail hunts in Alberta, Kansas or other places (they're around $6,500). The higher price tag for the mule deer has been that way for close to 10 years now. I would think if there was a high fenced ranch producing 35+ inch mulies with drop tines, that ranch would have a waiting list a mile long. I know there are definite international regulations between the US and Mexico with mulies, but am not familiar with transportation and breeding within the US. I've had this question for a while and would love to find the answer. Are whitetails easier to genetically manipulate than mulies?
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 08:57 PM

One big reason is that high fences are illegal in many western states. And, many mountain Mule Deer herds migrate, so it's tougher to "manage" a buck on one ranch his whole life when he migrates on and off of it.

Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 09:27 PM

There already is a place..Bugle Canyon Ranch in Nebraska

Mule Deer
$5900 Under 160 SCI Gross Score
$7900 160-180
$9900 180-200
$12,900 over 200

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
There already is a place..Bugle Canyon Ranch in Nebraska

Mule Deer
$5900 Under 160 SCI Gross Score
$7900 160-180
$9900 180-200
$12,900 over 200

These are standard genetics - I have 2 mulies over 200; one shot in Wyoming, one shot in Utah. On some Mexican ranches, you can expect 210-220. My question was why aren't we seeing 300+ inch mule deer.

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg

One big reason is that high fences are illegal in many western states. And, many mountain Mule Deer herds migrate, so it's tougher to "manage" a buck on one ranch his whole life when he migrates on and off of it.

That was once the case, but you are seeing this change almost across the board. There are high fenced elk ranches in Utah, Idaho, and Colorado that were advertizing hunts at DSC. I've heard of high fenced ranches in New Mexico and Arizona. Mule deer migrate simply to find food. You'll see this in areas of high snow fall, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. In southern Utah and Arizona, the deer don't have the same migratory patterns. My family has a 3,000 acre ranch (no fence) in northern Utah and the deer migrate on and off throughout the year. About 5 years ago, the state started giving incentives for ranches to feed throughout the winter to help the deer herds. A good portion of our deer herd stays through the winter now and doesn't migrate.

Re: Introduction of Exotic Deer Species - 01/26/15 10:47 PM

I think the only reason we are not seeing the 300" and bigger mullies is because the deer breeders haven't had enough time to get the genetics there to produce the numbers of deer on a regular basis that would be needed for hunting.

Right now alot of the genetics are coming from wild deer that have been harvested, mainly from a guy up in Montana, he is shipping the semen to different breeders since there is not the availability of mule deer in the breeding operations that are in whitetail facilities.

There is also guy breeding mule deer to whitetails with the 300"+ genetics. They say that a 75% mule deer whitetail cross is a good thing. You get a more robust deer that has the mule deer look and they can get the big antler genetics in the deer faster.

I think you can find HF ranches in most of the western states, in some states its only older ranches that high fenced before regulations came into play, other states allow HF operations.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum