Texas Hunting Forum

Scimitar Low fence experiences

Posted By: JROD

Scimitar Low fence experiences - 12/25/14 02:30 AM

Would like to stock our place with a few scimitar. Place is good net wire low fence. Any good or bad lessons learned with Scimitar? Thanks
Posted By: don k

Re: Scimitar Low fence experiences - 12/25/14 03:17 AM

Stay away from the front end of them.
Posted By: Stones1950

Re: Scimitar Low fence experiences - 12/29/14 09:07 PM

Scimitar can be suprisingly aggressive around whitetail and other exotics. I've seen them charge and scare off herds of aoudad from under feeders many times. Aoudad are usually the worst as far as aggressive behavior under the feeders and it normally takes a stick of dynamite to move them off but if scimitar show up, even the aoudad do a disappearing act.

Whitetail are on the bottom of the pecking order at feeders when it comes to feeding around exotics. Over a long period of time, exotics can decimate a whitetail population. Studies done by TPW under their management studies have proven this.

Good luck,

Stones1950
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Scimitar Low fence experiences - 12/29/14 10:54 PM

I had 2 big ones show up one afternoon first time I ever got buck fever looking through binos I could not hold them still it was crazy all I had with me that day was a 100 year old Winchester loaded lite in 32-40,love me some low fence free range!
Posted By: dcrancher

Re: Scimitar Low fence experiences - 12/30/14 12:44 PM

Oryx are grazers and go nicely with whitetail provided you are not overstocked on either; if it is a feedlot scenario then the oryx will likely rule the feedsite.
I have never seen them be aggressive towards people but don't doubt that it could happen in smaller pastures/pens.
As far as keeping them in a low fence-- we darted 11 out of a pen with a 5 foot pipe fence and they never made any attempt to jump it. They did test out the strength of the pipe a few times...
You should also know that they are on the endangered species list. They are currently under an exemption from the permitting process associated with Endangered Species Act; but this could change. Without the exemption you would need a captive breeding permit and cull permit from US Fish and Wildlife in order to harvest any.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum