Texas Hunting Forum

So I'm going on my 1st mouflon hunt!

Posted By: clear creek 89

So I'm going on my 1st mouflon hunt! - 10/06/14 01:00 AM

Finally got it booked and can't wait never hunted anything other than the norm! The hunt is in south texas 8hrs away. So say I shoot one what is the safest way to get the cape and meat back? ( since ive never hunted over 30min from the house) just wondering what the easiest way is?
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: So I'm going on my 1st mouflon hunt! - 10/06/14 01:21 AM

Get the cape off and salted. Be sure to turn the ears and lips. If there is any meat in on the hide, you risk rot and the hair falling off. It's called slipping. Salt will dry it all out and preserve it for your taxidermist. Be sure to cape give him lots of hide to work with. I cape my animals from around the middle of the belly on up. You can never have too much hide for them to work with and he'll just cut off what he doesn't need.

8 Hours isn't bad for you meat. Just put it in a big ice chest and keep it dry. If you are flying, have the outfitter freeze it over night and pack it in double boxes or an ice chest. It will be fine.

Mouflon are fun to hunt, but they like to run and once they start to run, be sure you know which one is the best one and don't rush your shot if you are not sure. It's real easy to get them mixed up in a heard when they take off on you and then you find them again in a different area.

Eddie
Posted By: Hilonesome

Re: So I'm going on my 1st mouflon hunt! - 10/06/14 01:26 AM

Good Luck! where are you Hunting?
Posted By: clear creek 89

Re: So I'm going on my 1st mouflon hunt! - 10/06/14 02:07 AM

Edwards county
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: So I'm going on my 1st mouflon hunt! - 10/06/14 03:01 AM

1. Find he taxidermist before you go on the hunt so you already know who to take it to.

2. Talk to the taxidermist and ask him how he wants you to bring him the cape. He may want you to just have the outfitter cape the animal and freeze the cape. In other words he may not want you to salt it, etc. He also may tell you to just cape it to the base of the neck and freeze the head and cape so that he will do the final detailed caping of the face.

3. If you are going to freeze it (which is what I would recommend ... I would not salt it) you'll need to bring a bring a large cooler. A cape will keep for 8hr or more in a good cooler with ice or dry ice.

Bottom line, have your selection of a taxidermist made before the hunt and talk to him AHEAD of time about how to transport the trophy back to him from your hunt. He may also ask you to take some key measurements of the animal so he can order the correct size form.

Good luck!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: So I'm going on my 1st mouflon hunt! - 10/06/14 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: backwoods89
Edwards county

Edwards County is in the hill country not south texas FYI

if you are hunting pure bred mouflon, you are about to embark on the first step of a long and potentially expensive journey that will make most other types of hunting pale in comparison.

Good luck!
Posted By: Hilonesome

Re: So I'm going on my 1st mouflon hunt! - 10/08/14 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
[quote=backwoods89]Edwards county

if you are hunting pure bred mouflon, you are about to embark on the first step of a long and potentially expensive journey that will make most other types of hunting pale in comparison.

Good luck!

X2!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum