Texas Hunting Forum

Sheep hunters dream

Posted By: txtrophy85

Sheep hunters dream - 09/30/14 12:14 AM

Posted By: Kobus

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 09/30/14 12:19 AM

Wow! eek2

I wonder how much he would go for in Texas?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 09/30/14 12:34 AM

To put things in perspective, I believe the man in the picture was the Shah of Iran.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 09/30/14 12:36 AM

My mistake. The Shah was his older brother.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 09/30/14 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
My mistake. The Shah was his older brother.

Beat me to it. BTW, Jack O'Connor once wrote that Prince Abdorreza was the greatest sheep hunter that ever lived.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 09/30/14 02:05 AM

great looking ram.....I have seen several post where people state that Mouflons NEVER curl out like the one in the photo...so I guess there are exceptions
Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 09/30/14 02:18 AM

I know a guy that would give his left nut for a sheep like that. Great picture.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 09/30/14 03:37 AM

Left nut juggle Right nut
Posted By: Hilonesome

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/01/14 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
great looking ram.....I have seen several post where people state that Mouflons NEVER curl out like the one in the photo...so I guess there are exceptions

Tony, you hear that because very few in the U.S. have ever seen a 40" Mouflon Ram, once they get to 38" or bigger, they have to grow somewhere!

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/01/14 12:13 AM

This was My Main Breeder Ram for 3 Years, he was 40" X 41.25" at 5 Years of Age "MegaMax"
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/01/14 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Hilonesome

This was My Main Breeder Ram for 3 Years, he was 40" X 41.25" at 5 Years of Age "MegaMax"

Holy CRAP!!! He's a HOSS!
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/01/14 02:13 AM

Hilonesome,

I have seem MegaMax (pics and video) ...Great looking ram. I think Mouflons are one of the better looking wild sheep and had seen several photos of European Mouflons from Europe that had the curl go up and out. I think I even recall on one of the forums someone claiming that a ram wasn't a pure breed Mouflon because the tip of the curl came out past the width of the main horn...as I recall you may have actually commented on that Thread.

Anyway, Mouflons are a really handsome sheep and MegaMax is one heck of a ram.

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/01/14 02:41 AM

Thanks Tony, if I'm not mistaken R.O.E and S.C.I. both state that in order to classify as Pure Mouflon, the Horn Tips can not be the Widest part of the Horn...Except under Special Circumstances. My guess is that they leave it open in the case that the Ram may meet ALL other Criteria?? the way I look at it is like a Coil Spring, no matter how far you stretch it, each Coil maintains the same Radius as the next, you see a lot of Pics of Mouflon in Europe that "Flare out" too quick (once they turn up, seems the radius gets tighter) always makes me Wonder....at the very least I consider them "Undesireable"
Posted By: don k

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/01/14 12:04 PM

Great looking ram Hilonesome.
Posted By: Kobus

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/01/14 05:33 PM

He's a beauty! smile

How did his offspring turn out from his genes?

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/02/14 02:14 AM

Thanks Guys, Rickey Hunt raised him, a lot of His Son's look just like him, never kept one past 3 Yrs of age, here is a 3 yr old that measured 35.5"

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/02/14 02:18 AM

Thanks Guys, Rickey Hunt raised him, a lot of His Son's look just like him, never kept one past 3 Yrs of age, here is a 3 yr old that measured 35.5"

question:

what would a ram like that go for, alive?

to start a breeding herd to turn loose on say, 250 acres, how many rams/ewes would you need and what would be the approx. cost?

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/02/14 02:31 AM

txtrophy85, once they reach 34"-35" I get around $100 per inch, Hard for me to answer the other Question, need to consider the Terrain, Rough, Rocky, etc. sell more Mouflon that go in Breeding Pens than Large Acreage, I think one Ram per 10-15 Ewes if Pasture is Rugged, wish I could give you a better Answer! on cost, we get $400 for Females, young Rams up to 29" are $55 per inch.....
Posted By: Rickey Hunt

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/02/14 05:59 PM

That is a great 3 year old!!1
Posted By: TB338

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/03/14 01:48 AM

Beautiful Rams !, I wished I live in Texas so I could raise a few on my place.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/06/14 08:34 PM

cheers

Re: Sheep hunters dream - 10/07/14 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Stagman1

Beautiful Rams !, I wished I live in Texas so I could raise a few on my place.

If you want to move I have a place....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum