Texas Hunting Forum

Waterbuck trophy animal

Posted By: WLR Hunter

Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/26/14 01:41 PM

Hello folks,

We have a lot of exotics that are good trophy size this season - this waterbuck is one of my personal favorites. This week we snagged these two great pics before he took off running. He's estimated at 6-7 years with great distinct markings.

Info about our place: We're located in Erath County southwest of DFW, home to a dozen exotic species covering 4750 acres. Our long term objective here has been to build completely self sustaining large breeding herds of each species we carry with minimal intervention - other than to plant a few hundred acres of wheat (we have a zero bag feeding policy). We work hard to bring the innate beauty of the African antelope to the Texan hunter in as natural a setting as is possible to achieve on a large high fenced reserve.

Trophy price for this guy is 5K.

Posted By: Kobus

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/26/14 01:47 PM

Wow, great looking waterbuck! Beautiful coat on him!
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/26/14 02:06 PM

Awesome looking buck! They are beautiful.
Posted By: JKC

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/26/14 02:09 PM

great looking animal!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/26/14 02:11 PM

Very nice. Beautiful dark coat for a waterbuck.

WLR, I have been following yall's place for a couple years now, sounds amazing. Looking forward to a time when I can come visit and see all your hard work in person.

Best of luck this season.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/26/14 03:21 PM

Beautiful animal at a good price!!! Thanks for posting the photos!!
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/27/14 12:47 AM

Love waterbuck!!! I shot mine in Namibia and think he looks like some sort of king on the wall. They just have that look to them.

Thanks for sharing, that's a great pic.

Eddie
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/27/14 02:00 AM

He is beautiful .love that short dark coat. how many inches do you think he is ? Forrest
Posted By: the lab

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/27/14 07:21 AM

How are these for table fare? And how much does a big buck like that weigh?
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/27/14 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowhunt Only
Awesome looking buck! They are beautiful.

up
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/27/14 01:37 PM

A buddy of mine that killed one in South Africa said that his stunk worse than any Aoudad he's ever killed. The bull made a beautiful mount though. I photographed a couple young bulls last summer near Uvalde and they looked to be about 250-300lbs on the hoof! Baker
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/27/14 01:58 PM

Size - 50 inches at the shoulder
Weight - 330 to 500 pounds

Meat takes on an unpleasant odor and you must be very careful skinning the as the hide has a oil on it that smells terrible, if it touches the meat or your hands go from hide to meat it will taste even worse than it smells
Posted By: Kobus

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/27/14 03:39 PM

The waterbuck I killed didn't smell too bad, but the smell of him didn't get off my hands for at least a week or two.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/28/14 01:50 AM

Tracker's and Skinner's.... No smell lol35

Beautiful Picture up

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/28/14 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the comments! Eddiewalker - that's a good description "King on the wall" as I think they do have a regal look to them. This guys markings are so distinct which makes him a great example of the species.

We put this animal at 450-500lb perhaps slightly more as he is very full bodied. And yes, one has to be careful when skinning not to allow the coat to come into contact with the flesh because of those strong smelling oil glands. (Correct skinning requires two skinners, one to do the knife work and the other to hold the skin. The person who is pulling back the skin should not touch the meat and both should wash their hands regularly) That oil forms a waterproof layer around the hair and protects the skin when the waterbuck enters water as they are often found in water rich environments. (Its been reported that crocodile and lion have avoided preying on waterbuck because of their unpleasant smell).

TxAg - thanks for the wishes. We get a big kick out of giving folks the "50c tour" of the place so we're always happy to show fellow hunters what we're doing out here.

I believe I have shared this pic taken early in the year on here already but I'll throw it up again - it's a goodie
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/28/14 06:20 PM

Those are sure some beautiful animals.
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/28/14 09:17 PM

I've booked a Jan hunt with WLR and they have been great to work with with exceptional critters..can't wait to get there.
okiehuntr
Posted By: TB338

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/28/14 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: okiehuntr
I've booked a Jan hunt with WLR and they have been great to work with with exceptional critters..can't wait to get there.
okiehuntr

What are you hunting?

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/29/14 03:48 AM

WLR Hunter, how many inches tall(horns) do you think the waterbuck in the first picture is? Forrest
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/29/14 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Drahthaar
WLR Hunter, how many inches tall(horns) do you think the waterbuck in the first picture is? Forrest

He looks 25-26" to me...

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/29/14 03:35 PM

Wade's right - Mike has him estimated at 26".

Re: Waterbuck trophy animal - 09/30/14 01:21 AM

ok thanks Forrest
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum