Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for elk outfitter

Posted By: campbell9997

Looking for elk outfitter - 09/25/14 08:38 PM

Anyone have a recomendation for an elk outfitter in colorado?
Posted By: rwtrapper

Re: Looking for elk outfitter - 09/26/14 12:50 AM

Bob Luna
Colorado Hunting Expeditions
Delores, Colorado.

I know a half dozen people who have hunted with him. All have excellent reports. I have a combo elk/mule deer hunt booked in November. After that, I will be able to give you first hand info. But I have met him and he is am upstanding guy.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Looking for elk outfitter - 09/26/14 01:34 PM

I would avoid the Steamboat Springs area and Mt Zirkel Wilderness area. I forget who I used, and it was a few years ago, but the entire area was overrun with four wheelers up to the edge of the Wilderness and all along its boundary. We where packed in with horse ten miles into the Wilderness to get away from all of the other hunters, which worked. We never saw anybody else while hunting there for a week. The deer where just gone. Nobody saw a single deer. We did see elk every day and two of us shot 5x5's. Mine just walked right to me with a couple of cows after watching them feed in a valley all morning. I guess I picked the spot where they wanted to bed down. After we got back to town with everything packed out, I was shocked to see how excited everyone was to see our racks. If mine hadn't walked within 40 yards of me, I would have let him go. He wasn't a very big 5 point, but too much of a gift to pass on. From what the locals where saying, nobody had seen bulls that big in years. If I shot one of the bigger bulls in that area, then it seems to me it's extremely overhunted and not someplace I want to go back to.

If I was looking in CO, I would be very hesitant to hunt on any public land there. Too many people for my taste. A private ranch that limits the number of hunters and has enough land to let the animals mature is what I'd want.

Good luck,
Eddie
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum