Texas Hunting Forum

Which Hunt to Take in 2015?

Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/13/14 06:23 AM

So I have the chance to book 1 of 2 hunts for Fall 2015. I'm having trouble making up my mind. Either way it will be an archery hunt. The choices are Bison in British Columbia, hunting one of the last remaining free range herds in North America. -OR- Muskox up in the Northwest Territories. I've always wanted a Muskox. The Muskox hunt is a bit cheaper, but I haven't checked airfare yet. That may about even it out. I really want to hunt free range Bison too. Bison is high on my list of hunts!

So which would YOU do?
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/13/14 02:44 PM

I would say bison...but wouldn't want to hunt one unless I could keep ALL the meat....too good to waste, my wife shot one last year on a high fence place and we no longer ever buy beef except for the occasional ribeye.
Posted By: ancuegar

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/13/14 02:54 PM

Musk ox be cooler. I don't know any one that has shot a musk ox!
Posted By: bghunter3

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/13/14 02:56 PM

I got an e mail about a cancellation polar bear hunt and they said to plan on around 2500 for airfare. With that said the cost to get meat cape and hide home from bc will not be cheap.

My choice would be bison, but that has been a dream hunt for me my whole life
Posted By: TCB

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/13/14 09:28 PM

Personally neither hold a ton of interest for me. Not knowing what you've already hunted for, I might do a combo hunt in Argentina for stag, fallow, blackbuck, birds, etc.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/14/14 12:48 AM

I've always wanted to hunt a buffalo but if I had a chance to hunt Musk Ox I sure would not pass on it. Good Luck with whatever you choose! Baker

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/14/14 02:43 AM

Thanks TCB. I was fortunate to hunt in Argentina about 8 years ago. I had a great time and a great hunt!
Posted By: colonel62

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/14/14 04:14 PM

Bowhunt Only,
I just got back from my muskox hunt 3 weeks ago. It was quite an adventure. I did wanna give you a heads up though. The muskox numbers on Victoria island are way down. Some guys were talking about a big die off up there. My dad and I only saw 2 bulls and 5 cows. We shot the only two bulls we saw. Another guy in camp had to ride 250 miles on an atv (over very rough terrain) before he found one. Pm me if you want specific details.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/14/14 04:23 PM

I voted Musk Ox. I can get bison down here. The adventure for bison up north on different terrain would be entertaining to do but I think hunting in the tundra for Musk Ox is something I would like to do and very different than what I do down here. If I could get on a Woods bison that may very well interest me even more. But on the wall a Musk Ox is what I would appreciate better I think.

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/14/14 04:41 PM

Okay, I can see that y'all are having the same trouble I've been having! grin

The score on the poll is 8 Bison to 8 Musk Ox, with 2 voting Other!!! No wonder I've been having a such a hard time making up my mind!
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/14/14 07:46 PM

180 Class or better: free range, non guided/self scouted, bow hunted and bonus for public land Whitetail any day, all day. Nothing even comes close.

I do like to go other places and experience different hunts, so don't get me wrong.

Better put me down for the Bison because I don't like going to the Artic and freezing!

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/17/14 03:59 PM

get crazy and do africa! we going in 2016. i do have a safari i may sell for 2015 for plains game. just saying...
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/17/14 04:25 PM

Have you shot a black bear yet? I never had interest in shooting one until I saw some on our place this year. After shooting one a couple weeks ago, I am addicted to bear hunting.
Posted By: TomPr

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/17/14 04:48 PM

I'll vote muskox, since bison opportunity is more common. Both sound like a great hunt for sure.
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/18/14 12:54 AM

Africa!

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/18/14 01:07 AM

I appreciate the Africa votes, and Africa is still on my list, but I've already been to South Africa twice. It's a low physical hunt so I can do that again when I'm older (I'm pretty old already), so looking for more challenging hunts right now while I'm still able to go. And by challenging, I don't mean Mountain Goat hunting. That's a bit TOO challenging for me! smile

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/18/14 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: jensent
Have you shot a black bear yet? I never had interest in shooting one until I saw some on our place this year. After shooting one a couple weeks ago, I am addicted to bear hunting.

I haven't been bear hunting yet. That's something I need to do for sure.
Posted By: Mwhuntfish

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/18/14 01:22 AM

Musk ox are a cool trophy-the pelt is unbelievable. Outdoor channel just had Jim Shockey hunting them. His partner took his with rifle, Shockey got his with bow. Tough hunt and unbelievably cold conditions. It could definitely be a challenge if that is what your looking for. Good luck with whichever you choose.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/18/14 01:51 AM

I've shot B&C animals of both species. The bison hunt will be as easy as the easiest Texas pen hunt.

Now, the muskox hunt is a different experience altogether. Skip Victoria Island and hunt the mainland out of Kugluktuk. Also, plan your hunt for late March, 2015, rather than the fall. The pelt will be much nicer and the experience of hunting in temps at below minus 30 will be something to tell your grandchildren.

The best muskox hunting in the world is out of Kugluktuk. Conversely, the best bison hunting is either in the Teton country of Wyoming, south of Yellowstone....or Custer State Park in South Dakota. Both of these are draw hunts, but check the B&C book for verification.
Posted By: cprince

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/18/14 02:23 AM

black bear, elk...

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 09/18/14 11:10 AM

well heck if you done did africa twice take up golf!! my vote is still for musk ox:)
Posted By: Erny

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 10/07/14 03:10 AM

I think it's a no brainier. If the cost is the same Musk ox!
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 10/07/14 03:43 AM

I really enjoyed my muskox adventure.

Temps -30 below,
Watching my breath turn to ice crystals then slowly falling to the ground,
Ice on my eyelashes....
Seeing locals fishing over an ice hole at day break while fox stood around hoping for a treat.
Riding on a sled across the frozen tundra while a herd of Perry Caribou ran parallel (looked like reindeer training for Santa's yearly flight)
Gladly giving the meat because it first goes to the elderly within the community.
Wearing my (Herman Munster) boots which kept my feet as warm as toast.
Learning you can stay warm even at minus 30.

Back in the old days I took (2) muskox bulls and a Caribou on one trip.

Memories for a lifetime.

Good luck, just enjoy the adventure.

Posted By: H-Town Hunter

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 10/07/14 08:40 AM

well with whatever you decide on i think i can speak for everyone here. We want updates! Show us what you decided on and your trophy plz. Good luck to you!
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 10/08/14 04:45 PM

I would go for the muskox for the simple reason that I know of a couple a free range herds of buffalo and so in would be easier to go on a buffalo hunt than a muskox hunt.
Posted By: Da-MOON

Re: Which Hunt to Take in 2015? - 10/12/14 03:42 PM

I voted Muskox. Just a personal preference.... The little I know about both animals, Muskox seems like more of an adventure.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum