Texas Hunting Forum

Low fence Axis buck takin down

Posted By: Anytimeoutdoors1

Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/25/14 06:07 AM

I was working in the front yard loading my truck to leave for a gig. And movement caught my eye to my right.I looked to see this Axis buck staring at me 50 yards away. As we both stood dumbfounded I decided to make a move slowly as normal back inside for my .22 hornet as I came back outside to see him still watching my every move I believe he saw the rifle and bolted towards the back behind the barn. I sprinted to cut him off and did several times. he never stood still and bolted back and forth for 20 mins We played cat and mouse then. I held up when he bolted and 2 mins later he came back and finally as he stopped I took a knee and at 87 yards neck shot he flipped and fell with only front legs working flopping around I gave him one more neck shot and he crumpled.
I also think this was a buck I called back and forth rutting call with it for 30 mins nite before as he got closer then went silent. After an hour of waiting I gave up. This buck was less than 50 yards from were I was calling from last nite. Makes me believe he found the place he was looking for but not what he was expecting the axis are rutting in the hill country at the moment. I called to another buck at my place in rocksprings recently and he showed up 3 hours later after going silent also. I was 20 mins late to the blind that morning as he passed. At 604 am.

This buck I took had
29 3/4" antlers
5 3/4" bases.
10 1/2" brow
13 3/4" brow
Weighed 275#s

Mighty tasty adversary indeed...
Posted By: bradyf

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/25/14 10:31 AM

Nice looking deer.
Posted By: JKC

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/25/14 02:20 PM

cheers
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/25/14 03:25 PM

banana Sweet Stuff right there!
Ron
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/26/14 12:59 AM

Great story!
Posted By: bow-man

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/26/14 03:22 PM

up
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/26/14 08:47 PM

Well done sir!!

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/27/14 04:36 AM

Thanks fellas. A trophy of a lifetime to me for sure.....
Posted By: bside

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/27/14 02:17 PM

very nice work. Axis sure are tasty too.

I don't want to start a flame war, but why .22 hornet?
Posted By: ancuegar

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/27/14 03:18 PM

prolly the closest gun available for action! awesome deer!

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/27/14 04:01 PM

Yes it was the closest gun available. But I also am a strong believer in shot placement over comes high power any day IMO. A .22 hornet is a devistating round for it size and packs a big punch for such a small caliber. Even with a buck that big his spine was disintegrated on impact and the rounds are fragmenting and don't pass thru. I'm on 20 acres with a nieghboring house on 2 sides a main road on one side and back neighbors have a zillion longhorns they run on a huge ranch. I don't want any stray bullets flying around. .22 hornet even if u miss first twig it hits it fragments on impact with no strays and doesn't pass thru a deer neck either.
It's a big challenge to take deer with a hornet have to get up close and personal with the animals. Just like bow hunting. But still flat shooting enough to take a deer at over 150 yards. I got an axis doe not long ago at 167 yards neck shot. Doe Dropped like a sack of potatoes. I enjoy small caliber hunting almost as much as I do bow hunting.
Hell I'd hunt with a stick and rock of I had to. LOL
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/27/14 06:52 PM

Nice buck, well done sir. Baker
Posted By: pickaspot

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 08/27/14 08:03 PM

Nice Axis! In regard to the 22 Hornet, I have harvested many whitetail with this round. X2 on shot placement.
Posted By: BChambers

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 09/13/14 11:09 PM

Congrats Eddie-beautiful buck! Looking forward to our fishing trip in a couple weeks.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Low fence Axis buck takin down - 09/13/14 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: JKC
cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum