Texas Hunting Forum

Cape Buffalo

Posted By: justin7-11

Cape Buffalo - 08/21/14 09:10 PM

Would it be possible to purchase cape buffalo embryos from one of the buffalo breeding operations in South Africa and implant into surrogate mothers such as a water buffalo here in the states? Just trying to settle a debate with a buddy but we could not find any info on the web about such attempts.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/21/14 10:17 PM

Sounds like a hell of a conversation grill
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/22/14 02:09 PM

Certainly sounds interesting...
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/22/14 03:45 PM

You mean an AI program with girls like this? It would probably work!

Baker

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/23/14 03:53 AM

Are those at OX Ranch Elkhunter?
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/23/14 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
Are those at OX Ranch Elkhunter?

Yes they are! They probably have 30 head or so. They have 2 different groups that stay mostly on 2 different sides of the ranch. It's cool to see them in the river with only their noses sticking up!!
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/23/14 06:22 PM

Technologically possible would be yes, but I believe that there are some dangerous game laws ,that would prohibit you from doing it.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/23/14 06:37 PM

There must be a way around the laws, because there are Cape Buffalo in Texas.

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/24/14 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
Technologically possible would be yes, but I believe that there are some dangerous game laws ,that would prohibit you from doing it.

Dangerous Game laws do not apply to Cape Buffalo in Texas.

From the TPWD website....

"Canned Hunts" (Dangerous Wild Animals)
No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed, nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.

Source: http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Cape Buffalo - 08/24/14 10:40 PM

I knew the law existed but didn't remember the prohibited list. So I guess you'd be good to go with any of the bovine species.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum