Texas Hunting Forum

Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders?

Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/20/14 01:05 AM

I've read the stories about how elusive and wary the Nilgai is. Great hearing, eyesight, 6th sense. But do they ever come to Feeders or hit a water source regularly?

I'm wondering the best way to hunt one of these with a bow.
Posted By: Ajavelina

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/20/14 07:55 PM

Yep they come to water and I've seen some hit protein feeders.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/20/14 08:06 PM

Ive heard both ways smarter than deer with equal senses and dumber than a cow deaf blind and their nose don't work. Personally never laid eyes on one.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/20/14 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Ive heard both ways smarter than deer with equal senses and dumber than a cow deaf blind and their nose don't work. Personally never laid eyes on one.

Much smarter than deer and not even in the same ballpark as a cow
Posted By: cmc

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/21/14 02:28 AM

I've seen em at feeders more than once
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/21/14 11:48 AM

Never hunted them but have heard from several guides the best place to arrow a Nilgia is at a dung pile. Seems they have a habit of going to the same place to take a crap. Of course that requires finding said location. At least that is what a hunter that gets one every year, and a couple guides have told me.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/21/14 01:23 PM

They will come to water. Never personally seen one hit a feeder.

The dung pile strategy can work, but bulls may only re-visit those piles every ~3 days or so. They will have multiple piles that they work.
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/21/14 02:06 PM

Good information, thanks! I never thought about the dung piles. That has possibilities!
Posted By: DSO STX

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/25/14 07:13 PM

Nilgai are interesting animals, I have hunted them all my life and have never seen them go to a protein feeders or corn feeders in a free range or wild high fence setting. The only time I have seen them feed at protein feeders and corn feeders are if they were brought up in pens and taught to eat from them. They are elusive, fast, hard, and sometimes frustrating animals to hunt. They yield a bunch of meat and taste pretty dang good as well. So if anyone is ever interested in hunting them, give me a shout and I will get ya fixed up on a hunt!

Cody Phillips
Double Shot Outfitters
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/26/14 12:11 AM

What cody says. I have chased them on the king for years and I can tell you they are super tough super fast and super tasty. If you are down south close to the king or kennedy ranch you should try and also fish baffin bay if you would like some big red fish.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/26/14 12:15 AM

I would camp out at a water hole.
Posted By: Codfish

Re: Do Nilgai Ever Come to Feeders? - 08/26/14 04:17 AM

I have never gotten a picture of them eating at our corn or protein feeders.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum