Texas Hunting Forum

Headed to South Africa!

Posted By: Cody Malone

Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 08:05 AM

Flight leaves Monday morning at 12:35!! All packed and ready, staying 7-10 days depending on success.

Harvest list is a Kudu, Impalla x2, Gemsbok, Warthog x2-3, Waterbok, Zebra & Bush pig. (Some will be rifle some will be bow) we will also do some predator and wing shooting. I'd love a stinkin Eurasian Widgeon!

Haven't slept well for three days and was down with a serious cold for three. I'm so jacked up I just can't stop imagining what it's going to be like hence why I'm up at 3am..

Hunting with Kobus's at Hunters Creek Safaris, may hunt several different places as they operate their own helicopter. I guided Kobus on a whitetail hunt a few days before the DSC show last year and he harvested a sweet 165" buck! He twisted my arm to come, didn't take much, lol. He is wanting me to experience the whole thing and is interested in booking some safaris, working shows and other possibilities as well as kill another whitetail in the next season or two. So it's a win win!

Flying from Dallas to Atlanta, 3hr layover then to JHB (Johannesburg). On the way back I go from Johannesburg to Paris 6hr layover then to Atlanta, 3 hour layover then to Dallas. Both of the long flights will be at night and I will drink a few beverages to sleep on the flight. I have never flown international other than Mexico once.

Not taking a gun or bow to save a little money and time in customs.

Weather is low 40s at night mid 70s during day. Wind predicted 6-15 mph most of the trip and just a few scattered rain showers.

He has a hunter coming in to hunt an elephant while I'm there so I will be filming that hunt, should be awesome!

CLOTHES PACKED (they wash daily so no need to over pack)
2 pair of jeans
2 carhart long sleeve safari shirts
1 pair cowboy boots
1 UA vest
2 pair of wool socks
2 pair light socks
2 pair boxers
1 pearl snap button up
1 pair of sleep pants
1 casual SS shirt
1 casual LS shirt
Light Camo UA jacket
Heavy Camo UA jacket
Baseball cap
Beanie
Camo Buff face mask
Heavy fleece face mask
Leather ranch gloves

MISC PACKED
Back up pair of sunglasses
2 extra pair of contacts
Shampoos
Deodorant
Razor
Clippers
Band aids
Gatoraid mix

GEAR PACKED
Passport
10x42 gold ring Leupold on harness with lens cloth
Rigid Halo flashlight with charger and battery's
Canon XH-A1s video camera with charge and battery
Tripod for cameras
1 go pro, spare battery and charger
Canon Rebel camera with extended lens with spare battery and charger
Power inverter 220-110
S.Africa plug adapter
Cell phone and iPad with chargers
1 Moultrie game camera
Extra SD cards
Sd card readers
****Camo backpack for hunting, also my carry on for valuables above and 1 set of clothes in case luggage is misplaced

For you curious minds on the money portion if you paid retail. Remember it's one of those things you all dream about and is not all paid at once, it can be broken up over a year or two so don't let it frighten you. You can also use a credit card and payoff over a few years if it's low interest. There are LOTS of variables. I'm a full time guide, my wife doesn't work & we have a 2.5 yo lil girl to so if I can do it anyone can.

* Flight - $1450-$1850 (depends if I change for a few added days there)(watched expedia for three months)
* Safari - $6-$12000 (depending on harvest)
* Tipping - $800 (ph/cook/cleaning/tracker/skinner)
* Shipping of trophies - $1800-$3000 (dip n ship to states)
* Taxidermy - $6500 (skull warthog x2, shoulder warthog, skull bush pig, pedestal Zebra, pedestal kudu, oryx and waterbuk together, shoulder Impala together) I'll be doing them in two sets to split cost

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 08:06 AM

Zebra Prdiatal - single drinking with hide on pediatal

Impala Pair (minus baboon skull)

Warthog Skull Pair

Gemsbok, Kudu & Waterbuk Trio - (set up like this)

Warthog Shoulder

Bushpig Skull

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 08:10 AM

Zebra

Waterbuk

Gemsbok/Oryx

Kudu

Impala

Warthog

Bushpig

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 08:35 AM

Varmints

Jackall

Caracal

Genet Cat

Serval

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 09:02 AM

Birds
Guineafowl: May - September
Egyptian Geese: February - September
Spurwing Geese: March - September
Ducks: May - August;

Red- Billed Teal

Fulvous Whistling Duck

African Pygmy Goose
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 10:28 AM

Good luck Cody, have fun!
Posted By: MSU

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 11:27 AM

Great write up Cody, I like how you broke everything out. Makes it seem more realistic. Good luck
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 11:58 AM

Thanks for all the information. Good Luck and I hope your trip exceeds you all your expectations!!!! I can't wait to see the photos from your trip. Safe Travels, Baker
Posted By: Tux Man

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 12:15 PM

Especially appreciate the cost breakdown.
I've NEVER been able to get someone to give me a solid answer on tipping.
Had also wondered about taxidermy/shipping.
I just returned from Africa on a mission trip. We went on both a land & river photo safari. My daughter was teasing me- said I looked like I wanted to throw a spear at Cape Buffs. Was tough to be there & not hunt.
Looks like about $24k.
Posted By: G ranch

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 01:17 PM

Good luck Cody sounds like a great trip and great time
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 01:24 PM

Have a safe and wonderful trip.
Posted By: ramslam

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 02:29 PM

Cody,
I just returned from Africa myself. A couple of things to add to the list. First sunscreen and lotion. There is no humidity there and the desert sun gets warm. I never use either in the states, but needed both there. Also, if you like good whiskey, buy some in the Jo'Berg airport before you leave it. You will not find much of a variety at liquor stores there and may not be much in camp. Other than that, sounds like you are ready to rock. Shoot straight and have a big time. Plus, start saving again because you will want to go back. Ha Ha
Posted By: phantom

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 04:34 PM

Good luck I have been there 4 times and want to go again.
Posted By: the lab

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/15/14 06:23 PM

Good luck buddy. I hope it is everything you are hoping for and more. Can't wait to see some pics.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 12:38 AM

Thanks all, still excited as a kid in a candy store

Packing everyday does not help fight the excitement of the trip

Kobus is getting really excited as per my excitement and he said I only get 1 box of bullets bc he doesn't want me to go broke lol

I'm headed to the TTHA show tomorrow afternoon then staying the night in Dallas so tonight will be the last night in my own bed. That's a huge step for this journey to begin
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 02:12 AM

I just got back today from RSA myself and am jet-lagged as all get-out. I would also say that your tip allowance is a little low by maybe 50%, but tipping is certainly an individual pursuit. Consider buying a carton of cigarettes at the tobacco store when you arrive at JNB. Most trackers, skinners, and staff smoke and will appreciate a pack of cancer sticks every other day or so. The brand, Peter Stuyvesant "red", seems to be very popular.

As for alcohol, go South African......Castle beer, of course, and RSA is known for their top-quality wine industry. Red shiraz and cabernets are uniformly excellent, and don't forget the pinotage wines, a blend unique to South Africa that really goes well with all the wild game you'll be consuming.

When in Rome (or RSA), do as the Romans do, ya know.
Posted By: SheepHunter

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 02:28 AM

It will be a trip of a lifetime or 2 or 3....Enjoy every minute. Look forward to your updates. Good Luck

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 02:42 AM

Dawaba

I'm taking my PH a bottle of his favorite whiskey and some gifts for his family, 2 boys and wife.

I already got two cartons of smokes for everyone. He suggested I bring US flavors

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 02:43 AM

Eric,

You should come with me next August! Looking like I may be there all of August with clients
Posted By: Circle NA Ranch

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 04:49 AM

Good luck and safe travels! I'm looking forward to your pix and hunt story!
Diane

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 04:58 AM

I will try my best on a neat wright up. And can guarantee lots of photos and possibly some awesome video
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 01:24 PM

You get all your shots?

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat
You get all your shots?

No shots needed for where I'm headed. Most other places you need malaria, yellow fever etc.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 02:52 PM

24 hours until I get to be at the airport
Posted By: BossHawg2012

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/17/14 05:33 PM

Good luck man! cant wait to see pics!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/18/14 01:35 AM

12 hours away boys.. My trigger finger is getting really itchy
Posted By: Circle NA Ranch

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/18/14 02:12 AM

You are cracking me up Cody Malone! You're not excited on bit are you??? banana

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/18/14 02:37 AM

Aw just a lil Diane

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/18/14 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
12 hours away boys.. My trigger finger is getting really itchy

I'd be just like Cody if given the chance. I don't believe I could sleep for at least several nights before I left. Heck I can't sleep the night before I go on a hunt here in Texas!!!!! Good Luck Brother and I'll say a quick prayer for your safe return! Baker

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/18/14 07:45 PM

Wheels down in ATL fellas

3 hour lay over then the real flight arrives. 20 hours
Posted By: Erny

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 02:30 AM

Have I great time!!!!!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
Good luck Cody, have fun!
X2!
Posted By: BMD

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 03:43 AM

It is only 17 from Atlanta smile

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
I just got back today from RSA myself and am jet-lagged as all get-out. I would also say that your tip allowance is a little low by maybe 50%, but tipping is certainly an individual pursuit. Consider buying a carton of cigarettes at the tobacco store when you arrive at JNB. Most trackers, skinners, and staff smoke and will appreciate a pack of cancer sticks every other day or so. The brand, Peter Stuyvesant "red", seems to be very popular.

As for alcohol, go South African......Castle beer, of course, and RSA is known for their top-quality wine industry. Red shiraz and cabernets are uniformly excellent, and don't forget the pinotage wines, a blend unique to South Africa that really goes well with all the wild game you'll be consuming.

My tip was more $1600 range $1k to ph, $200 tracker, $400 staff. Also trackers love jolly ranchers and socks, I also spent $2500 at taxi getting ready to ship and will spend at "least $2k more to get it back and then taxi bill will be more in 10k range but I have a girraffe
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: dawaba

My tip was more $1600 range $1k to ph, $200 tracker, $400 staff. Also trackers love jolly ranchers and socks, I also spent $2500 at taxi getting ready to ship and will spend at "least $2k more to get it back and then taxi bill will be more in 10k range but I have a girraffe

dang that's a lot of dough to get your mounts back over here.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 02:02 PM

I wouldn't go if I didn't get animals back but you can easily go again on just the cost of shipping and taxidermy. Some guys like cull hunts and don't bring anything back and some just take good pics and that's it. I know after about the fifth trip my uncle went on he quit bringing anything back, he just wanted to go as much as possible.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 02:43 PM

I just landed in Joburg

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 03:16 PM

Breathing air on the Dark Continent...... Thats awesome

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/19/14 06:00 PM

I just landed in Joburg

It is awesome you will love it. Where you staying tonight.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 12:50 AM

It is only 17 from Atlanta smile

We actually made it in 15!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
Breathing air on the Dark Continent...... Thats awesome

Joburg is much different than I expected

What I was expecting came about 2 hours from there. big trophy animals right off road

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 12:52 AM

I just landed in Joburg

It is awesome you will love it. Where you staying tonight.

We are at the concession in a lodge.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 12:56 AM

Be safe and have a great time.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 01:19 AM

I will be hunting two animals I wasn't expecting, super excited

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 04:36 PM

Two great impala and a giant bushbuck hit the ground
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 04:46 PM

Damn Cody....you're not wasting any time!!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 05:04 PM

Where da pics?

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 05:38 PM

I would love to see a pic of the bushbuck!!!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 06:37 PM

He's knocking em down according to reports

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 07:01 PM

My wifi isn't good enough to download photos to photo bucket.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 07:33 PM

Day 1

Whew, what a day... Reminds me of planes trains and automobiles, as I took a ride in em all today.

I started my day at Dallas Love Field at 10am, my first flight was to depart at 12:32. I had a camera backpack, carry-on and a huge pelican box full of clothes and miscellaneous. Like all airlines Delta has a 50 pound weight limit per beg which of corse I knew of and thought I was under, wrong... 57 pounds. I take a few clothing items and put into my carry on getting it down to 49, Disaster adverted.

I board the plane and have a non eventful flight to Atlanta, Ga. Now since I have only flown three or four times I was prepared to be wondering around aimlessly for an hour so I'd have an hour and a half to spare as my main flight to Johannesburg as it didn't depart until 7:12 pm. I hop on the train and get to my terminal and find the correct boarding gate without any trouble. So now I have several hours to wait, no big deal as I will just grab a bite to eat and pick up a few gifts for Kobus and his wife. After tackling that I went and found an available power plug and charged my phone, iPad etc after getting all checked in at the boarding gate to verify my passport and ticket.

We board a few minutes early which was a surprise. I find and get into my isle seat but there's no one else in my row, I think to myself surely not as this plane is packed like a sardine can. Sure enough ten minutes later the say they are closing the boarding door and will be taxing out to the runway very shortly. I am dumbfounded and excited that I have a whole row to myself for this 15 hour flight. The flight was quite pleasant other than the food that left much to be desired and quite honestly gave me gas like I have never experienced, luckily no one was around. I watched a few complementary movies and watched the sun set over the ocean and shortly there after decided to get some shut eye.

I was awaken by some turbulence and of course thought "that's it we are going down".. I open the window to see its pitch black and my wing is still attached to the plane so I'm feeling a little better but there is a lightning storm under us which is the culprit of the turbulence. It was quite exquisite to watch at 35,000 feet while doing 550 miles per hour. I decide to take out the camera and try to film some of it to share when I get home. I sleep off and on for the next 9 hours, never falling into a deep sleep like expected. I wake up and check the flight arrival time via small screen on the seat in front of mine, 6 more hours.. I watch the sun break the horizon snapping a few photographs and decide to sleep some more and make it count. The pilot makes an announcement that we will begin our decent into Joburg and will be arriving a few minutes early thanks to a 50 mile per hour tailwind the last few hours. We land softly and now it's time to get my passport checked, it only had a three mile long line. I get through it and go pick up my luggage, round the corner and bam Kobus waves as I am walking through the doorway.

We great each other and he introduces me to Mack, his fellow. We head out to the car after having a much needed smoke break. Now it's time for the 4.5 hour truck ride to the concession near Botswana. We stop to fill up the truck and grab a bite to eat at a fast food joint which was pretty good! On the way it starts getting dark and we start seeing game; Kudu, Cape buffalo, Eland, Gemsbok and Springbok mainly but a few Jackall and cats as well.

We are discussing different things about Africa and what animals I would like to hunt. The plan was Kudu, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Zebra, Impala and Warthog but that changed quickly when Kobus mentions his neighbor has an old Giraffe Bull that has been by itself lately they want to harvest.. I agree to take a few hunts and try to make him topple like a crane, it is 16-2000 pounds while standing 15-19 feet tall. Then he says what else would you consider hunting that's not on our current list? I jokingly say what about a lioness? We talk a little business and decide hell why not. They are possibly going to have some major import laws take effect in the next year or so so it's kind of a now or never. Most people don't realize a lioness is more aggressive than a male lion and is three times the size of a cougar. A poor shot on a lion could obviously be very bad for me and my PHs life.

Now if you have been following my african safari is taking a turn... A turn from great hunt to a super great hunt but not quite so for my wallet, laugh out loud. I know I could die any day so why not live life to its fullest, I'm here so let's make it count! I expected for it to happen so I brought a little extra cash

My current game list is as follows..
Kudu
Gemsbok
Blessbok
Waterbuck
Giraffe
Lioness
Zebra X2 (my wife wants a rug and I want a pedestal shoulder so I'll just shoot two)
Impala
Warthog X2
Porcupine
Jackall
And what ever the hell else walks out, it's just money I'll make more! Oh a good note my wife gave me "the go ahead" to harvest two Zebra before I left and loves the giraffe mounts I showed her so that's two disasters I am avoiding. On the other hand we have the lioness, looks like I'll be telling her it charged me and I shot in self defense!

I get settled in to my room after sitting around talking with Kobus & Mack, get everything in order for tomorrow including the cameras because I think I'm gunna need em!

Just woke up from a few hours sleep and can't sleep; jet lag, excitement or disbelieve I'm actually here? I say a lot of em all!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 07:34 PM

Day 2 - Mid Day Report

Wow, what a place! I got up at 5:00 after getting two or three hours sleep. The room was nice and comfortable with a very comfortable bed luckily.

I went out and filmed the horizon as the sun started to break while taking in the sounds of Africa.

We take off to hunters creek to shoot the rifle a bit since it is my PHs. I use a bench first shot, 2" high so we are good. Next come the sticks, first shot 4" high but I was rushing to simulate a quick needed shot. Third shot three inches high. I'm feeling good about the rifle and off we go. We start stalking in a creek bed and make way to a watering hole. We see a Gemsbok cow with a young baby but there is a big bull hidden behind a brush pile. So we stand and wait to see just how big he is and if it is indeed the male we thought with a quick glimpse of his horn mass. As Kobus is locked on I keep my eyes open for dangers such as buffalo as they tend to favor this watering hole. I spot movement and wisper to Kobus, there's something brown at 11 o'clock. We bring our glasses up and I see it's an impala, a big one at that. Kobus agrees so we set up for the shot. He has no idea we are there and he has a few buddies with him but after farther exasperation we see he is the biggest and deserves a dirt nap by a Texas boy! He drops into the creek offering a quick opening at 50 yards and I squeeze one off and while he's falling I instantly chamber another round, but a follow up is not nessisary. As we are letting it have a few minutes to be expired I notice another staring at us a 100 or so yards out, we glass him and decide he is an old buy and would also be a great harvest. I'm sitting with both knees up so I take aim making a good rest while waiting for him to turn for at least a quartering shot, he's figuring out that something is way wrong so he starts to walkin to the bush and I laterally have two steps and he will vanish. Kobus says take him if you can. I wait for him to take one more step with my crosshairs on his last rib and he makes that move, book, the rifle sounds off. I instantly tell Kobus it's a few inches back but should come out mid shoulder on the opposing side. We go and find it dead 45 yards away with that exact shot. Impala number 2 down!

We start off stalking a few herds of oryx but the wind is strong and shift so no good shots are offered. We drive up to a small water while and see a loan oryx and a few warthogs about 220 yards out. One warthog is a brute but disappears quickly. Kobus says we went there specifically for a warthog pushing 13", so that was probably him. We debate shooting one male but decide to pass since it's early.

We decide to drive to another waterhole and start seeing a few animals in shade as it's heating up weather wise. We get to a big rise in the road and dismount. The water hole is right in the other sides so we start taking our time being stealthy. As soon as my head breaks the ridge I see a heard of 20 oryx. A good mixture of bulls and cows. We are classing them and deciding which one to take when the wind changes and they now know we are here. There's are a few warthog mixed in as well, one big female. The oryx walk off and we take chase. They still know we are there and stay moving and clumped up coming in and out of the brush as we are 300 yards out. I twit down and take aim on one and decide I don't want to try a frontal at that distance. As we are working our way up I see a bushbuck and Kobus takes a look and says Cody shoot him it's a giant, biggest I have seen here. I say yes sir, he is in some brush and share so I can't get a good look at his position or a clean shot. He had no idea we we there it know he does. I rush a shot chip shot and he bunches, instantly i chamber and get back on him but his running dead away. We never hear him crash so I'm not happy with my performance. We walk up to where he was and see no sign so I know it's back. Kobus heads back to where the shot originated and as he approaches I hear movement ahead towards where the bushbuck ran. I signal Kobus back over and we hear it again, I zoom out the scope to 3 in preparation for a brush shot. Kobus then sees him flop in a tree fall. I bring the gun up and he not moving. He's done! Liver or not. I was excited to see how large he was but disappointed in my shot. Oh well he's dead and skinned. I won't be rushing anymore chip shots. I'm so used to having lots of time on whitetail and most exotics in Texas plus since I guide I only shoot once a year on an animal other than follow up shots on my customers bucks.

Wears headed out now to shoot the 9.3x65 in preparation for the giraffe and Lioness.

I have been told the lioness will likely charge so I'm going to get some trigger time with a big bore!

We are going to hunt the giraffe tonight so the skinners can skin into the night while it's cold so the meat doesn't spoil.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/20/14 07:35 PM

End of day 2 update

Well they didn't move near as well this evening.

We found a trophy Waterbuck but he slipped away somehow. During the tracking trying to catch up to him a giant warthog, 10-11" tucked male jumped up and I chose to take a low percentage shot through brush. I knew if I hit him he would be fatally wounded, if I pulled the shot even the least bit I would miss. I missed.. Not very common for me to miss or pull shots but those that have been a lot of times you literally have 1-2 seconds to make a choice, follow the front leg up while shouldering and squeeze of a round into center of shoulder. I'm used to having lots of time to study animals and getting good solid rest and stable platforms to harvest them. That don't fly here, lol

I did harvest a sickly warthog, just to put it out of its misery, running shot at 40 yard.

We saw several mid range kudu and gemsbok as well as a group of female giraffes but nothing quite worth harvesting this early.

I also got to sight in a 9.3X64, largest caliber to date I have shot. Handled it well and killed the target 7 times, along with. My shoulder lol. Just gearing it up for the Lioness and Giraffe

We are now sitting at camp, fire going, little mixed drinks and dinner about to be served. Gotta go!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 07:31 AM

Cody's having trouble loading pics so I'm gonna load a few for him and he can load the rest when he can but here are the ones you guys really want to see anyway.

If there's more he wants up now I will surely get them posted.
Must be tough running around shooting all those critters in that cool weather grin

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 10:21 AM

Thanks CMC

Morning 3 Update

What a morning boys! Woke up an hour before my alarm was set to go off so I knew the african gods had something in store, boy was I right. After a two mile stalk we finally found my Giraffe, after he buggered several times I was able to deliver a devastating shot with the 9.3X64 from about 50 years away. He immediately went down where we rushed over and I delivered two shots from the front with the .416. we where able to get the harvest on film and makes for great footage of a spectacular hunt on a wonderful animal.

We are in for the afternoon as it has become unseasonably warm and the animals are hunkered down, we are going to do our first sit at a waterhole this evening as we still lack the kudu, waterbuck, oryx and warthog.

We saw 2 large Kudu this morning but they saw us first. We also spotted a few Steinbeck, one of which was well above his ear but because we knew the giraffe was around we passed so we did not effect our primary goal. We found 1 larger group of gemsbok at a waterhole but they where younger bulls and cows, a few cows where quite nice but they are all full of calves so we are not wanting to take a cow but we have decided if another big cow presents a shot we are going to take her.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 10:27 AM

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 11:37 AM

cheers

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 11:57 AM

Greatness!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 12:49 PM

Just smoked a giant warthog! DRT
Posted By: G ranch

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 01:00 PM

cheers

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 01:19 PM

Thanks for the daily updates and pictures (attaboy, cmc!). I doubt I'll ever get tired of reading about the Dark Continent. Keep 'em coming!

My brother and I just got back Saturday from Africa ourselves.....2 buff, a huge croc, and lots of plains game. I'll post some photos as soon as I get my ducks lined up; I need to sort through over two thousand pictures first.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 01:25 PM

Very nice bushbuck!! That is also a very nice mature giraffe. Great write up keep it coming!
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 02:14 PM

Awesome, soak it in!!
Posted By: TravisMears.com

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 02:14 PM

Great write up. Really enjoying following along. Good Luck.
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 02:25 PM

Keep posting the pics! That giraffe is huge!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 04:00 PM

Maybe I missed it in a previous post, and I see that your medium rifle is the 9.3x64. What did you bring as your primary light rifle for all the PG? And the load too, of course..... Enquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: Wallhanger

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 04:21 PM

aim Congrats great looking animals

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 05:02 PM

I'm sure Cody is busy trying to reduce the wildlife population in all of Africa so here's another to hold y'all over.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 07:04 PM

Thats a big old Porker. Congrats

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 07:27 PM

What an evening!!! Pulled up to our water hole and we instantly see two Cape buffalo drinking with a few oryx. We had planned on sitting here and still hunting all evening as we still needed an oryx, kudu and waterbuck.

We obviously where not going to sit there with Black Death that close around as we didn't get want to get dead, lol

We see a big male oryx behind the buffalo and make a shot through the brush, all I have is a neck shot because it is super thick, I dropped him in his tracks but buffalo went 5 yards and stopped, extremely pissed. We now have a dead animal between us and the buffalo and they are not happy. Mack gets out and they instantly mock charge, two more steps and they will be coming to kill him. I have the. 9.3X64 on the buffalo ready to shoot if need be. We all get out after he takes two steps back and slowly approach the downed oryx. The buffalo are watching 40 yards that in the brush and I have yet to look at my Oryx because lives are at stake, so I keep the rifle on them, ready to deliver the kill shot as the buffalo ready to kill us it if it charges. While retrieving I am on the gun shouldered and ready, they disappear so we thing they are circling coming down wind to decide the treat level and charge if needed so I am turned watching our back. We get it retrieved without incident and take it a few miles away for safety. It's a great bull with great mass. We take photos and the skinners take him to camp to skin.

We are off to another water hole for kudu or waterbuck. We pull up and two nice waterbuck are at the hole but three hundred years away, I set up for a shot, holding a few inches over it's back and shoulder but they spook. We stalk in with no signs and set up behind a brush blind. Ten minutes later we get a call that there are two nice kudu that the scouts have found and Mack is on the way to get us. He arrives and we speed to the hole. We arrive and they are still but a long ways away, they quickly discuss which is bigger and decide the right is a monster, I set up in an awkward position with 250 yards between us, I and squeeze one off, I see it hit the ground behind it and don't hear whack so I reloaded waiting for it to stop running towards the brush, it never slows down into the brush, luckily for me they know the land so we rush to cut him off. Here he comes but is super thick which is what kudu like so it starts feeling comfortable after a few minutes but we can barely see it it so thick. I see a front leg and he stops, I Say I'm taking him, follow the leg up approximately where his shoulder blade is and squeeze on off, he falls DRT!! We take some great photos and head in early as I have had an epic day and we are ready to relax while drinking a few cocktails, crown and coke, a famous Texas wicket.

We have had a few so if my grammar is off I'm sorry, lol

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 07:53 PM

Here's the latest round.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 08:05 PM

That is the big 38"+ cap e buffalo that was threatening to chage us.

I did not harvest it but came dang close

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 08:32 PM

Great Trophies. Living this one through your stories. keep em coming.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 08:44 PM

I have been asked how big the kudu was, 56", a true trophy
Posted By: bradyf

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 09:12 PM

Very nice!! Great story's,keep the coming.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 09:14 PM

Will do Brady

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 10:08 PM

Well, I'll take it back then! coolpics

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 10:49 PM

Well that just ruined it for me. I can't post pics knowing that.
Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/21/14 11:31 PM

Awesome stories. Great great Kudu. A true trophy.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 12:43 AM

Nice Kudu!!!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 09:11 AM

We woke up this morning and went to shoot the rifles to simulate a lion hunt just for good measure. As we have no clue when the trackers will call and say they are on fresh tracks. We went through the process from start to finish in preparation. My target died all 4 shots so we all felt extremely confident. Our morning place was to go sit at a waterhole where both waterbuck and zebra frequent, Kobus and I get dropped and have a run in with a oryx cow, diker and two Steinbeck. The Steinbeck walks within 5 yards as he has no clue what we are. I got some good video of that as this was my first time to actually hunt with my camera. Suddenly the radio barks and it is Mack saying they have a lion that has made a kill and is dragging it to her area for breakfast. We rush to the border and meet up with the tracker. I see the drags and I am nervous, existed, scared and the unknown is terrifying.

We track for 45 minutes to an hour and finally spot it slipping through the thick bush, Mack whispers be prepaid to shoot through the brush bc I have to, I concur.

We loose visual and this is where it gets nerve racking. I have my 9.3X64 shoulder, loaded and ready to shoot if we are charged or she offers a shot. We track her into a creek bottom and stop to try to here her move or see her, we suddenly hear her pooping the bones of her kill, it is so thick we have to back out bc she is close and can charge any moment.

We slip around the back side of the brushy creek and I see her, I tap Mack on the shoulder and point he see her now, we adjust angles, she is laying in the creek eating her kill which turned out to be a warthog.

With her laying in the creek there is no good shot, she is broadside but laying, she slightly lift her chest up and Mack tells me shoot, I fire a center shoulder shot from 40 yards away and she jumps, I reload and fire again as she is quartered away, reload and she's laying down with two fatal shots, I change angles walking backwards keeping my crosshairs on here I case she stands up, I quickly put in the final blow and she is dead.

The rush, excitement, adrenaline, terrifying hunt has been a perfect success. Could not have preformed better, no back up shots from the PHs as they don't like to anyway unless it's a life or death situation.

We slowly approach still having my crosshairs on here for insurance, we poke her and she doesn't move, she is HUGE, dark winter skin and has huge paws and teeth. This is a native Botswana lioness.

My first big 5 is DRT and I'm still shaking with excitement

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 09:37 AM

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 09:45 AM

Boy you are deadly. Very nice cat.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 10:45 AM

I'm never very lucky but I have had a lot of things go in my favor here

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 02:03 PM

That's one big kitty cat!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 02:07 PM

465 pounds

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 02:18 PM

Wow, 465 pounds of bone crushing beast. Congrats, great shooting.
Posted By: SheepHunter

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 02:55 PM

FANTASTIC, CONGRATULATIONS up cheers

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 03:11 PM

Thanks Eric
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 04:09 PM

Looking good Cody! Thank you for sharing!!!
texas

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 04:28 PM

Great read and the photos are awesome! Well Done sir!!!
Posted By: bow-man

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 08:42 PM

Freaking Awesome..........CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!! up

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/22/14 10:28 PM

Congrats. Keep knocking em down.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 09:33 AM

We took most of yesterday off to relax and talk about the lion hunt. We did see three 38-41" Buffalo come near camp and they stared at the fire in the pit.

We woke up this or morning and headed to sit at the waterhole where the waterbuck and zebra have been spotted a few times the last couple of days. We waffle there hours and saw two oryx, 2 warthogs, 6-7 Tsesebe, young kudu bill that's going to be a stud in two years. A big Steinbuck came in and we liked at him closely, he loled to be 4.4.5" which is huge, equivalent to a 56" kudu. I decide to take him as he's about 70 yards away and squeeze one off, feels great but he drops and pops back up and is off to the races. I was taught if anything gets up shoot again, so I did. He he's hauling balls into a brush draw, I get on him, lead a little and squeeze, he barrel rolls. We get Tobin and my first shot is a 12 ring, how that bastard got up and ran we have no idea, unfortunately my second shot was in the neck, shooting this 9.3x64 resulted in disaster.. Nearly blew his head compleatly off, this obviously sucks as I planned on full body mounting this little stud. We are either going to find a cape around here or I'll just shoot another..

We are in for a mid day break. I have a zebra or waterbuck left and two warthogs on my bag list

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 11:30 AM

Good luck
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 11:40 AM

cheers Great trip so far

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 12:42 PM

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 01:18 PM

Nice steenbuck, Cody!

Last year, among my 17 trophies was a fine steenbuck of my own. My daughter decided to post pictures of my animals on her Facebook page. The comments were generally quite favorable, but two different friends, upon seeing my steenbuck, commented that it was unfitting that I should shoot a baby antelope!

They had no idea that a trophy steenbuck barely weighs 25 lbs. My daughter educated them for me.....

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 03:24 PM

Thanks bud, it wasn't in the harvest list but we saw it and I have seen quite a few since I have been here and this was the largest so I took it. Bummed the cape is ruined but we will get it handled one way or another

It's amazingly small and part of the Tiny Ten so now that's a goal to compleat, if I see a big Diker here I will take him so I'll have 2/10 completed, it's a start.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 03:24 PM

Well we just returned to camp after our evening sit at a waterhole, we saw three large Buffalo, 7-8 Tsebee, 4 smaller Warthog, 3 sable, 7-8 Gemsbok and 2 Zebra

I was able to harvest this awesome stallion! My wife requested if I had a chance to take one so she could make a full skin rug, well baby; daddy out the whomping on it for you, didn't even take a step, DRT!

Only a few animals left to harvest; a small warthog for lioness mount, a big ole boar or two for a skull mount and the 24-26" impala we saw today as he is amazingly big!

The fellas at Hunters Creek Safaris know there stuff and have true trophy animals!! You gotta check us out at

Hunterscreek.co.za

Please ask me any questions you may have as this is the opportunity of a lifetime and is completely affordable for anyone even on a tight budget with a well thought out saving plan!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 03:25 PM

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 03:43 PM

Nice looking zebra! Congrats!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/23/14 04:37 PM

Thanks you. It's pretty rare to shoot a stallion that's not scared up from fighting. They are pretty aggressive with each other. Normally having bite and kick marks everywhere so most people shoot mares.

This was actually the first zebra I have seen, after snapping pics in a mother location because the buffalo where there we saw three more, lol. Luckily mine was in great shape and old so it didn't matter

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 10:30 AM

Hunted all morning 6-7 hours chasing a big impala and got him down, guessing 25" will tape him later.

Stumbled on a giant warthog 12"+ and took a frontal shot and shot an inch over him at 120. I was pissed bc I wanted him dead

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 10:48 AM

A 25" impala is a stud! It will require a shoulder mount, at least. Congrats!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 10:56 AM

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 11:01 AM

Nice impala. Congrats on great safari

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 11:16 AM

Thanks y'all

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 05:14 PM

What a day! I know I keep saying that but I truly can't believe the experiences I keep having. Today was unique, lots of safari style hunting from the Land Cruiser opposed to spot and stalking like we have been doing all week. We start of by covering the perimeter as the sun starts to light the maze of roads. We are specifically targeting big warthogs and a monster impala we have been chasing for a day and a half, he is a once and a lifetime kind of trophy as he is sure to surpass 25". As we approach one of the water holes we see several Kudu cows a young bull and a shooter bull along with a few smaller warthogs and tasebbe. As we continue to drive we spot several groups of Impala but most are female or younger buck with the occasional shooter for most but I have already taken a large one and an extremely old one so I pass. We also spot tons of Steinbok but nothing larger than I have already harvested as he was well over four inches. As we head to a small water hole where a giant warthog had been spotted several times we see him, I am shocked how big he is, looks to be 12"! We stop the cruiser and dismount and I instantly check the wind with a swift kick in the dirt road, it's perfectly in our face. We head into the thick bush to get closer as he is 400 yards away and I am still toasting the 9.3x64 firing a nearly 300 grain bullet so I only feel comfortable out to about 200 with it. We approach slowly and see him feeding closer down the road, we set up and the wind swirls and is hitting my neck, this is bad. He is facing us now alert we are there, I take steady aim from 250 yards and squeeze as I am kneeling to steady my shot, I see the bullet impact right over his back, I pop up and follow him through the thick bush but since may first shot didn't connect I opted not to shot and possibly wounding him with a low probability shot. I am bummed and highly disappointed as it was a huge warthog, just like I had been seeking. We continue to cruise around slowly looking deep into the bush for any movement. We see lots of game such as Kudu, Bushbuck, Imapala, Warthogs, Giraffe, Tasebbe, Eland, Diker, Stienbok and monkeys.

We decide to go back through an area where we had spotted a large group of warthogs earlier and they are back, nearly 1000 yards away down a road. They are feeding with a large group of Sable behind them so I have to be careful of my shot. We sneak for what seems like an hour through the thickest of bush and bump into a large group bedded in a creek bottom, they blow out and take the ones we where targeting with them.

It's about noon so we head back to the T in the road and go the other way this time, a few minutes later we see a heard of Impala and dismount once again. We instantly see the huge Impala ram. He is quartered away about to disappear into the thick bush, I take quick aim behind his last rib which will put the exit on the opposite side mid shoulder and squeeze one off, he drops!, Dead Right There! We are excited and can't believe how big he is once I get him in my hands, it's a true trophy of a lifetime as he will easily clear 25".

We load him up after a few photos and the skinners take him to the skinning shack. We decide to grab a quick breakfast and head out for the evening. That hit the spot and fueled my energy level after all the stalks we did earlier in the morning.

We obviously head straight back to where I missed the huge warthog and we see one running through the bush so I take aim quickly again and squeeze one off as he hits an opening, he drops! We get to him and he is a respectful warthog that will suite my full body lioness mount perfectly. Normally I wouldn't shoot with out knowing just how big it was but I saw 5-6" tusk on a good body and made the quick deacon, I'm glad I did because it looks identical to the one my lioness had killed before I harvested her. Plus it was a phenomenal shot that boasted my confidence after the early miss on the giant warthog.

As we are headed to the skinning shack we decide to check another waterhole and see a big warthog, he sees us and spooks but doesn't burn out as he just walks off, this is a good sign we may be able to get on him. The big problem was there was a few waterbuck that where spooked badly as we entered the bush. There is a large creek bed next to the waterhole so we know that's where the warthogs are headed, unfortunately so are the waterbuck, we expect them to ruin it but we see the hogs cross the creek, the wind is perfect so we continue on. This is where things get entertaining and in a hurry! We stalk a few hundred yards and see them again the have made a small loop for some reason, my PH, Jannie said there he is and points I get on him and kneel for a steady rest as he's 90-100 yards but as I'm kneeling I see him disappearing from my cross hairs I I see he's in a small depression, he starts to trot off so I snap up and squeeze one off as I'm holding oh his shoulder, I know it's a little high so I run towards where he was expecting to have high shouldered or spinner him, I hear him crashing through the brush so I stop and let Jannie catch up as I have covered the 100 yards and am standing where he was when I shot. We hear him crashing still so I know it was high and he's wounded back making for a dangerous situation in the thick bush. I decide to cowboy up and go after him full steam, heading towards the noise. I see him again as he is running off and quickly shoot, connecting again, he rolls and I chamber another round, as I get closer he is down and I put an insurance round dead center in his shoulder, I see he is huge tusk end and huge bodied making for a great trophy! Jannie and I start to celebrate and all of a sudden he stands up, facing me, lucky I had chambered a new round as we are staring face to face a mean 8' separating us, I am waiting for the charge as I know its about to happen, so I take one step to the side and as he charges I shoot him square in the shoulder again, dropping him only three feet from feet, he is done. What a freaking hunt! We celebrate and talk about how exciting it was and how Janine had his rifle on him to and was about to shoot to keep my out of harm only seconds before I took that last shot. That's a great PH as he knew I had it under control and didn't shoot, making this my trophy and my story.

Pure excitement is all I have had since my arrival last week and I don't want to leave but I know my lil girl and wonderful wife will be as excited to see me as I am to see them. It has been a great trip all around with great food and great people. I would like to personally thank Kobus, Mac, Madeline and the rest of the great crew hear at Hunters Creek Safairs as it has truly been the best hunt of my life and one to never be forgotten. The hunting, company, food, and whole expedia nice for my first trip abroad a truly awesome exspeiraince, one to Never to be forgotten. My plane departs Joburg at 6:50 tomorrow night so I am tagged out and ready to begin my long journey home. Which will include a 6 hour stop in Paris, France to take a look at this Eiffel Tower I have heard about.

Until next time good hunting!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 05:19 PM

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 07:20 PM

Nice! The warthog was one of my most sought after trophies when I was there and when I go back, I'll be wanting another one! Not sure what it is about them, but they are always high on my list!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 07:39 PM

I love em, they are smart, fast, small targets, giant tusk, mean you name it they do it including try to eat this Texas boy!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 09:11 PM

Great write up Cody. It was a blast following along and reading your stories and seeing the harvest pics. Congrats on a great trip

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 09:12 PM

Thanks, sucks to see it end but I'm out of time and money lol

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/25/14 10:13 PM

I really wish that your trip didn't have to end. Reading your words made it feel like I was personally there. I've enjoyed living through your updates so much that I'd consider using your PH/outfitter.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/26/14 07:45 AM

Glad you enjoyed my report!

I wish it didn't have to end either but I have to go back to the real world, leaving this paradise behind.

Just got in from riding the ranch one last time. Hoping to find another huge warthog, big Diker or a Jackall. We saw two Jackall on the neighbors place and I tried lip sqeekinh them in to no avail. Saw quite a few warthogs but no big boys. Also saw 2 diker, one of which was almost mature

Sitting down about to eat breakfast before the 5 hour truck drive back to Johanasburg where I depart at 6:50pm
Posted By: Matt1023

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/26/14 04:05 PM

Great trophies, sound like a great hunt. That kudu you shot is extremely impressive. Ive taken 3, and I can wait to get back for another one.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/27/14 05:17 AM

Thanks guys!

Gathered my my cities permit along with completing my ship and dip info for all 13 animals. We left the ranch at 11:00am and found traffic quickly as they where doing road construction, if you want to call sitting in the shade rolling what looked to be dice working, lol. After 8-10 blockades we made it to the highway and stopped for some fast food at Steers, a local hamburger joint. As we where on the main highway we passed several ranches and saw some kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest and a few other odds n ends, every time we said that would probably be the last african game I saw, bam we would see more. I took this as a sign Africa didn't want me to leave, so we turned that truck around and went back to the ranch! Ok ok I'm lying but dang did it suck to leave. I made it to the airport and managed not to cry upon entering knowing I was leaving the best place on earth I had ever been.

I did a little souvenir shopping for my wife and kiddo and went to find my gate, they where boarding as I approached. I reluctantly walked into the plane as I knew I was about to leave Africa for good but knowing I would be back and be back for a lengthy stay next year eased the pain. I will be spending July 15 - Septmeber 1 at Hunters Creek Safaris, bringing a string of friends and my fishing/hunting customers with me and will also become the US booking agent for them. I will be assisting in the booth at the Dallas Safari Club convention in Dallas this January. Yea I know that's a long time but luckily they took me in as part of the family and it was truly sad to leave everyone and since I have a partnership with one of the owners best friends in the states they trust my judgment and knowledge to get this ranch rolling next season.

The plane ride to Paris was smooth and we didn't crash into the ground so I call it a success. The food was quite good this time with chicken and steamed veggies for dinner shortly after taking off and breakfast an hour before we landed which consist of two crescents with fruit jam, fruit platter and orange juice. I slept most of the time as I am trying to get my sleep schedule back. I was lucky not to have and issues when I landed in RSA as most folks need sleeping pills to get to sleep the first day or two with some having to the whole trip. He'll I was up 30 minutes before my alarm everyday except the day we cracked the bottle of crown open, at least it lasted an hour or so. wink

I am now in Paris and waiting for my flight to board, only about 4 more hours, lol. With as smooth as things have gone this trip I opted out on seeing the town as I'm sure I'd miss my plane. I'm going to head to the shopping area and grab some souvenirs and a quick breakfast.

On another note..
Kobus and Mack had another from the states hunter fly in a day or so ago for a large hunt, a 50# elephant hit the ground this morning after it charged! I haven't spoken with them for details but will post when I do.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/27/14 10:19 AM

I love em, they are smart, fast, small targets, giant tusk, mean you name it they do it including try to eat this Texas boy!

My brother, upon seeing his first running herd of warthogs with their tails vertically erect, said, "They look like a pig's idea of a dune buggy!"

They ARE special animals.

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/27/14 08:17 PM

That's funny bc I thought the exact same thing

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/27/14 08:18 PM

Taking off from Atlanta headed to love field, heck of a trip back, two 12 hour planes rides down, 1 two hour trip left!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/27/14 09:14 PM

Great hunt and an awesome report, thanks for all the detail and photos!

Re: Headed to South Africa! - 08/30/14 07:42 PM

Not a problem elkhunter, I enjoyed doing it and have had lots of positive messages and emails about it. I had over 24,000 views in 9 days between here and another forum
© 2019 Texas Hunting Forum