Texas Hunting Forum

another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike!

Posted By: Rob Lay

another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/10/14 06:25 PM

I joined Mike and guide Tyler down by the Devil's River for some hot summer trophy Aoudad hunting.

Tuesday - I flew into Ozona at 6pm and we were glassing the ranch by 7:30. Things looked like they were going to be rough, we didn't spot a single Aoudad until driving out in the dark had a Ewe and Lamb cross our path.

Wednesday - We glassed 8 hours from sunrise until early afternoon, then another 3 hours that evening. It was a great spotting day, saw 40-50+ in different groups, including a BIG boy 30"+ other side of Canyon out of range and not good opportunity to stalk.

Thursday - First thing in morning driving from one glassing spot to another we checked one of the deer feeders and there was a BIG boy on it. We moved into position 180 yards on shooting sticks, the ram hadn't spotted us, but was walking away quickly. I wasn't even on the animal when Mike had to start calling him to stop walking. Quartering away hard and not wanting to miss the opportunity, I took the shot and cleanly missed! It was very humbling and a good experience. After having a perfect record with this gun (300 yard Pronghorn, 200 yard Boar, 320 yard Aoudad, and 440 yard Aoudad) I simply blew it! I know I'm not a great shot, but thought I was better than this. Through rest of day and other 11 hours of glassing we spotted another 40-50+ Aoudad up to 26" range.

Friday - First thing Tyler and I setup on the feeder while Mike glassed a nearby canyon. We spotted a great buck and other does, but no Aoudad. We glassed several spots and about 11 AM spotted a group of Aoudad and nice ram OVER 1 mile away opposite canyon. We had to drive around into valley and then hiked up the mountain. The Aoudad first weren't in the cut we thought, but realized we were one cut over. We finally spotted what we thought was the group on the ridge. We moved into position, but the ram wasn't to be seen. We watched this group for about 20 minutes before they filtered off.

The Shot - We were heartbroken after the long spot & stalk. Mike started heading to another cut and thought just came to me, since here, just take the 20 steps and look deeper into the cut. Sure enough looked over and the ram had been on second ledge just 25 yards below where we had been looking the entire time. He was locked on a hot Ewe (in August!), had no idea we were there. Mike got back over with my sticks. After I took my last two Aoudad with long shots, it was nice to have a short 80 yard shot or so. laugh Frontal shot quartering just slightly the 7 mag Barnes TTSX 150gr dropped him dead.

Thanks to Mike and Tyler, it was a tough week, but so rewarding in the end. Sorry I missed the big boy, but so much better to take one the way we did vs. the feeder.

Posted By: Mfloski

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/10/14 08:11 PM

awesome, cant wait to try this!
Posted By: therancher

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/10/14 08:45 PM

Congrats! I love that country!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/10/14 09:04 PM

Congrats, great country and great hunt. August is a little early for rut but then again when a female is willing the male of the species is also.
Posted By: the lab

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/11/14 01:51 AM

congrats on an awesome hunt and an AMAZING aoudad
Posted By: JKC

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/11/14 01:13 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/11/14 02:30 PM

Congrats!
texas
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/11/14 04:12 PM

Nice! Thanks for posting!
Posted By: NMGW

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/11/14 06:31 PM

Nice Ram, good story. Thanks for posting..........
Posted By: bow-man

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/11/14 06:58 PM

Nice Ram !!! Love tha video up
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/11/14 09:47 PM

Love to hunt those boogers!!
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/11/14 10:10 PM

Congrats, can't imagine the heat out there.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/12/14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Congrats, can't imagine the heat out there.

80 low in morning, 100 by afternoon. smile we gave it 100%, nothing was left end of day and I'm in OK shape. 3 hours of AC and nap in afternoon got us fueled up for evening hunt. I'm a little disappointed I just didn't have the energy or time to do more Smallmouth fishing or any artifact hunting.
Posted By: heathe

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/12/14 03:29 PM

Congrats bud good looking sheep
Posted By: Circle NA Ranch

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/12/14 03:49 PM

Congrats! Great Ram & love the video!
Diane
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/17/14 12:58 AM

Great video and story!
Posted By: cazador1022

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/17/14 09:58 PM

good job
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/18/14 01:40 PM

As always Rob thank you for coming out. You earned that ram and it came down to the wire.
I will bring my pole next time and we will tear up some smallies
Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: another big Aoudad with Mulie Mike! - 08/19/14 12:47 AM

Dropped him! Exellent
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum