Texas Hunting Forum

axis vs. whitetail

Posted By: Bear Charge

axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 03:13 PM

Are axis doe similar in size to whitetail doe?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bear Charge
Are axis doe similar in size to whitetail doe?

maybe to a doe from illinois or ohio.

Quite a bit bigger than our south texas does.
Posted By: Buckfever_1983

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 03:24 PM

axis does are closer in size to whitetail bucks
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 03:30 PM

our does normally range 100-150lbs. Can't say they are as big as our WT bucks on the ranch because they have tilted the scales in upwards of 275lbs + in the past.
Posted By: Buckfever_1983

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 03:32 PM

let me rephrase that.....east texas bucks lol

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: huntnguide83
our does normally range 100-150lbs. Can't say they are as big as our WT bucks on the ranch because they have tilted the scales in upwards of 275lbs + in the past.

your telling me you've killed whitetail in texas (outside the panhandle or red river country) that weighed 275lbs or over on the hoof?
Posted By: heathe

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 06:32 PM

I have seen several northern strain deer out of pens that weigh that.

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: heathe
I have seen several northern strain deer out of pens that weigh that.

yeah, outta a pen. that dosen't count
Posted By: BBD84

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 07:45 PM

Yes that counts, breeder pens release deer into hunting pasture where they are later hunted and bam, you have a 275 lb dead deer in Tx. I have killed a management deer off the ranch we use to own in Tilden that weighed 237 and one off the junco that weighed 235 not hard for a old big stx buck

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BBD84
Yes that counts, breeder pens release deer into hunting pasture where they are later hunted and bam, you have a 275 lb dead deer in Tx. I have killed a management deer off the ranch we use to own in Tilden that weighed 237 and one off the junco that weighed 235 not hard for a old big stx buck

raising a northern strain whitetail in the pen and then releasing it into the pasture to shoot is not a native texas whitetail that grew to be 275 lbs on the hoof. even if it is a texas strain, a breeder pen is not a natural enviroment, when your force-feeding them protein pellets

I've killed deer that were in the 215 range on the hoof, and I've seen 2 that were 240 on the hoof. as for the "not that hard" part any deer that weighs 240 pre-rut is a big ol' boy, they are not around every corner.
Posted By: Txnrog

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 10:15 PM

Back to the OP. axis does tend to be 110-150lbs, so more than your average native doe, and same or more than some bucks - depending on where you are.

150 is a chunkier for an axis doe though, I would say most approaching that weight are pregnant or protein addicts
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/12/13 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

your telling me you've killed whitetail in texas (outside the panhandle or red river country) that weighed 275lbs or over on the hoof?

Yep,pretty sure that's what I said above. Do a search for "Christmas monster" killed a 213" buck that weighed in at 263lbs. When we High fenced the ranch in the early 80's the owner brought in a few STX and northern bucks. And over the years they've passed down their genetics. Never claimed for them
To be 100% native.

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 12:16 AM

Yep,pretty sure that's what I said above. Do a search for "Christmas monster" killed a 213" buck that weighed in at 263lbs. When we High fenced the ranch in the early 80's the owner brought in a few STX and northern bucks. And over the years they've passed down their genetics. Never claimed for them
To be 100% native.

no, you said you killed deer that weighed in over 275lbs on the hoof.

263 and 275+ is a big difference.
Posted By: Temple

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 12:30 AM

Man those deer are bigger than our deer in northern Missouri. I must be hunting in the wrong places in Texas. Deer that tip the scale at 200 lbs are very large, keep growing them, maybe one of these trips down there I will kill one of em??

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Temple
Man those deer are bigger than our deer in northern Missouri. I must be hunting in the wrong places in Texas. Deer that tip the scale at 200 lbs are very large, keep growing them, maybe one of these trips down there I will kill one of em??

a 200lb live weight deer is a good buck,but not unheard of. a 5 or 6 year old buck in our area will weigh anywhere from 200-220 lbs pre rut-typically. My neighbor killed on that weighed in at 250lbs and we killed one in 2001 that was 240 on the hoof.

but those bucks are rare.
Posted By: TC hunter

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 01:45 AM

M family owns a large ranch in the Guthrie and another by Memphis and I have taken several bucks from 250 to 310

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TC hunter
M family owns a large ranch in the Guthrie and another by Memphis and I have taken several bucks from 250 to 310

310? seriously? you have pictures?
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: TC hunter

310? seriously? you have pictures?
LOL bs Sorry TC hunter. Just not believable enough.

In reply to the original post: Axis does can get a little bigger than WT. 100-150lbs is average. I got my facts right cuz i did a research report on em!
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 03:03 PM

TC hunter is absolutely correct. The deer in the Memphis area are HUGE. Whitetails in the 250-300lb range are taken every year up there. Also 200lb WT does are not that uncommon.

I took a 275lb cull whitetail outside Memphis in dec 2011 - pics were posted on this board at that time. But if you want to see more pics, just go to Plaska lodge website.

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
TC hunter is absolutely correct. The deer in the Memphis area are HUGE. Whitetails in the 250-300lb range are taken every year up there. Also 200lb WT does are not that uncommon.

I took a 275lb cull whitetail outside Memphis in dec 2011 - pics were posted on this board at that time. But if you want to see more pics, just go to Plaska lodge website.

ok...memphis is in the panhandle. Those don't count
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 07:42 PM

TxTrophy85... He doesn't count.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 08:34 PM

There are areas that whitetail will outweigh Axis without any doubt. But in areas where both are commonly found free ranging the Axis bucks and does will in general terms outweigh whitetail bucks and does respectively.

On high fence ranches in South Texas his opinion counts, but I am not sure he has experienced many whitetail outside that area from the posts on this forum anyway.

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/13/13 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
There are areas that whitetail will outweigh Axis without any doubt. But in areas where both are commonly found free ranging the Axis bucks and does will in general terms outweigh whitetail bucks and does respectively.

On high fence ranches in South Texas his opinion counts, but I am not sure he has experienced many whitetail outside that area from the posts on this forum anyway.

I've killed whitetail in south texas, hill country, east texas, up near abiline and in the gulf coast prarie south of I-10 between houston and san antonio.

I know deer
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/17/13 10:02 PM

popcorn
Posted By: HarperDeer

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/18/13 01:53 AM

I killed a big cull 8 pt in Maverick Co back around 2000 or so that weighed 195 pounds DRESSED! Not sure what that works out to live weight but I'm guessing at least 240-250??? Oh, and it was low fence native deer.
Posted By: Chris42

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/18/13 02:29 AM

Sometimes those high fences have holes. A friend of mine shot an Eland. . . was a low fence, but it wasn't native neither.

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/18/13 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: HarperDeer
I killed a big cull 8 pt in Maverick Co back around 2000 or so that weighed 195 pounds DRESSED! Not sure what that works out to live weight but I'm guessing at least 240-250??? Oh, and it was low fence native deer.

in maverick and webb they get that big. your spot on about what it weighed live weight.

biggest one we ever killed on the ranch dressed 198.
Posted By: KMX

Re: axis vs. whitetail - 03/18/13 03:43 PM

I seen a few White Tail smaller ones back in Feb. maybe about 3 feet tall.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum