Texas Hunting Forum

Axis ???

Posted By: TRoberts

Axis ??? - 03/10/13 09:02 PM

My family just bought a ranch in Voss, Tx (20 miles south of Coleman). I've been told there are free ranging axis in the area. Not sure if this is the right area for a questions type post but, I was hoping to get some info on axis i.e., rut, when are they hard horned, best way to hunt/attract them. I just know NOTHING about them except they are very tasty. Lol. Anyways, I know I could do some research but I prefer y'all's personal expertise. Thanks!
Posted By: axismaster

Re: Axis ??? - 03/10/13 09:09 PM

Axis Deer rut all year round. This means that you can see a herd of bucks with some in hard horn, and others in velvet. Most males tend to be hard horned during the Spring/Summer.

Best way to hunt them? Well, Axis are EXTREMLY skittish. Maybe put some trail cameras out over feeders? Try and get to know their whereabouts.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Axis ??? - 03/11/13 02:38 AM

try and view them at a distance in the evening feeding in meadows along the edges of cover.

most bucks are hard horned from may-october.

they rut in jun/july
Posted By: TCB

Re: Axis ??? - 03/11/13 12:35 PM

Alfalfa and Horse/Mule feed has always worked for me to draw them out. They are very skittish animals and you may only get one chance if a good buck is on your property.

Good luck, they are a blast to hunt. I've been chasing them free range for 15yrs and have yet to put a big one on the ground. A big axis buck is my white whale....
Posted By: AllAboutExotics

Re: Axis ??? - 03/11/13 04:29 PM

This might help cut down on your "research" time: AllAboutExotics.com>Name Your Game>Axis Deer

I shot my first "trophy" with a bow, by finding a bedding area and having a buddy do a light "push" during mid day.

Axis hunting is a challenge...and 2nd to none, IMO! Best of luck...and send us the trophy pics!!
Posted By: shyler

Re: Axis ??? - 03/11/13 09:18 PM

I have lived in coleman county all my life and have never seen axis free range, now around panther creek and Gouldbusk, their is a heard of black buck running around, their is another heard of BB running around rockwood on the river also, but like I said I have never seen or heard of axis free range. Their was a hunter that killed a spike axis on the Baird highway this year but he got out of my buddies place and he was tagged an was just next door, I may be wrong but people in coleman county talk an someone would say if they see axis running around, their is a big high fenced ranch in voss the Gorey or gore ranch something like that that have axis and it is a big ranch it is possible that some have got out of his high fence if you are close to him it is possible that you may have a few
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum