Texas Hunting Forum

Ram Hunt

Posted By: big dave 01

Ram Hunt - 02/28/13 04:32 PM

Sometime back I remember seeing someone posting they had reasonable priced ram hunts. I am looking for a hunt for my son for this spring or summer. If anyone knows of a good place please let me know so I can start planing for this hunt. Thanks Dave
Posted By: Mike Garcia

Re: Ram Hunt - 02/28/13 04:41 PM

Where in Texas? I know Duane on here always have good prices on rams, if your a bow hunter 3 fingers have some nice rams as well.

Re: Ram Hunt - 02/28/13 05:00 PM

Yes in Texas, last year we went to a place up arount Mason we were wanting to try some where else this year. This is for my son and neither one of us are bow hunters (yet) my son wants to try it.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Ram Hunt - 02/28/13 05:35 PM

DB Hunting Ranch is in Bertram, TX (near Austin) http://www.dbhunting.com/

I can highly recommend them for a Ram Hunt for a kid. We took two kids there Sun and shoot two Rams.

The Wildlife Ranch is in Mason, TX and provides Hunts as well: http://www.thewildliferanch.com/hunt.htm

I have not been there so cannot comment but I know others on the THF have.
Posted By: Wallhanger

Re: Ram Hunt - 02/28/13 05:37 PM

Thompson Temples there in Barksdale.
Posted By: Aaron-Ibex

Re: Ram Hunt - 02/28/13 06:00 PM

I've hear AWFUL things about wildlife ranch.

My son and I have killed over 12 rams on Rickey Hunt's ranch. Bow ranch but he may let you use rifle. TOP NOTCH place for kids too.

http://www.huntsbowhuntingranch.com/

Re: Ram Hunt - 02/28/13 10:50 PM

We went to the wildlife ranch last year it was ok I guess. My son shot a nice Texas Dall ram. I was wanting a better trip for his next hunt. But was not wanting to spend a fortune for his next ram.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/01/13 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Garcia
Where in Texas? I know Duane on here always have good prices on rams, if your a bow hunter 3 fingers have some nice rams as well.

Give Billy a call with Triple A Outfitters 903-754-2507, he has some nice one's.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/01/13 01:06 AM

Thompson Temple
Posted By: Chasing Bone

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 01:35 AM

Yea take them to DB hunting. That way your kids can hand feed them before they back up and kill them.
Posted By: axismaster

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Chasing Bone
Yea take them to DB hunting. That way your kids can hand feed them before they back up and kill them.

Honestly most Corsican type sheep are tame in most circumstances.

I've heard things about wildlife ranch, seems to be a real, umm? How do I say it?
Posted By: Jared Drzymala

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 04:03 AM

Bone did you have a bad experenice over there or what?
Posted By: Double K Outfitters

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 04:33 AM

Give me a call,I'll make it happen. 254-625-2227

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Youngblood10

Yes sir. Took my son out there and had to explain to him this is not the way we hunt and this was crap and we would not hunt/kill with them again. Also made a marginal shot on a blackbuck that they promised they would find it after we tracked it for 3 hrs. Well never got the buck an invite back or anything. They didn't even try to make it right except to offer me a different skull. I called a few times in a 4 month period and it was one excuse after another until I finally had enough. So yea they put a bad taste in my mouth.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 10:30 PM

Yes sir. Took my son out there and had to explain to him this is not the way we hunt and this was crap and we would not hunt/kill with them again. Also made a marginal shot on a blackbuck that they promised they would find it after we tracked it for 3 hrs. Well never got the buck an invite back or anything. They didn't even try to make it right except to offer me a different skull. I called a few times in a 4 month period and it was one excuse after another until I finally had enough. So yea they put a bad taste in my mouth.

What were the animals like there? how many acres?

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: axismaster

Only got to hunt on one of the places. It was maybe 50 acres. It was pretty small. Their pigs are super wild, but they also were infested with fleas. The blackbuck that I was supposed to shoot someone else shot so we had to go to a different ranch in Kerville.
Posted By: TB338

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 11:51 PM

Not sure about the hunt, U where there, but as far as wounding the animal, I am not sure what U expected after 3 hrs tracking it?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/02/13 11:56 PM

Only got to hunt on one of the places. It was maybe 50 acres. It was pretty small. Their pigs are super wild, but they also were infested with fleas. The blackbuck that I was supposed to shoot someone else shot so we had to go to a different ranch in Kerville.

pigs have fleas....fact of nature

also, if you wound a animal....they in no way, shape or form can guarantee they can find it.

i don't understand how they "could make it right" after you wounded an animal? what did you expect?

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/03/13 12:23 AM

I've heard things about wildlife ranch, seems to be a real, umm? How do I say it?

I've never seen a wild corsican,black hawaiian or texas dall.

some are a tad more skittish, but there a long way from being wiley.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/03/13 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I've never seen a wild corsican,black hawaiian or texas dall.

some are a tad more skittish, but there a long way from being wiley.

Why is that?

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/03/13 01:25 AM

Cause they arnt wild animals. There domestic, man made breeds
Posted By: traviselmore

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/03/13 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: STAGMAN
Not sure about the hunt, U where there, but as far as wounding the animal, I am not sure what U expected after 3 hrs tracking it?

X2. I dont understand why they would be responsible for a lost animal if they tracked for three hours. Any paid hunt I have been on drawn blood is considered a kill, and in my opinion rightfully so. As a hunter I am responsible for the shot and the outcome of the shot not the outfitter/guide.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/03/13 02:15 AM

also, if you wound a animal....they in no way, shape or form can guarantee they can find it.

i don't understand how they "could make it right" after you wounded an animal? what did you expect?

What I expect is for them to do what they said they were gonna do. They said they would keep an eye out for it. Even if it was looking out for buzzards. What I expect is a "we found it" or a "we saw it still running around". Either way I would have been fine. But to not even look for it, as they made it very clear that they did not. That is a bad way to run a business. As for the fleas on the pigs. I have never seen fleas on a pig that I have shot. So don't jump on me for expressing my experience because that was not your experience. By the way I also paid for 2 hats that I kept getting excuses on and never received.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/03/13 02:47 AM

What I expect is for them to do what they said they were gonna do. They said they would keep an eye out for it. Even if it was looking out for buzzards. What I expect is a "we found it" or a "we saw it still running around". Either way I would have been fine. But to not even look for it, as they made it very clear that they did not. That is a bad way to run a business. As for the fleas on the pigs. I have never seen fleas on a pig that I have shot. So don't jump on me for expressing my experience because that was not your experience. By the way I also paid for 2 hats that I kept getting excuses on and never received.

I can't speak for the hats, but as far as the wounded game is concerned, we find maybe 10% of the animals that are wounded after the hunters leave. It took a full two weeks for one of my hunter shot deer to pass on next to a water trough. buzzards don't always find the carcasss either. I would expect not to get anything after the animal went unrecovered.

In regards to the pigs and fleas, I've shot pigs that were so flea ridden in the summer time that they were unskinnable. its very common in the hill country

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/03/13 03:11 AM

I can't speak for the hats, but as far as the wounded game is concerned, we find maybe 10% of the animals that are wounded after the hunters leave. It took a full two weeks for one of my hunter shot deer to pass on next to a water trough. buzzards don't always find the carcasss either. I would expect not to get anything after the animal went unrecovered.

In regards to the pigs and fleas, I've shot pigs that were so flea ridden in the summer time that they were unskinnable. its very common in the hill country

Understand not finding it. But not looking for it when I was assured they would I have a problem with. If I tell someone I'm gonna do something, you bet your a$$ I'm gonna do it. That is what i have a problem with.
Posted By: BSolomon

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/03/13 09:21 PM

Wow you are mad because the hunts are to easy but bad mouth them because it was a hard enough that you did a bad shot and after 3 hrs could not find it. I have hunted on the ranch. Yes not the hunt I think of coming from Wa State but still would not bad mouth them for the hunt. I have been there 2 times and it was a fun way to blow a few dollars.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/04/13 06:31 PM

I was hoping to just go somewhere that it would be a little more of a hunt. I know its not going to be totaly wild hunting rams but thats what my son wants to go hunt so I will take him. Its his reward for bis good grades in school.
Posted By: traviselmore

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/04/13 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: big dave 01
I was hoping to just go somewhere that it would be a little more of a hunt. I know its not going to be totaly wild hunting rams but thats what my son wants to go hunt so I will take him. Its his reward for bis good grades in school.

Rams are a fun hunt but they are not very many places where they are going to be overly spooky. My advice would be to make it a more of a challenge on your end. I know you said that you are a rifle hunter, but you also said your son is considering bowhunting. I would definally suggest doing a ram hunt with a bow. Also you could try to video the hunt. I self film ever time I hunt anything. It is tough but adds a lot of challenge but is very rewarding when done well.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/04/13 07:18 PM

go to kent creek and try and shoot a mouflon....it will be plenty challenging
Posted By: don k

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/04/13 08:50 PM

Like TT85 said, if you want a challenging hunt go after a Mouflon.
And if you really want a challenge do it on foot without a guide.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/04/13 08:53 PM

Oh and most outfitters give hats away for free.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/04/13 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
The good ones usally give hats or atleast something away with hunts LOL

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/04/13 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BBD84

I never got any hats.

Piss on the trophies I killed, now I feel cheated
Posted By: Mike Garcia

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/04/13 11:35 PM

I wear my hat with pride! grin

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/05/13 12:27 AM

I never got any hats.

Piss on the trophies I killed, now I feel cheated
Ihat's because you wern't quick enough.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/05/13 12:44 AM

LOL Thats the truth but hey looka at it this way, Don will have 2 more to shoot in about 3 years for ya Txtrophy LOL

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/05/13 01:00 AM

LOL Thats the truth but hey looka at it this way, Don will have 2 more to shoot in about 3 years for ya Txtrophy LOL

I'll be patiently waiting.

and i want a hat too.

Re: Ram Hunt - 03/05/13 01:09 AM

LOL thats if I dont spend 3 weeks spot and stalking one of them with my bow cause I think thats what it would take at Dons place and his Mouflons for sure, gezzz theyre wild
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum