Texas Hunting Forum

Oryx question I'm stumped????

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/26/13 07:44 PM

I have a heard of 16 +- (2) oryx left on the ranch. They haven't been hunted since cities permit came into affect. I spent sometime at the ranch the other weekend with binos and spotting scope. I saw bulls and cows. Here's my question I haven't seen but one calf in the last year and I don't think it made it. What would be a reasonable explanation as to why I'm not seeing any calves. My bulls are between 3-5 yrs, maybe one or two being older. I did notice they cows with calves will go into hiding sometimes but not a single oryx less than 1-2 yrs can be found on the ranch?

Thanks
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/26/13 08:27 PM

Yotes !????? Or maybe bigger predators. Thise are usually the biggest problem or gay bulls lol

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/26/13 08:57 PM

There ya are bbd84 I knew ud have some advice. Hell maybe they are gay some bulls have kinda a prance instead of a strut lol
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/26/13 09:24 PM

Predator problem bud. We are starting to see calves hit the ground right now.

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/26/13 09:44 PM

That's what I figured. Time to test out the new fox pro!!! Ya buddy
Posted By: AaronM58

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/26/13 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: jorge
There ya are bbd84 I knew ud have some advice. Hell maybe they are gay some bulls have kinda a prance instead of a strut lol

That would be more of Shaw's expertise! peep
Posted By: captdavid

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/27/13 01:11 AM

I don't know if this helps, but a friend had low fawn production on his ranch. He was feeding range cubes containing cotton seed meal. P&W told him that it could act as a contraceptive. capt david
Posted By: hamza

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/27/13 01:27 AM

Are there sheep around? We had this oryx next door.... always with the sheep. Once the sheep were gone the babies started coming.
Posted By: deerdude2000

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/27/13 01:33 AM

You would think oryx cows would keep yotes away!
Posted By: Txnrog

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/27/13 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: deerdude2000
You would think oryx cows would keep yotes away!

I would be a bit surprised that yotes are getting ALL the calfs. We've lost a couple addax to yotes, but it's been rare, and usually after they are about 3-4 months old and the moms are less protective.

You have one bull that's obviously dominant? He may be a dud but still carrying thru with the breeding and keeping the other bulls off the females. I would consider removing what you think is the dominant bull and bringing a new one in to shake things up a bit.
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Oryx question I'm stumped???? - 02/28/13 10:20 PM

Is it possible that your oryx have become too closely related?

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum