Texas Hunting Forum

size this axis buck???

Posted By: sillyhorses

size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 09:22 PM

Just wondering what some of you "pros" would size this axis buck at. Caught on my game cam near Rocksprings, low fence. Sorry the date is wrong on the cam, was in november.

Thanks for the opinions.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 09:47 PM

32-33"
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 09:52 PM

I was thinking more like 34". Hes a pretty nice one.
Posted By: darrack

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 09:54 PM

32 at least. long tines but looks thin and looks like he either has broken caudal tines or short. Great buck though true trophy. love axis
Posted By: TravisMears.com

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 10:01 PM

Looks like a monster that would be a great trophy on the wall. Good Luck
Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 10:06 PM

Has length but weak brows and mass. Seems to not have much width as well. 33 inches.

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 10:06 PM

That's nice knowing a "Good One" is running my neck of the woods. Only problem, he only shows on camera in the middle of night. Bummer!
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 10:27 PM

That is one nice free range axis - I wouldn't hesitate to put him down.

It's hard to judge from one pic and angle, but using my 28" forleg rule, that axis is over 32"-33". I would put him at around 35", maybe even 36" on one side. The antlers look very straight, but the angle may be hiding a curve. Straight line maybe 31-32", but if there is more of a curve we can't see he would be in that 35" range.

His brow looks good, the caudels/cottle look a bit small (but not bad for free range), however it could be the angle.

Of course, he is probably dropped by now and short in velvet. Look around for his sheds - that might be a good way to get an accurate size.

Fine animal!

BTW, what is your connection to Seadrift? I have some property down there and I often fishing the area. I have one of the cottages across from the barkpark - the one with the Contender parked alongside.

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 10:50 PM

Hey John,(your mailbox is full) Seadrift is my winter home, the colorful place on dierlam road near the swan point/harbor road turn. I live in minnesota during the summer, but too dog-gone cold up there now. (zero this morning with 2 days of snow coming)
Great fishing at seadrift, huh?
Posted By: don k

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 11:05 PM

Right side around 33"
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/20/13 11:49 PM

Kewl!!

I have a acre-plus lot at Swan Point, right across the street from Chris Martins BayFlats lodge - on the corner.

Been fishing the area for more than 25 years.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/21/13 02:01 AM

Big enough to shoot
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/21/13 03:14 AM

I think he's pushing 34" on the strong side and a few inches less on the weak side. He's definitely a 32" plus buck. Very nice free range buck.
Posted By: Glowka

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/21/13 03:28 PM

It doesn't matter if he shows up at night. You can shoot him.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: size this axis buck??? - 02/23/13 07:06 PM

I'd shoot his Ars!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum