Texas Hunting Forum

Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx

Posted By: AllAboutExotics

Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/16/11 11:01 PM

If you are a member of the Exotic Wildlife Association (EWA) and/or subscribe to their newsletter, this information hit inboxes today >>> "Three Species" Update

There seems to be some misconception surrounding this subject as of late and the "rumors" have been flying around like crazy, so we wanted to share the information with as many people as possible to keep everyone in "the loop" as to what is going on as it pertains to the addax, dama gazelle & scimitar-horned oryx.

Posted By: Bear Creek

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/16/11 11:17 PM

You beat me to it!!

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully the EWA will be able to overturn this.

Posted By: Brian Drake

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/17/11 12:20 AM

What info???

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/17/11 01:48 AM

Brian, you can read the whole newsletter by clicking on the "Three Species Update" (in bold)...it's a link.

Posted By: Mike Garcia

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/17/11 03:56 AM

Wish wasnt so hard, pricey for a Dama, I could complete my trio

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/17/11 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Garcia
Wish wasnt so hard, pricey for a Dama, I could complete my trio

Likewise....

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/17/11 05:09 AM

My question is which other species are next? Nilgia? Fallow? Eland? The USFWS must have their eyes on others.

Posted By: Kentucky_Windage

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/17/11 06:12 AM

Read much the same info in an email from SCI today.

One thing is certain: When you see the words "federal" and "permit" together, nothing good is likely to come from that. Good luck to those in the trenches in this fight.

This whole business prompted me to go harvest my first scimitar recently.

Posted By: Bear Creek

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/17/11 03:36 PM

Nice Oryx! They're a beautiful animal and fun to hunt!

I'd better get moving if I want an Addax, I guess....

Posted By: browning_bow_tikka_t3

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/17/11 10:49 PM

dumb-a$$ federal govt and judicial system . . .

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/19/11 10:17 PM

"stay in the loop" bump

Posted By: T4PL

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/20/11 03:19 PM

I've been following this issue as it has progressed and I hope for the best, but I do have some thoughts as to how the species could be de-listed as endangered. First, the 3 species are listed as endangered or extinct in their native habitats. Their native habitats exist in developing countries where the political environment and land usage do not hold much hope of ever re-introducing them in sufficient numbers. I can understand the argument that keeping and breeding them in contained areas does not warrant de-listing status even though their numbers are healthy here in Texas. Maybe we should look at introducing them (free range) in a habitat they could succeed and reproduce in here in Texas. I know this is a touchy subject with a lot of people objecting.

There probably are some already out there, but if we established a free roaming herd that was reproducing, could we not say they are now legitimate Texas wildlife and disregard the fact that they originated somewhere else? After all, North America did at one time have camels, rhinos, a type of cheetah, etc. Animals are constantly migrating and moving around, they don't recognize borders. The fact that humans aided them in getting here should be a minor detail. Just a thought.

Posted By: Trozacky

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/20/11 04:02 PM

No way T4PL. TPWD already hates Axis and other non-native species. They would never allow it to happen. Nore do I think they should. Just my $0.02

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/21/11 09:28 PM

Thanks for the link.

I have never been much of a high fence exotic kind of hunter. I have taken an ibex at mason mountain which is high fence so I am not above it. Mostly it is because I am a cheap bastard and can't afford or don't want to pay what most exotic hunts cost. But I have to admit, with the rumors and pending rulings on these three animals, there are some real bargains out there for what I am sure are some great hunts for some great animals that makes me want to reconsider one of these hunts. It's the hunters market right now. I am sure some outfitters/landowners/guides are taking some loses with some of these. Sorry to see it guys. In the end I hope it comes out to not be near as bad as expected for those of you in the exotics business. And that it does not become a trend.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/22/11 05:04 AM

I thought it would be a win win for everyone. At one time the way it was written up was that the breeder would also ship that certain species of exotic back to the country of origin where it is endangered. The way it was documented it would be a one to one, or close to that.

I guess someone always wants more, whether it's there Governments or ours. Oh well

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/22/11 05:16 AM

All I gotta say is good job feds you instigated the slaughter. Guarantee half of our herd in texas will be gone in 90 days at the prices ur gonna start to see.

Posted By: Roo Basher

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/22/11 05:31 AM

It really is sad.

Obamaism at it's worst.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/22/11 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Roo Basher
It really is sad.

Obamaism at it's worst.

Wolves taken off Endangered Species List = Obamaism at its best?

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/22/11 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: jorge
All I gotta say is good job feds you instigated the slaughter. Guarantee half of our herd in texas will be gone in 90 days at the prices ur gonna start to see.

I guarantee you AT LEAST half of the Oryx in Texas have already been killed over the past 2 years, just in anticipation of the new regulations. There will certainly be more shot in the next few months too....

Posted By: activescrape

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/22/11 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: T4PL
It really is sad.

Obamaism at it's worst.

Do you think Obama reintroduced wolves to their former range or something?

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/22/11 11:10 PM

Wade, you're 100% right. AMAZING that ANYONE could think that this decision is going to somehow benefit these animals...but I think we all know that it's not about that. Like it has been termed, this is truly a "death warrant" on these 3 wonderful species.

We've seen this coming for a long time now and suspected that this would infact be the outcome, but now that it's upon us, it really starts to sink in...and it's a very sad day and a dark one in the exotic hunting/breeding industry.

Let's just pray that the same result doesn't befall the "popular" exotics that are known to be on the next list of animals destined for the same penalty...

FYI -- Just got word from the EWA today that it will be 90 days from the ruling being made public (rumor was 30-90) to enforcement.

A real shame that it has come to this.

Posted By: Hoof-Hunter

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/24/11 03:12 PM

Thought I would post the update here for those who do not know who the "three amigos' are. This is the absolute latest from EWA.

Exotic Wildlife Association
Membership Alert

In our commitment to keep our members up to date with latest information, the EWA has received word today that the United States Fish and Wildlife Service will be publishing the final rule regarding the "Three Species" within the next few days. They have indicated there will be a 90 day period before the new rule takes affect. This would mean that they will not begin to enforce this final rule until the latter part of March or the first of April. They have also indicated that they will meet with industry leaders in the next 3-4 weeks to explain the revised provisions in the final rule before it takes affect. We will share those provisions with our members as quickly as they become available.

The Exotic Wildlife Association is committed to continuing our pursuit of all avenues to resolve this situation and we ask our members to stay optimistic as we pursue those legislative and legal remedies. With their recent delisting of the Wolf in the Great Lakes area of the United States, we believe, as do our attorneys, that they have set a precedent that can be also applied to the litigation involving the

"Three Species".

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/25/11 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: activescrape
Originally Posted By: T4PL
It really is sad.

Obamaism at it's worst.

Do you think Obama reintroduced wolves to their former range or something?

No, and I also don't think "Obamaism" has anything to do with the 3 species ruling.

Posted By: AK Safari

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/26/11 10:16 PM

Congress forced the delisting of the wolves after many attempts by the Greenies aided by the administration to stop it. There were countless thousands of dollars in legal expenses by SCI and other groups to delist wolves since they had more than met the bench mark set for the reintroduction.

My thought is that all sportsmen need to aid NRA, SCI and the other groups if you want to retain your rights to hunt any species in the future. These groups support managing species via science and not other means. The attack on these species is just another tactic to take away your ability to hunt one species at a time.

If they win here using legal wrangling then hold on another species is next....

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/27/11 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: AK Safari
Congress forced the delisting of the wolves after many attempts by the Greenies aided by the administration to stop it.

Complete bs. When has this congress done anything this legislative session without throwing a hissy fit and threaten to shut down the government? Please read the article again which states that this administration made the final determination to de-list the wolves. You don't have to support them but you also don't get to make up your own facts to support your ideology.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/27/11 05:51 AM

Certainly not defending congress, however you might check your facts. There is far more to the wolf issue than you can glean from reading one blog......

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/27/11 06:04 AM

Here is a excerpt from the "Wildlife News" one of the other sides publications in case you are interested in why the wolves were delisted. The administration had no choice in the matter unless they decided to allow a government shut down.

Wildlife News April 14, 2011-
" The House and Senate passed a budget bill which included the rider to delist wolves in Idaho, Montana and parts of Oregon, Washington, and Utah but leaves the status of wolves in Wyoming unchanged. The rider, attached by Senator Jon Tester (D-Montana) and Representative Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), mandates that the Secretary of Interior republish the 2009 delisting rule in the Federal Register within 60 days of passage of the bill and restricts the rule from being challenged in court.

President Obama is expected to sign the bill."

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/27/11 06:28 AM

Not defending congress by any means; however you need to check your facts. The delisting was accomplished via a budget rider in May attached by Senators Testor and Simpson....the administration had to sign the bill or the government would have shut down....that is why it happened.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/29/11 06:15 AM

"In the loop" bump. More as we get more on the exact date(s). (Only speculating) but we're thinking the new regulations will "go public" Jan. 1 -- from that point, we're looking at 90 days to take effect.

Posted By: Gil Fisher

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/29/11 07:45 AM

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Posted By: RocksAndKittens

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/29/11 10:00 PM

Thanks for the update! This is very disappointing news.

Sort of on topic observation.

Texas isn't their native range, so we can breed them for profit, seeing how many animals are bred the anti-hunting animal rights types get angry we are killing them all and want to stop it so they can be released in the wild, stopping the hunting will make breeding less or not profitable, mandating wild releases will cost the breeders money instead of making them money, breeders stop breeding the money pit animals, anti-hunting types will demand subsidization of breeders (from their members donations or from the govt.) in order to encourage breeding where no subsidy was needed before.

Or

Someone could set up a non-profit where breeders could donate stock for tax write offs and the non-profit could ship them to Africa or do whatever they want with them.

Also reminds me of how ridiculous our endangered species laws are. Black Faced Impala are endangered in America where exactly NONE of their native range is located, but when my FIL when hunting in Namibia they were shooting them for bait because they were up to their armpits in them.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/29/11 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RocksAndKittens
Thanks for the update! This is very disappointing news.

Sort of on topic observation.

Texas isn't their native range, so we can breed them for profit, seeing how many animals are bred the anti-hunting animal rights types get angry we are killing them all and want to stop it so they can be released in the wild, stopping the hunting will make breeding less or not profitable, mandating wild releases will cost the breeders money instead of making them money, breeders stop breeding the money pit animals, anti-hunting types will demand subsidization of breeders (from their members donations or from the govt.) in order to encourage breeding where no subsidy was needed before.

Or

Someone could set up a non-profit where breeders could donate stock for tax write offs and the non-profit could ship them to Africa or do whatever they want with them.

Also reminds me of how ridiculous our endangered species laws are. Black Faced Impala are endangered in America where exactly NONE of their native range is located, but when my FIL when hunting in Namibia they were shooting them for bait because they were up to their armpits in them.

Welcome to the mess that is USFWS....

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/30/11 12:35 AM

If I remember right the EWA was already working with breeders to ship stock to Africa(for at least the Oryx) and that a herd was being established to re-populate areas in Africa where the Oryx used to be. This will most likely come to a screaching halt!

Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/30/11 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: JakeinTX
If I remember right the EWA was already working with breeders to ship stock to Africa(for at least the Oryx) and that a herd was being established to re-populate areas in Africa where the Oryx used to be. This will most likely come to a screaching halt!

From what I heard, the EWA -after several years of hard work - had the whole thing ready to go to ship Oryx to Libya. Pens created, services setup, the whole she-bang. Then, just before they were going to put them on the boat - the war broke out over there and rebels/government troops leveled the whole facility.

Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/30/11 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: AllAboutExotics
"In the loop" bump. More as we get more on the exact date(s). (Only speculating) but we're thinking the new regulations will "go public" Jan. 1 -- from that point, we're looking at 90 days to take effect.

So what are the new regs? Is it going to be a permit system? Hunting still allowed? How many permits and how hard to get?

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/30/11 06:14 AM

John,

Hunting oryx, addax & damas will be by permit only going forward (similar to how barasingha, eld's deer, red lechwe, etc are handled/hunted now).

Talking to several ranches that currently apply for the currently permitted species: there is a lot of "red tape" involved in applying for these permits and they can only be used on the specific ranch being applied for (non-transferable).

Of the handful of ranches that choose to go through the permitting system, it generally takes anywhere from 6-12 months to get the permits and the penalties for violations are severe, as they are in direct violation of the Lacey Act (most ranch owners do not want to deal w/ the high level of liability involved).

One realistic fear is that w/ this BRAND NEW permitting system, say there are dozens (or more) ranches that apply in the beginning, the permits (and paperwork) is likely to get "bottle-necked" and cause even longer delays. Not saying that it will (no one knows yet), but there is a real possibility that it may take a year (even 2 years) to get the permits approved and supplied.

Long story made longer, what has been created here is....A MESS!!(<----understatement of the year)

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 12/30/11 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: AllAboutExotics
John,

Hunting oryx, addax & damas will be by permit only going forward (similar to how barasingha, eld's deer, red lechwe, etc are handled/hunted now).

Long story made longer, what has been created here is....A MESS!!(<----understatement of the year)

Yeah, and I have heard very few hunting opportunities for the 3 exotics you listed (barasingha, eld's deer, red lechwe). It would suck if oryx and addax hunting opportunities vanished as well.

There's been quite a few great oryx hunt offers posted on the forum in anticipation of the ruling but unfortunately I just can't throw down the money for one of those right now.

I can't imagine that those writing the rules would allow a new permitting system to be so difficult that it would lead to a massive kill off of the oryx here in America. It would reverse all the work ranchers have done in bringing back the species. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'm hoping the USFW service listened to the breeders and ranchers!

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/02/12 09:42 PM

It should come as no surprise, but our inboxes are starting to flood w/ oryx trophy pics! Our buddy CP Wade took this oryx cow w/ his bow this weekend at Porter's Exotics near Flynn. 43 whopping inches!! Congrats to CP on a tremendous animal!

Posted By: don k

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/02/12 10:43 PM

This may sound stupid, but why not call them something besides Oryx etc? I see sheep being called different names. The only way the Feds. could prove different is with DNA samples. You think they have time for all that? They need to be writing more rules and that would be taking time away from that.

Posted By: bu2herndog

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/02/12 11:17 PM

That is one tremendous oryx!

Posted By: Txnrog

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/03/12 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
This may sound stupid, but why not call them something besides Oryx etc? I see sheep being called different names. The only way the Feds. could prove different is with DNA samples. You think they have time for all that? They need to be writing more rules and that would be taking time away from that.

Don, It doesn't matter what you call them, all species on the list are very distinctive when pure. ESA regulations typically only applies to pure-breds - sheep can all interbreed, and most of the sheep you see called different names aren't wild species anyway. Addax and Oryx at least hybridize, and I do suspect you'll start to see more hybrids show up as folks mix their herds to avoid the rules.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/03/12 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: don k

We've heard of several ranches crossing scimitars w/ gemsbok the past couple of years(creating "scimboks")in attempts to circumvent this ruling.

As far as simply re-naming them, I'm sure MOST would never be caught doing so, but probably not worth the SEVERE penalties IF they ever did DNA test your animals.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/03/12 04:46 AM

They will breed with all the hippotraugus antelope; addax, beisa, fringe eared, gemsbok, roan, sable, and Arabian.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/04/12 04:14 PM

It's Official - Looks like they'll require the same permit process as Barasingha, Elds, Arabian Oryx, and red lechwe:

http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Query.asp...&Cache=True

Have not seen the exact rule post to the federal register yet. There was some hope they would streamline the permit process at the same time, but it sure doesn't look like it.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/04/12 05:03 PM

The final rule will become effective 90 days after its publication in the Federal Register on April 4, 2012.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/04/12 05:16 PM

Just talked to the service, April 4th is the effective date i.e. on April 4th all harvests or sales will require a permit. Publication in the federal register will be tomorrow. The language was a bit confusint in the announcement.

The FAQs provide some good info. USFWS doesn't have jurisdiction on ownership of the animals in-state, but does have control on take (period), and any movement across state lines. i.e. you can own them instate, but you can't shoot them without permits as I read the response.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/04/12 05:51 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I quoted that out of the news release which is obviously a very poorly worded sentence.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/04/12 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Miloak
The final rule will become effective 90 days after its publication in the Federal Register on April 4, 2012.

Of ALL sentences in the release to make even the slightest bit unclear, one would think that THIS would not be one of them!! I read it several times and was still so unclear I was about to call Charly Seale at the EWA just to be certain before reporting on it. About the same time, the EWA Alert newsletter hit my inbox:

MEMBERSHIP ALERT

In the Exotic Wildlife Association's effort to keep our membership up
to date concerning the latest information regarding the "Three Species"
(Scimitar Horned Oryx, Addax, and Dama Gazelle) we have received an
advanced copy of the new rule that will be posted by the United States
Fish and Wildlife Service. I have attached the wording of this final
rule with this e-alert. The new rule will take effect 90 days after its
publication in the Federal Registry on January 5, 2012. This means that
those breeders who currently own one or more of the species will have
until APRIL 4, 2012 to obtain permits or legally sell their animals.
This rule will replace the exemption from the provisions of the ESA that
was given to these three species in 2005.

I will be meeting with the USFWS Friday in Dallas to discuss the new
rule and the requirements for possessing, breeding and carrying out day
to day activities managing these three species and will report my
findings to you as quickly as I know exactly what the new requirements
will be and how the USFWS expects to enforce these new regulations.

Please understand the EWA and other associations are still pursuing
legal and legislative remedies that we believe will stop the new
regulations from taking effect.

Charly Seale

Executive Director

Posted By: RocksAndKittens

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/05/12 06:09 PM

Do you know if this legislation affects importing trophies as well?

I just got into hunting and it looks like I won't have the money to get even one of these three animals before the deadline.

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/05/12 10:58 PM

RAK,

There will still be hunting opportunities for these 3 species even after the April 4 deadline. Some ranches w/ herds will choose to go through the permitting application process, thus allowing them to continue to offer hunts once they receive their permits.

What you're likely to see though is the cost to hunt oryx, addax, and damas increasing significantly as a direct result of there being fewer options/ranches (not to mention fewer animals) that offer the new permitted hunts.

If you want to one day take one or all of these species, hope is not lost, and you'll still be able to do so down the road... Price tag is just likely to be higher then.

Happy to have you in the "hunting world"!!

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/06/12 05:57 AM

Sad news fellas they are awesome animals and we all know what happend to the barasingha

Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/06/12 07:29 AM

Darn my trigger finger wants an oryx but my wallet will not open frown

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 05:04 AM

Help me understand this so I can explain it to others. Is this correct?

Some group of people influenced this federal regulation/control over the Oryx, a species where a lot of the remaining animals in the world happen to be here in Texas where they are managed to be a healthy, sustainable, and growing population for hunting.

Now those numbers will be reduced because it will no longer be economically viable and too much government hassle to offer hunts (certainly understandable).

So the net affect of this "protection" regulation will be to reduce the population? This is crazy.

And I have to let these people control my health care?

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 06:46 AM

If I owned them I would be shooting the bulls and all my cows except for about 15 or 20, then I'd throw in a Gemsbok, Sable, or Roan to cover those cows.

Let the other 15 to 20 cows die of old age, and sell the rest as hybrids which would not be on any endagered species act.

Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 01:00 PM

If I owned them I would be shooting the bulls and all my cows except for about 15 or 20, then I'd throw in a Gemsbok, Sable, or Roan to cover those cows.

Let the other 15 to 20 cows die of old age, and sell the rest as hybrids which would not be on any endagered species act.

You would still have to obtain permits to own them before april 4th. If you did not obtain permits on them you would be susceptable to some severe fines that would more than likely shut your place down and leave you homeless. We are getting rid of our oryx and going to start breeding gemsbock now.

Posted By: Pat Lewis

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 05:43 PM

So, the anti cruelty to animals lobby will have achieved their goal. These animals will no longer be "cruelly shot", of course they will mostly be dead but hey that's not their problem.

Sadly the people pushing this agenda are doing it on emotional grounds and therefore are not open to reasonable workable solutions.

Posted By: MAP

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 06:17 PM

Quote:
You would still have to obtain permits to own them before april 4th. If you did not obtain permits on them you would be susceptable to some severe fines

What about free ranging oryx? The Yuttria ranch along the coast have alot, along with several ranches in west Texas. I dont see how its enforcable.

Honestly the best way to go about this new rule, is if no ranch followed it. If everybody just stuck to their guns and didnt roll over and kill every oryx on their ranch, it would be a good way to protest the new rule.

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 06:36 PM

Unfortunatly no landowner is going to put their land/livelyhood at risk over the animal(and I don't blame them). Just means another animal will step in to replace Oryx(most likely Gemsbok). The Fed could levy huge fine/seize land just about anything they wanted for not following rules. It would cost way to much monetarily and emotionally to combat.

Posted By: Hooper21

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 07:31 PM

Exactly what happened when the black-tail prairie dogs were going to be protected. Anybody that had them on their place started poisoning them so they wouldn't have to deal with all the red tape.

Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: MAP
Quote:
You would still have to obtain permits to own them before april 4th. If you did not obtain permits on them you would be susceptable to some severe fines

What about free ranging oryx? The Yuttria ranch along the coast have alot, along with several ranches in west Texas. I dont see how its enforcable.

Honestly the best way to go about this new rule, is if no ranch followed it. If everybody just stuck to their guns and didnt roll over and kill every oryx on their ranch, it would be a good way to protest the new rule.

The rule would still include free range animals. That would be great if all landowners would do that but who's going to wait on all the others to follow suit when the fuzz comes to take their ranches away? no one!

Re: Latest on Addax, Dama Gazelle, & Scimitar-Horned Oryx - 01/11/12 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: huntnguide83
The rule would still include free range animals. That would be great if all landowners would do that but who's going to wait on all the others to follow suit when the fuzz comes to take their ranches away? no one!

The civil disobedience protest sounds great, except when your personal livelihood is tied to it. Then it becomes a whole lot less appealing. Can we all just send them photos of the all oryx they're helping? I'm happy to help one all the way to my living roon so he doesn't have to stay outside in the sun, wind, rain, cold....

CP, Make sure you still have 3 nice ones for when we get down there in Feb. Looking forward to it!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum