Texas Hunting Forum

Low Fence Exotics

Posted By: Codfish

Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 02:22 PM

What are some good exotics you can keep in a net wire low fence ranch? Other than rams, oryx, or black bucks?

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 02:44 PM

Just about any of them can get out of a low fence wire if pressured.

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 02:58 PM

I agree with that, but are their any others that people keep in a low fence operation that dont jump fences. We are going to put in a new net wire fence and would like something we can keep in.

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Codfish
I agree with that, but are their any others that people keep in a low fence operation that dont jump fences. We are going to put in a new net wire fence and would like something we can keep in.

little experience I have seen Blackbuck bucks will stay in pretty good, Blackbuck does will get caught by Coyotes.

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 04:05 PM

How big of a place?
How much brush?

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 06:29 PM

1,600 acres 60% Brush.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 06:41 PM

Alot will depend on what kind of habitat/feed you provide and how you condition the animals.

Another big factor is what do your neighbors have in their pastures.

If you breed in separate pens and release shooters you will be fine. Buy a bunch of wild stock and you could lose some. I have seen fallow and Sika in low fence but they were fairly tame.

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 09:21 PM

Neighbors wont have any exotics, just cows.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 10:08 PM

i would say just about all of these could get out if they really wanted to but if you have plenty of food water and cover id say you wouldnt have a problem keepin a good number of them on your 1600 acers...are you goin to hunt them? stick with archery if you do...alot less pressure on the animals...IMO

Posted By: clharr

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/14/11 10:58 PM

I seem to remember a place between Cherokee and Llano that has what looks like blackbuck on a low fence.
A guy in San Saba turned some axis loose on his place, they jumped the fence and live across the road on the neighbors now.
We have low fence axis at both ends of the road now but still haven't had any show up on our place.

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/15/11 02:28 AM

I have driven by a place in Medina a couple of times and they have 4 blackbucks on a low fence place.

Posted By: HiBanks

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/16/11 03:08 AM

I have addax on a low fence place.

Re: Low Fence Exotics - 10/17/11 02:01 PM

Thanks guys any one else?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum