Texas Hunting Forum

BIG Ibex billy for sale.....

Posted By: Eland Slayer

BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 05:58 PM

37"-40" Nubian/Alpine Ibex cross billy for sale (live) - $4,500

You don't hear about that combination very often.

Will try to get pics....

Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 06:06 PM

Interested. Pics please.

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 06:13 PM

Here he is.....he is BIG!!

Posted By: Txnrog

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 10:03 PM

Think you got some bum info on that one. 2 knob-keeled ibex species with socks would struggle to make a straight-keeled white goat.

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Txnrog
Think you got some bum info on that one. 2 knob-keeled ibex species with socks would struggle to make a straight-keeled white goat.

I believe you're right.....to me he looks more like a Nubian/Persian cross. I'm just passing along the info as it was given to me, but I will ask some more in-depth questions.

Stand by....

Posted By: godfather

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 10:36 PM

either way nice Ibex

Posted By: don k

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 10:40 PM

Txnrog is right, but I don't see any nubian in him at all. You are good on the horns though. Good luck with your sale.

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
Txnrog is right, but I don't see any nubian in him at all. You are good on the horns though. Good luck with your sale.

Well he's certainly not pure Persian.....but he definitely doesn't have any domestic goat in him either. So maybe Alpine/Persian??

Posted By: bu2herndog

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/08/11 11:18 PM

I know nothing about Ibex, but he sure does have some nice head gear.

Posted By: Insight Hunting

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/09/11 12:18 AM

Ibex...... That's a kind of goat, right? Just kidding. Good luck on the sale!!! Nice animal.

Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/09/11 01:03 AM

Not a bad looking ibex. It's hard to know so many ranches let them cross These days

Posted By: don k

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/09/11 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert Stuart
Not a bad looking ibex. It's hard to know so many ranches let them cross These days
The purer they are the harder they are to raise. Mine look pretty good but they are not pure and I lost over 40% of the kids this year and they are in a 10 acre trap.There were no losses from predators. If they were in the main pasture I would have lost more.I have 3 nannies and a couple of billies in a 75 acre pasture. I have raised 1 kid in 2 years.

Posted By: Txnrog

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/09/11 02:02 PM

Nice looking ibex either way.

You'll have to pardon the rant, but it drives me a bit up the wall that we don't have ANY form of common language and standard definitions in this industry - particularly when it comes to animals that hybridize. People know that when Nubian, Alpine, Persian, Siberian, etc are added to the title, the price goes up. Even if the critter bears no resemblance to the 'parent' species. See it happen quite a bit with sheep as well, and to a lesser extent with some of the deer that hybridize (Elk, Red, Sika, etc). IMO, It's either a hybrid, or pure bred (or 7/8ths, which is close enough to most)

It's a shade dishonest to the breeders, and the end customer (hunter). In many cases, you're talking about a price difference akin to selling a ford focus for the cost of a BMW.

Wade, please don't take it as a slant at what you have above, you have the information you have, and are passing it along. Beautiful hybrid Ibex, and hope you get what he's marked at.

Re: BIG Ibex billy for sale..... - 06/09/11 02:14 PM

Nice looking ibex either way.

You'll have to pardon the rant, but it drives me a bit up the wall that we don't have ANY form of common language and standard definitions in this industry - particularly when it comes to animals that hybridize. People know that when Nubian, Alpine, Persian, Siberian, etc are added to the title, the price goes up. Even if the critter bears no resemblance to the 'parent' species. See it happen quite a bit with sheep as well, and to a lesser extent with some of the deer that hybridize (Elk, Red, Sika, etc). IMO, It's either a hybrid, or pure bred (or 7/8ths, which is close enough to most)

It's a shade dishonest to the breeders, and the end customer (hunter). In many cases, you're talking about a price difference akin to selling a ford focus for the cost of a BMW.

Wade, please don't take it as a slant at what you have above, you have the information you have, and are passing it along. Beautiful hybrid Ibex, and hope you get what he's marked at.

No offense taken.....

I agree whole-heartedly. Hybrids should not bring the type of money pure-breds do.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum