Texas Hunting Forum

Decoy sets from opening day to the last day

Posted By: CTX Mav

Decoy sets from opening day to the last day - 03/06/23 01:53 PM

Do y’all do anything different with your decoys from the first to last day of the season?

I use the same setup all season but I’d like to be more educated on the subject. I put a feeding hen down with a wimpy Jake behind her. Has worked well for me.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Decoy sets from opening day to the last day - 03/07/23 06:31 PM

At the beginning of the year I will run a full strut Jake, laydown hen, and feeding hen. Jake is up over the laydwon hen and the feeding hen spread 5-7yds out to the side. As the season progresses and the birds aren't as aggressive, I will run a 1/2 strut jake with laydown hen if anything at all. I have killed more birds without a decoy than with. Its all about how you set up plus what kind of area you are hunting. If you set up correctly you dont have to have decoys at all.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Decoy sets from opening day to the last day - 03/09/23 07:00 PM

I have killed lots of gobblers with and without decoys. Most of the time I use 1 or 2 hens and a standing jake. When I could move around a lot I used 1 or inflatable hens and they worked well.

Last weekend of Season a few years ago in Eastland County same setup same opening 2 hens and a jake. Killed a gobbler opening weekend, another about half way through the season 2 the last weekend of season and one by a kid the Youth weekend after season.

After I killed the 2 during the last weekend. Left the stuff there went and got the truck instead of carrying 2 out, there were was a gobbler strutting in the decoys when I drove up.

That was a great place for turkey but same decoys worked start to finish. Decoys are good for taking the gobblers attention from the hunter and where the calling was coming from.
Posted By: howl

Re: Decoy sets from opening day to the last day - 04/13/23 01:56 AM

Stop playing with dolls. Makes it all simpler.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum