Texas Hunting Forum

Safety of hunting Turkey on Public

Posted By: Hopedale

Safety of hunting Turkey on Public - 03/22/22 01:33 AM

What are your tips?
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Safety of hunting Turkey on Public - 03/22/22 02:21 AM

I posted on your other thread but I will add here that I only hunted turkeys here in east Texas. Never ran into another hunter where I went. Also hunted Oklahoma and only other hunters I saw were camping same place I was. Never ran into another hunter while in the field. Same with Kansas.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Safety of hunting Turkey on Public - 03/22/22 02:32 AM

Tip no 1. Don't look like a turkey.
Posted By: TXHunter0619

Re: Safety of hunting Turkey on Public - 03/25/22 06:32 PM

Really depends on what public land you're heading too. The bigger the better. I was with a buddy on opening day down in Bandera County, must have been 80 hunters on 800 acres. Scary number added to which we only ever heard the gun blasts happening on neighboring private. We wore orange walking in and out as did most others.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Safety of hunting Turkey on Public - 03/27/22 08:18 PM

Hunters orange when moving around and some secured to tree above you when sitting at one calling.

Do not wear red or blue

I have seen turkeys killed when using the decoys with orangr on head and neck.

I have not hunted public land in Texas but have in Mississippi. During deer season I have called in gobblers inside 10 yards quite a few times while sitting at the base of a tree wearing orange vest ant cap. 3 times within arms distance

Camo helps you get away with movement, but you can kill turkeys while not in camo. I killed my first 3 before I owned any camo, one was on public land, shot him at about 15 yards
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Safety of hunting Turkey on Public - 03/28/22 10:42 PM

Rethink using your gobble tube. I know, personally, 2 people who were shot turkey hunting. Both were using gobble tubes. One was pretty minor, had to get 20 or so pellets plucked out him. the other was actually pretty serious requiring several surgeries.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum