Texas Hunting Forum

If I Was A Turkey Hunter.....

Posted By: Tbar

If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/26/21 02:19 PM

.....I would poke a scatter gun out the front door and pop one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kmon11

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/26/21 09:05 PM

couple pretty good gobblers there. They are lucky you are not looking for a turkey dinner,
Posted By: claypool

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/26/21 11:46 PM

Maybe you should become a turkey hunter.
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/27/21 11:56 PM

Hi Tbar,
What kind of field is that? If you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/28/21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie817
Hi Tbar,
What kind of field is that? If you don't mind me asking? Thanks

??? Its just the front yard in front of the house.

On the porch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Charlie817

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/28/21 03:29 AM

Sorry Tbar,
I saw the tree line in your original post and thought your yard was a field or clearing. Then I remembered you said "out the front door ". Your second picture explained it. Thanks. Nice looking yard.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/28/21 12:09 PM

A few of the local residents on a leisurely stroll thru the front yard.

[Linked Image]

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/28/21 02:37 PM

up
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 04/30/21 04:22 PM

Actually if you stuck your gun out the window or door and killed one of the gobblers, you would be a turkey "shooter". For years I hunted with some of the truly great turkey hunting legends and they thought that killing a longbeard in this fashion is a travesty. They would only shoot a longbeard with a shotgun or bow that they called in (most would not use decoys as they considered it cheating). I must admit that if I could not call a gobbler within shotgun range in the spring, then the bird won and I would try him another day. However, if I wanted fried turkey breast for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I might not be as sporting...I, too, would be a turkey shooter.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 05/01/21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vern1

[Linked Image]

[quote=Vern1]A few of the local residents on a leisurely stroll thru the front yard.

Dangit man
Posted By: redhaze

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 05/01/21 03:22 PM

cool
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 12/05/21 03:35 AM

These pictures of y’all’s front yards just remind me I’m living in the wrong place.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 12/05/21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
[quote=Vern1]A few of the local residents on a leisurely stroll thru the front yard.

[Linked Image]

Dangit man

Do the turkeys move to a different roosting area in the fall? Ours do then return in the Spring.

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 12/05/21 11:55 PM

Speaking of roosting. Ours started roosting in some tall spindly trees across from the house. We first became aware they were there when those big old birds were moving around in them...full foliage so you couldn't see them...only see the tops of those spindly trees shaking and bending back and forth. My son thought it was a Jurassic Park size buck making his mark. roflmao
Posted By: Vern1

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 12/06/21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Originally Posted by Biscuit

Dangit man

Do the turkeys move to a different roosting area in the fall? Ours do then return in the Spring.

Yes, they cycle thru then usually return in Spring.
There are quite a few different roosting areas within a 1/2 mile of my house on South, West and North sides along Walnut Creek.
I have a tall stand that I night hunt pigs out of and can see 3 of the roosting areas from it.
I generally get into the stand in daylight and in Jan/Feb when the leaves are down.
We have watched the tops of the trees in these areas fill up with turkeys just before dark a few times.
There was a truck load of white turkeys that turned over about 3 miles from here in early 70's and we have had 2-10 turkeys every season with various amounts of white on them.
There are a couple of mostly white ones in that pic.
Posted By: cbump

Re: If I Was A Turkey Hunter..... - 12/06/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by shea.mcphail
These pictures of y’all’s front yards just remind me I’m living in the wrong place.

I was thinking the same thing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum